The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    CHSatwork, I just bounced and squealed at work, thank you very much! I NEED a tiny little black piggy like that!! NEEEEED! Never seen one that small (clearly, I've never seen a young'n), they're both adorable!
    For those thinking of cute piggies, remember that even the smallest of them do grow up to be ... whole big pigs with a mind of their own.

Pig rescues will tell you that the retention rate of pigs as pets is abysmal, for a very good reason. Few pigs, once mature, are "nice" pets.

Do study all you can about pigs before getting a cute little piglet.

5 members found this post helpful.

I have a confession too.

Porcupines can't shoot their quills. They can certainly get you with contact, and they can leave the quills embedded in you, but they don't shoot them. One of the first things I learned working at a small zoo.

Also, my former profile picture on Facebook was from the same zoo and I'm holding a juvenile gator, and I feel slightly bad ass when I look at it. More so than with my cute cuddly pictures with 4 week old Arctic fox kits and their mom. I love my zoo internship pictures!

1 members found this post helpful.

When DH brought back the equipment from a job site, I asked to borrow to wet/dry vac. Sure not a problem. Hauled it out to the barn and started to vacuum horses. I had the gelding in cross ties and he is in horsie heaven. Head down, drooping lip, leg cocked, eyes closed. Ahhh...

Annnd then that's when the "train left the tracks". Apparently DH had a whoa, what, wait a minute when he could hear the vac in the barn. He snuck up on me, touched me on the shoulder and screamed in my ear WTH are you doing!!! I also scream, drop the nozzle (and it starts sucking up shavings like there is no tomorrow) and horsie is no longer in the relaxed state of mind. Bad words ensue and DH storms off.

He was gone about 1/2 hour and came back with a new vac. He was upset because I was using "the dirty" wet vac on the horses and he thought they should have their very own vacuum that didn't have dirt and debris already in it!

We also had to buy a bigger bed after the 2nd stray cat showed up. When he stretches out, he's over 3 feet long.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I have a confession too.

Porcupines can't shoot their quills. They can certainly get you with contact, and they can leave the quills embedded in you, but they don't shoot them. One of the first things I learned working at a small zoo.

Also, my former profile picture on Facebook was from the same zoo and I'm holding a juvenile gator, and I feel slightly bad ass when I look at it. More so than with my cute cuddly pictures with 4 week old Arctic fox kits and their mom. I love my zoo internship pictures!
    That's super interesting! And also... PICTURES!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

No no, you don't understand. I am going to have a majickal never-growing piggy that stays cute and cuddly and tiiiiny

But seriously, thanks for the info. We will probably never own a pig (unless it lived in the barn!) but I will def do my research before it happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    For those thinking of cute piggies, remember that even the smallest of them do grow up to be ... whole big pigs with a mind of their own.

Pig rescues will tell you that the retention rate of pigs as pets is abysmal, for a very good reason. Few pigs, once mature, are "nice" pets.

Do study all you can about pigs before getting a cute little piglet.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I have a confession too.

True on the porcupine quills--it's the tail that is really dangerous. they can lash it like an angry gator when they get POd.By a pony's inquisitve nose for instance.

My confessions:

My horse has more expensive clothes than I do - and better shoes too!

I also taught my cat to walk on a leash. She wears a special harness called a cat walking jacket. http://www.catwalkingjacket.com/walk...secure-and-fun

They are made in Australia so I had it shipped halfway around the world for her!

P.S. I grew up in a house with 1 Siamese and 2 Burmese cats. Loudest animals EVER!

2 members found this post helpful.

Just read the walking jacket website and in it they talk about pet carry bags, "including backpack and handbag types". Really truly? Anybody used one?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Annnd then that's when the "train left the tracks". ... He snuck up on me, touched me on the shoulder and screamed in my ear WTH are you doing!!! I also scream, drop the nozzle (and it starts sucking up shavings like there is no tomorrow) and horsie is no longer in the relaxed state of mind. Bad words ensue and DH storms off.

He was gone about 1/2 hour and came back with a new vac. He was upset because I was using "the dirty" wet vac on the horses and he thought they should have their very own vacuum that didn't have dirt and debris already in it!
    Public thumbs up! I snarfed water and got odd looks from my cow orkers as I choked and laughed at the visual here. Thanks for this!
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I have another to add. I went grocery shopping tonight after the barn, and totally rocked my plaid full seats. People stopped, looked, and went to the next aisle to avoid running into me.
    Well, if we're going to add horse clothing faux pas.....

Rode the bay horse bareback in beige breeches, then went shopping.

I thought the "looks" were stranger/more appalled than usual, then I realized what bay hair looks like when it is pasted to the inner thighs & butt of beige breeches
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

10 members found this post helpful.

My confessions are as follows:

I got a cheesey gift last year at our office Holiday "re-gifting" party, and I promptly re-gifted it to my MIL that same year

There is a stray cat that has made his way into my hayloft/storage barn. I feed him, even though I know it will cut down on his hunger for the local mice population. My house is for sale, and when it sells, I will trap the kitty and bring him with us to the new place!

I have a hard time looking at the threads about placing OTTB's at this time of year, I so wish I could bring one more home.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

I let the Boyz into the backyard to graze because its easier than mowing and the grass doesn't go to waste. Plus I like seeing them out my living room window. The dogs consider the horse poop snacks.

