The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Hubby doesn't know, he thinks I'm feeding the lab canned salmon, but it's actually the lovely spring salmons he caught while fishing! Stops madam lab from bile vomiting due to an empty stomach but the other side effect (snicker) is that she no longer wants dog food....."just the salmon thank you very much"
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My little dog will be seven years old in three weeks and today I saw her first grey hair on her black head.
    Does that mean she is not a puppy any more?
    My oldest dog is almost 13, covered in grey hair... and still acts like a pup.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Hedgehog story.

Can't help myself.

Grew up in the US (obviously), but family is all from Wyoming. Where they have porcupines and pulling quills out of dogs is a pastime.

When I was living in Italy, my then fiance had a bunch of guys over to watch a game. It was raining outside and they had the doors propped open on the main floor for a breeze. I went to bed...

the next morning, I saw poop on the kitchen floor. It didn't really LOOK like cat poop, but I sort of assumed that the stray cat who normally hovered around our place had gotten in.

As I hunted around the house looking for the cat, I lifted up my crocheting stuff in the living room and found...a porcupine! Or something. I mean, it was smaller than a porcupine I was used to but it definitely had spikes and it was sleeping.

My fiancé said this was a "mom job" so, sweating bullets and expecting quills to be thrown my way, I slipped on leather gloves and gingerly extracted the sleeping scary thing as if it were a bomb ready to blow and deposited him into a bucket.

We didn't have internet or anything at that time (2001) so i called some friends, told them what we had found and they came over.

Their little boys ran towards the bucket before I could scream, threw off the cover, and plunged their hands in.....

....it was a hedgehog.

I felt like an idiot.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

CHSatwork, I just bounced and squealed at work, thank you very much! I NEED a tiny little black piggy like that!! NEEEEED! Never seen one that small (clearly, I've never seen a young'n), they're both adorable!
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    If you search my posts for about this time last year, you may well go off the idea of being lenient towards deer in your immediate environment, big time...
    LOL! thanks for reminding me
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Atr, how does one make friends with a porcupine?
    Food... and some are more approachable than others. Normie had his own story. His mother brought him over as a baby to feast on horsie dinner leftovers. Eventually she sort of abandoned him over here--he had what was probably a broken leg (baby porcupines break limbs and ribs quite frequently, falling out of trees.) That healed up but he stuck around, still a little shy but happy to be offered food.

He started to look very strange at the beginning of that winter--he was going bald, poor little chap, and he was very scaley and itchy. After some research and discussion with a couple of people who were more expert than I, we decided he had mange. By this time he had taken up residence in my hay shed and wasn't feeling so good, so I laced his feed with Ivermectin (he loved anything sweet so apple slices were good for this,) and he'd sit next to me on a hay bale and eat. By now he'd decided I was his mom. To cut a long story short, he recovered really quite well, and grew his coat and quills back in, but he never got very big.

That next spring, he disappeared for a few months to do porcupine things, but one day I was standing by the kitchen window and he came strolling up the drive. I raced outside and called him, and he came bouncing over to me, hooting and squeaking and as pleased to see me as I was to see him.

He stuck around for the rest of the year, but when I got injured last winter and there were a lot of cars and strangers coming to the house and the barn, looking after us all, he packed his bags one January Saturday morning and set off down the driveway. My husband watched him go. He says Normie stopped and looked back at the house and then just trudged off into the distance, never to be seen again...

http://s13.beta.photobucket.com/user...nging.mp4.html

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Food... and some are more approachable than others. Normie had his own story. His mother brought him over as a baby to feast on horsie dinner leftovers. Eventually she sort of abandoned him over here--he had what was probably a broken leg (baby porcupines break limbs and ribs quite frequently, falling out of trees.) That healed up but he stuck around, still a little shy but happy to be offered food.

He started to look very strange at the beginning of that winter--he was going bald, poor little chap, and he was very scaley and itchy. After some research and discussion with a couple of people who were more expert than I, we decided he had mange. By this time he had taken up residence in my hay shed and wasn't feeling so good, so I laced his feed with Ivermectin (he loved anything sweet so apple slices were good for this,) and he'd sit next to me on a hay bale and eat. By now he'd decided I was his mom. To cut a long story short, he recovered really quite well, and grew his coat and quills back in, but he never got very big.

