The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Yeah, Cupcake on the couch with the cats, dogs, and a chicken? That's a winner right there.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Cupcake I liked the part where she held the chicken out to the wall.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

2 members found this post helpful.

That's teamwork.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Cupcake for the WIN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    I have no outdoor cats at this time. But I leave my garage cracked with a bowl of food and a wool horse blanket out on top of some boxes just incase somebody needs a warm place to sleep.
    And my Ex said no one else does the kind of stuff I do for animals!
    HAH, a lot he knows! Wonderful!!
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I have a new tame porcupine, named Arthur.

He comes into the garage and "helps" me put the feeds together in the evening, standing on his hind legs with his paw on my boot, and hums at me, then he follows me out to the barn, to get his dinner... (for which I found myself hunting through the grocery store for extortionately expensive spanish peanuts on the weekend. He eats mostly pelleted moose food, which is made largely of wood and bark, and a little bit of Strategy, as well as the peanuts...)
    Oh how cute! He sounds adorable!How did you come across him?

My little dog gets cold very easily (he starts shivering when it's 70), so when it's "cold" and he's @ the barn with me, he gets to lie on my $100+ sheepskin saddle pad. And then I will cover him up with a sheet or another saddle pad.

A few years ago when we had a cold snap (well, for Miami), all the lizards went into comas. I went out to the driveway and there was a huge lizard on my car, so I got some oven mits to pick him up. My mom came over and she made up a little box for him in the driveway, compete with a lamp over him to warm him up, with the extension cord running from the garage. :-)

I also took home a turtle that I found walking down the street (I do not live anywhere near water--??) and out him in my backyard. I made little steps for him so he could get out of the pool and the little tiny pond back there, and would throw him turtle pellets. Lol, yes, I am a total weird-o when it comes to animals. I have a lot more rescue stories, but they are of the boring dog/cat/horse variety.

Oh. And my horse now lies down and goes to sleep while I'm hand-grazing him most nights. He will alternate between the sternal position and flat-out with his legs jerking and body twitching. I'm always texting, "Yeah, I'm sitting here watching over the pony while he sleeps." I guess he knows I'm the boss mare and will protect him.

4 members found this post helpful.

So, I got home rather late tonight having attended an extremely acrimonious County Council buget meeting... Arthur was sitting in the driveway waiting for me, which made things in the world seem so much better. I left the garage door open while I zipped in to change to go out and feed the horses (I could hear crashing noises as I pulled my boots on.)

Silly beast had climbed up onto the feed bench out there (garage subs as feed and tack room) knocked everything off, and couldn't get down again... (porcupines are very adept at climbing up, totally fail at climbing down.) He was standing on his hind legs, looking rather sheepish, and reaching out with his long snd impressively clawed front legs for me to help him. In the end I found him a step stool so he had an intermediate step, and he fumbled his way down.

Really, I'm amazed these animals aren't extinct.

11 members found this post helpful.

A few weeks ago we had a momma cat show up with her four kittens. We started feeding them, and eventually a raccoon showed up as well. Momma kitty is now called Lucy and has been spayed and lives indoors (she was probably dumped by someone as she is definitely not feral).

The raccoon has been dubbed Rocky and feasts on his own bowl of cat food every night. Last week I was able to get him to take food directly out of my hand. It was quite an amazing moment as he has taken a while to warm up to us and not be so skittish.
    We were going to trap & relocate him but that plan has been abolished because we all like him so much! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    The raccoon has been dubbed Rocky and feasts on his own bowl of cat food every night.

Last week I was able to get him to take food directly out of my hand. It was quite an amazing moment as he has taken a while to warm up to us and not be so skittish.

We were going to trap & relocate him but that plan has been abolished because we all like him so much! lol.
    Sorry to be so depressing, but you do realize Rocky could be carrying Rabies? Have YOU had a Rabies shot, like many Vets do for safety? Raccoons get grabby and will fight YOU to get to that food they KNOW you have! Once you break the line of Racoon being wary to humans, they usually get rather destructive. When they want IN, go food hunting, they don't care about screens or doors, siding, as they work towards a goal. I had a raccoon totally trash my feed room, knocking over full metal garbage cans trying to get into the tied down, locked on, can with cat food inside. I was not the least bit friendly previous to this incident, didn't know a Coon had started eating the cat food! Sure rolled the cans around, knocked buckets all over. I don't have sweet feed, so grain was not tempting it. Feed is in an unused stall, so no damage to nice inside tack area walls like the tack room has.

