The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Sorry, but I have to side with goodhors & sketcher.
    The only "cute" racoon is roadkill.
    Rabies does not only present with foam & agressiveness - your "friendly" coon could very well be rabid -if not now, eventually - and could also be dangerous to your cats if there's competition over food..

Barn I boarded at lost a 20# tomcat to a coon - we found the cat drowned in the pond. A good-sized coon is quite capable of that kind of action.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

2 members found this post helpful.

I kinda assume if I see a raccoon in the daylight he is sick. Then I jump to rabies, it's pandemic here in the burbs.
    The only exception I made to this was a mother who put her brood in our basement window well. It was like being at sea world, you could see them through the safety of glass. Holy cow they were cute little clowns. Anyway when she trundles across the yard during the day I knew she was just trying to get away for some peace and a snack.
    Otherwise raccoons should be heard at night and not seen in my book.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    Wow.
    I'm not dumb.
    I know raccoons carry rabies - ALL animals can carry rabies. He is very clearly not rabid or he would be foaming at the mouth, etc.
    This coon is still very timid. I know to be wary about him because yes, I DO KNOW that he could turn on me at any moment. But considering he is afraid to even fight the cats off for food, I doubt he will harm me as of yet.
    When did I ever say this was Disney and how did Disney even come into the conversation? LOL!
    So you will just assume any coon coming up to a back door to scour in a food dish is rabid? Cool. Unless he's foaming at the mouth and acting crazed, he's probably completely fine.

And FWIW, I did want to shoot him at first.

So much for true confession time - more like get jumped on.
    I didn't see you freak out on the person who feeds a wild porcupine.
    Not to be a mood killer, but actually if the racoon was foaming at the mouth he would be dead soon. Once a mammal shows the signs of rabies, they are as good as dead. It's the time leading up to then (could be up to a month) where there are no symptoms that it is most dangerous to people because you can't see the signs.
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    Wow.
    I'm not dumb.
    I know raccoons carry rabies - ALL animals can carry rabies. He is very clearly not rabid or he would be foaming at the mouth, etc.
    This coon is still very timid. I know to be wary about him because yes, I DO KNOW that he could turn on me at any moment. But considering he is afraid to even fight the cats off for food, I doubt he will harm me as of yet.
    When did I ever say this was Disney and how did Disney even come into the conversation? LOL!
    So you will just assume any coon coming up to a back door to scour in a food dish is rabid? Cool. Unless he's foaming at the mouth and acting crazed, he's probably completely fine.

And FWIW, I did want to shoot him at first.

So much for true confession time - more like get jumped on.
    I didn't see you freak out on the person who feeds a wild porcupine.
    I think that the story of the porcupine, your coon and so many others people make feral pets to very gentle pets out of are scary to hear.
    I expect the reason no one was saying much about the porcupine is that it was a cute story, the first one such and we held our peace.
    Bring on more cute wild animals being messed with and sooner or later someone would warn it is not such a good idea, but who has not done it when they had the chance, even knowing it is a bad idea?

The sad part is that in the end, so many times the animal is the one that will have to pay, it's life changed and now not being quite wild and definitely not safe as a pet once grown.

Some times, like the stories of Matilda the buzzard, there is truly no harm done.
    Others, well, you keep around some kinds of wild life tame at your own risk.

Yes, when we confess, we get all kinds of responses, some we don't like also.

The fat fluffy barncat whom I call Bubba (Bubba-boo, Bubba-loo) is very vocal so he doesn't need me to speak for him.

My youngest cat is named Bubba! He actually answers to "Bubbalicious." As well as Bubba, Bub Bub Bub, Bubby, and Bobby.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Jeez.
    So sorry I even said anything.
    I didn't think I'd get attacked.
    And I NEVER said I was planning on making him a PET!
    Good god.

Skunks, bats, foxes, raccoons, possums, etc., can carry the rabies virus and not have the disease. but they can pass it on via saliva. Besides, feeding raccoons not necessary--they do fine by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Just read the walking jacket website and in it they talk about pet carry bags, "including backpack and handbag types". Really truly? Anybody used one?
    I had one of these when I was flying around showing cats. Well, it's probably still in the closet, even though I haven't shown cats for at least a decade. Worked great, especially when I hadn't managed to make a *cough* "pet reservation" for a specific flight.

http://www.sherpapet.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by HuntrJumpr
    No matter what level of showing you're doing, you are required to have pants on.