When I bought a new bed, I bought a queen sized so the dog could sleep next to me. He likes to snuggle at night and he gets cold.
    OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane AKA Bubble boy
    Boxer - Tugger's - outlasted my marriage

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    Food... and some are more approachable than others. Normie had his own story. His mother brought him over as a baby to feast on horsie dinner leftovers. Eventually she sort of abandoned him over here--he had what was probably a broken leg (baby porcupines break limbs and ribs quite frequently, falling out of trees.) That healed up but he stuck around, still a little shy but happy to be offered food.

He started to look very strange at the beginning of that winter--he was going bald, poor little chap, and he was very scaley and itchy. After some research and discussion with a couple of people who were more expert than I, we decided he had mange. By this time he had taken up residence in my hay shed and wasn't feeling so good, so I laced his feed with Ivermectin (he loved anything sweet so apple slices were good for this,) and he'd sit next to me on a hay bale and eat. By now he'd decided I was his mom. To cut a long story short, he recovered really quite well, and grew his coat and quills back in, but he never got very big.

That next spring, he disappeared for a few months to do porcupine things, but one day I was standing by the kitchen window and he came strolling up the drive. I raced outside and called him, and he came bouncing over to me, hooting and squeaking and as pleased to see me as I was to see him.

He stuck around for the rest of the year, but when I got injured last winter and there were a lot of cars and strangers coming to the house and the barn, looking after us all, he packed his bags one January Saturday morning and set off down the driveway. My husband watched him go. He says Normie stopped and looked back at the house and then just trudged off into the distance, never to be seen again...

http://s13.beta.photobucket.com/user...nging.mp4.html
    Confession: I got a little teary eyed when I read about him.... especially the part about Normie walking down the driveway, looking back, and then walking off. How sad. Poor little fella.
    "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

5 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE=Bluey;6712728]For those thinking of cute piggies, remember that even the smallest of them do grow up to be ... whole big pigs with a mind of their own.

Do study all you can about pigs before getting a cute little piglet.[/QUOTE

Yes and there are NO such thing as micro-pigs. Yes they are advertised all over the place but they DO NOT exist. Some pot bellys can get up to 200lbs. My biggest is full grown at 50lbs. She is about as small as they come. They grow slow. They are not full grown until at least 3 years old. Not sure how big my new guy will be since he had a rough start. He may be small, he may not.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    That's super interesting! And also... PICTURES!
    My main squeeze at work was our juvenile gator, "Roger" I'm full of interesting facts about gators, haha!
    Mama Fox, "Daisy"
    My favorite of the fox kits
    But this one was pretty cute too
    And everyone falls in love with these little faces!!

True on the porcupine quills--it's the tail that is really dangerous. they can lash it like an angry gator when they get POd.By a pony's inquisitve nose for instance.
    True confession #3: I've been lashed with a (baby) gator tail and man, that sucker hurts!

I have a new tame porcupine, named Arthur.

He comes into the garage and "helps" me put the feeds together in the evening, standing on his hind legs with his paw on my boot, and hums at me, then he follows me out to the barn, to get his dinner... (for which I found myself hunting through the grocery store for extortionately expensive spanish peanuts on the weekend. He eats mostly pelleted moose food, which is made largely of wood and bark, and a little bit of Strategy, as well as the peanuts...)

Wait, what? A tame Porcupine? Pelleted Moose Food? HUH?

I'm not even sure what questions to ask at this point.......
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

3 members found this post helpful.

Confession: I am terrified of spiders. My SO (aka Spider Slayer) was not home and there was a HUGE spider on the wall. I tried to throw shoes, but missed it and broke a picture (I blamed it on the cats later ). Panic seems to produce brilliant thinking, so I quickly opened the back door and snatched up one of my docile chickens. I carried her in, held her at arms length up the wall... and she ate that huge spider in one bite! I never did tell SO.

Another time he caught me though, we had a new chicken that a friend had given us when she decided she didn't really want chickens... Emily was getting picked on by the other hens and I felt bad. I thought SO had left to go meet friends, but he forgot something and came home to find me, the cats, the dogs, and the chicken sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn watching Lifetime movies.

I also obsessively rescue opossums.

29 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTough View Post
    Confession: I am terrified of spiders. My SO (aka Spider Slayer) was not home and there was a HUGE spider on the wall. I tried to throw shoes, but missed it and broke a picture (I blamed it on the cats later ). Panic seems to produce brilliant thinking, so I quickly opened the back door and snatched up one of my docile chickens. I carried her in, held her at arms length up the wall... and she ate that huge spider in one bite! I never did tell SO.

Another time he caught me though, we had a new chicken that a friend had given us when she decided she didn't really want chickens... Emily was getting picked on by the other hens and I felt bad. I thought SO had left to go meet friends, but he forgot something and came home to find me, the cats, the dogs, and the chicken sitting on the couch with a bowl of popcorn watching Lifetime movies.

My spider story. DH was gone for a length of time and I DO NOT DO SPIDERS. Big ones, small ones, doesn't matter. I was washing the dishes and felt something on my leg. Thinking it was the cat, I reached down and felt "IT".

In all my great wisdom, I flicked the big black hairy thing, and it went plop by my heel. I then (because I couldn't KILL it, like a logical person) trapped it under a ziploc container. Since I was too chicken I didn't want to just do the cardboard underneath and fling trick, I duct tapped the container to the floor and called my Dad to come take care of the thing. It was three days before he was able to come out, and I washed my dishes outside under the garden hose because I was too afraid to go in the kitchen.

supershorty... SQUEEE!!!! I want your life. How cool for you to be able to have done that! Thanks for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CupcakeTough View Post

This. Is. Awesome.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!