You are doing him no favor in losing his wariness, teaching him people provide food. Any other people he approaches will probably shoot him. I would, presuming a raccoon acting this unnatural way WAS RABID. This is NOT DISNEY, he doesn't LIKE you, he wants the easy food. Sorry about being VERY discouraging, but raccoons are wild animals, often dangerous and you don't ever know WHEN they will turn on you.

8 members found this post helpful.

Any mammal can carry rabies, and raccoons will be destructive tame or not. I would keep at arms length, though.

Here, it is illegal to mess with wildlife, much less make pets out of them.
    For many very good reasons, including the safety of the wild animals, that eventually may become a problem, needing to be eliminated.

I think you need a porcupine blog. please

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
    I think you need a porcupine blog. please
    She could name it "Pen and quill", or "Points to ponder".

10 members found this post helpful.

I won't go on vacation unless I can either take the terrier mutt with me or he can go live with a family friend while I'm gone. I refuse to put him in a kennel because he came from a local shelter and would not eat while he was there.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I talk to my horse. Nothing unusual in that, as we probably all do that. However, I answer back in "his" voice. He has a slight speech impediment.

My late dog had a Northern England accent and a lisp because of some missing teeth. Think Sylvester the cat-type lisp.

Y'all may think I'm crazy but that's OK. I have entertaining conversations with him and I'm never lonely.

The fat fluffy barncat whom I call Bubba (Bubba-boo, Bubba-loo) is very vocal so he doesn't need me to speak for him. He's also very affectionate and is always under my or my horse's feet when I'm grooming. So now I lay down a towel next to my grooming tote for him to sit on. When he's there, he gets scratches when I need something from the box; if he's in my way, he gets ignored. He also knows that when I'm putting my things away, it's "his" time, when I take out his special brush and give him some attention. He's such a sweetie and would make a wonderful housecat but doesn't like being locked inside.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    She could name it "Pen and quill", or "Points to ponder".
    BADABOOM!!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Sorry to be so depressing, but you do realize Rocky could be carrying Rabies? Have YOU had a Rabies shot, like many Vets do for safety? Raccoons get grabby and will fight YOU to get to that food they KNOW you have! Once you break the line of Racoon being wary to humans, they usually get rather destructive. When they want IN, go food hunting, they don't care about screens or doors, siding, as they work towards a goal. I had a raccoon totally trash my feed room, knocking over full metal garbage cans trying to get into the tied down, locked on, can with cat food inside. I was not the least bit friendly previous to this incident, didn't know a Coon had started eating the cat food! Sure rolled the cans around, knocked buckets all over. I don't have sweet feed, so grain was not tempting it. Feed is in an unused stall, so no damage to nice inside tack area walls like the tack room has.

You are doing him no favor in losing his wariness, teaching him people provide food. Any other people he approaches will probably shoot him. I would, presuming a raccoon acting this unnatural way WAS RABID. This is NOT DISNEY, he doesn't LIKE you, he wants the easy food. Sorry about being VERY discouraging, but raccoons are wild animals, often dangerous and you don't ever know WHEN they will turn on you.
    Wow.
    I'm not dumb.
    I know raccoons carry rabies - ALL animals can carry rabies. He is very clearly not rabid or he would be foaming at the mouth, etc.
    This coon is still very timid. I know to be wary about him because yes, I DO KNOW that he could turn on me at any moment. But considering he is afraid to even fight the cats off for food, I doubt he will harm me as of yet.
    When did I ever say this was Disney and how did Disney even come into the conversation? LOL!
    So you will just assume any coon coming up to a back door to scour in a food dish is rabid? Cool. Unless he's foaming at the mouth and acting crazed, he's probably completely fine.

And FWIW, I did want to shoot him at first.

So much for true confession time - more like get jumped on.
    I didn't see you freak out on the person who feeds a wild porcupine.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily&Jake View Post
    When did I ever say this was Disney and how did Disney even come into the conversation? LOL!
    Probably the part where you started hand feeding it. BTW, rabies is not the only nasty. Coons with distemper can appear friendly when they are sick.

4 members found this post helpful.