I use to rehabilite racoons, when the mom was dead or a litter was found I was called. I raised them and released them. There was one that I got that was alone - I kept that one because you can't just release one racoon - the survival rate is really low. Bucky lived with us for 3 years - she had a cage outside and tree and a hollow area she slept. She was great. One day she did get out, not sure how and was hit by a car. She would come into the house and run around, play with the dogs and cats. She was pretty big, but she was so sweet, she would watch tv with the kids, swim in the inground pool. I have yet to see a litter with rabies etc.

Good luck with your little friend!

If you google your state health website, most states have a breakdown by county, that lists each type of wild animal trapped and tested for rabies. I know for example, that here in El Paso, I went back 11 yrs, and during that time they tested approx 400 skunks a yr for rabies, and have never had a positive result. Yet many people automatically think skunks are a huge risk around here. So maybe doing that, would let you know what the main rabies vectors are in your area.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    True confession: I think skunks are really super cute.
    There were 4 baby skunks that used to come eat with the cats. They would hear me call for the cats and come running. They actually would let me put a plate in front of them. I even stepped over one once, when I thought it was the black/white kitten.
    Once when one went in the tackroom, a barnmate came running out screaming for me. So I went in to get it out, and then was thinking "How the heck do you make a skunk leave without scaring it and getting sprayed?" When I yelled at him, he peeked out from behind the trunk, saw it was me and laid down. So I tapped the trunk in front of him with the longe whip, and he casually turned his rear end to me, like "Go Ahead...I dare you". So then I saw my fly spray in my grooming bucket. I sprayed it in a mist above him, so it floated onto him. Apparently he didn't like the smell of it, so he hopped on out of the tack room, as I kept spraying it behind him. There was something satisfying about using his own defense against him...

3 members found this post helpful.

My confessions for today:

I've taken naps in the corral with my 38 inch gelding...he sleeps flat on his side with his head on my legs, I lie across his back and side with my head on his hip. (I stay away from his hooves, just in case he gets up.)

I look up our property on Google Earth and zoom in to look at our horses (I confessed this sin on another thread).
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

My confession for today? We are keeping my parents dog for them while they deal with my sister and her constant problems... the little bugger is.driving.me.nuts. but I don't want to complain because my parents are dealing with enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

This doesn't really count, as it is not my confession, but I'm telling on my sister.

Since her Basenji/Shepherd is a food hog, my sister feeds her Maltese at the table. Joy has her own place mat and plate. When we visit, my Maltese (Joy's sister, Billie Holiday) is MORTIFIED at the breach in dog protocol.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

My husband I were on our porch when a raccoon came around the corner, saw us, and kept coming. I was sure it was rabid so my husband shot him. All we had was bird shot but still, it took three blasts to stop that animal. I took his body to the vet and has his head sent to the state capitol to be tested for rabies. It didn't have rabies. It never occurred to me perhaps the critter was a pet. That makes the event ever sadder. I think wild animals are better left in the wild.

I found a turtle with a fishhook stuck in his mouth once. I named him Timmy (like the character from South Park ) and paid the local exotics vet $100 to have the hook removed.

Timmy went back to the park where I'd found him the next day.

3 members found this post helpful.

I rescued a mini goat and he rode home in my Expedition. 3 months later, when a crazy boarder was leaving, I put him back into the Expedition and drive around until she had left the premises (friend came over, I'm BO). We drove through McDonalds. "M'am- is that a goat?" "Is what a goat?"... Awkward silence..BAAA " damn Jack Russel..."
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

5 members found this post helpful.

I feed coons. I have 7 that come every night for dinner. Most of them were born and raised under my deck. I don't hand feed them or touch them but I do enjoy them very much. I have two outdoor cats I feed and they growl, hiss and swat the coons and they do respect them.
    Most coons you see in the daytime are nursing mothers who are foraging while the kits sleep, they don't leave them at night.
    As for rabies I do look out for any outbreaks we may have and I always keep it in the back of my mind but i'm not really worried about it. I can't recall the last time I heard of a rabid coon.

I feel terrible about all of the recent shootings, especially the one in Newtown, CT as that is very close to where I'm from...

and I'm so grateful that I have a roommate and best friend who, during such a sad time (plus the fact that we are in the middle of finals right now), managed to make me laugh until I had tears rolling down my face tonight. I almost feel guilty about it, but I'm glad she did.

4 members found this post helpful.