That next spring, he disappeared for a few months to do porcupine things, but one day I was standing by the kitchen window and he came strolling up the drive. I raced outside and called him, and he came bouncing over to me, hooting and squeaking and as pleased to see me as I was to see him.

He stuck around for the rest of the year, but when I got injured last winter and there were a lot of cars and strangers coming to the house and the barn, looking after us all, he packed his bags one January Saturday morning and set off down the driveway. My husband watched him go. He says Normie stopped and looked back at the house and then just trudged off into the distance, never to be seen again...

http://s13.beta.photobucket.com/user...nging.mp4.html
    Oh My Goodness. I'm sorry but that's even cuter than the wee piggies. Just a little bit. I want a singing pricker now!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry that Normie left. What a cutie.

That's so sad about little Normie. I can just picture him sadly trudging away from his home.

3 members found this post helpful.

Singing pricker. *snork*
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I had an awesome pet sitter back home--my old roommate. She was great. I never worried about the dogs or kids if they were with her. In the new place? I don't have that yet, but I will. I just need more than a handful of weeks to sort it out.
    I'm happy to help a COTHer by petsitting if I'm around. PM me. Or maybe LexVA can help? I shouldn't volunteer others but it's COTH...

We are newly neighbors. I'm in West Springfield spitting distance to Burke. Did we chat about Lake Accotink?

On topic and trying to stay horse related: when cold, horses' bits are warmed up. I thought everyone did that? Nope. Dogs have more blankets and more expensive bedding and coats than I dare spend on myself.

Another confession: I'm really sad hearing about Normie
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home Décor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

11 members found this post helpful.

Holy cow Bicoastal! You must be very near me! I too am in West Springfield, spitting distance to Burke. I will get ahold of you offline.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I know that this is totally random, but did you know that here in ON there is a community named Wawa?
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

My husband calls them prickers, and it grew on me.

Pricker story.... I've grown to not like them having been victim to their prickers on multiple occasions.

I was out hunting with my Dad and he saw one on the ground and told me that it was dead, but I should go check because pricker meat was good. I was, 12? So I creeped up on it and poked it with the toe of my boot.

It was not dead.

Not even close. Did you know if you poke a pricker, it'll not only shoot you, but also chase you? I ran screaming and crying all the way back to the house. Dad laughing along behind me. Luckily I had on heavy boots, and only got a few quills in the leg, but have since been traumatized.

I have another confession. I'm freezing, but the cat is curled up asleep in the throw, so here I sit, with chilly toes.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Porcupine sooo cute.

Around here I frequently hear "get me another cup of coffee, will you? I can't get up I have a cat on my lap". Perfectly valid excuse in our house.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    Luckily, I have an AWESOME pet sitter who will stay at my house while I'm gone. Pups are happy since they love her (I think more than they love me and hubby!). And I have peace of mind that they are comfortable in familiar surroundings and it does help that she brings in my mail and waters plants and such. It costs more than a kennel but you can't put a price on my sanity.
    Cousin Debbie, I didn't know you were on CoTH! They do love me just a little bit more
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

My horse's bridle does not live in the barn in cold weather. It lives in my nice warm house and when I go to ride, I leave it in the nice warm car until I'm ready to put it on. Bit is never cold for my boy.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    My horse's bridle does not live in the barn in cold weather. It lives in my nice warm house and when I go to ride, I leave it in the nice warm car until I'm ready to put it on. Bit is never cold for my boy.
    I totally need to do this. Yesterday was our first cold day in a while, and by the time I got to the barn, it was in the low 30s. I COMPLETELY spaced and just threw the bridle on poor maresy. Bad owner!

There....another confession.

I have 3 indoor cats and there are 3 more at the barn which is only about 1/4 mile away. This past spring, we had 5 kittens dropped off by someone unknown to us. They were all black and white, but one was almost all white body, with a skunk tail. He disappeared within a monthand the rest were gone not too long after that.

But, about 3 weeks ago my brother's fiance kept saying there was a skunk living under our shed. i finally saw it one day and it was the kitty that ran away from the barn! Now I have a large bowl of food out on the back steps (With warm canned food put on top every night) and an insulated box under the steps for him And i confess... my indoor cats don't like canned food so I buy it just for him!
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?