The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

I can see Lynwood, hymnal at the ready, surrounded by scruffy strays, all singing:
    "Shall we gather at the Tu-na, the bee-yoo-tiful, the bee-yoo-ti-full Tu-Na!"

I have one "hired" barncat, but put out a box atop the stacked hay lined with a blankie for any stray that happens by.
    Noone should have to sleep cold if I can help it
    Regular has her own enclosed fleece house and is not inclined to share.

And if they stick around and make themselves known, they can partake of the canned food & kibbles too.
    Without vowing to change their lives for the better.

No sermons I do get occasionally in trouble when the neighbor's cat Tilly decides that its more fun to play fort in my garage then go home when hes called. They have full permission to enter the garage to retrieve their stowaway at any and all times.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I have a new tame porcupine, named Arthur.

He comes into the garage and "helps" me put the feeds together in the evening, standing on his hind legs with his paw on my boot, and hums at me, then he follows me out to the barn, to get his dinner... (for which I found myself hunting through the grocery store for extortionately expensive spanish peanuts on the weekend. He eats mostly pelleted moose food, which is made largely of wood and bark, and a little bit of Strategy, as well as the peanuts...)
    Um, forgive an ignorant southerner but do they actually make moose food? Is is Purina or Nutrena moose food? Or is it a local brand?

4 members found this post helpful.

I feed 8+ feral cats at work and since I have been having trouble with a racoon raiding the feeder that can hold 10 lbs. of cat food over a weekend, I will drive an hour round trip each day Saturday and Sunday (and holidays) so the kitties don't have to fend for themselves. I even had a group come and TNR so we don't end up with a huge colony. The people at work call me the crazy cat lady and I wear that title proudly
    RIP Sucha Smooth Whiskey
    May 17,2004 - March 29, 2010
    RIP San Lena Peppy
    May 3, 1991 - March 11, 2010

15 members found this post helpful.

Instead of cracking the garage door, I installed a kitty door! Which I think is way better for me as I actually had a break in via cracked garage door, and the furnace isn't trying to keep up!

For the ponies, who need a little treat when it get super cold and windy, I make them a beet pulp mash with only the minimum amount of water it takes to expand the pellets, then when it is ready I will ad some hot water to it, and it balances the hot and cold perfectly to make it warm

Sylvester the cat also has a nice warm, enclosed box outside with a heated bed mat, he loves it! Oh and because he prefers fresh cat nip, I grow a nice live plant for him throughout the winter.

I feed my exocrine pancreatic insufficient, mysteriously allergic girl corgi (and her brother with no issues) dried sardines as treats. They're way more expensive than treats from the farm store, but ... she's my delicate flower of a bossy dog. Plus, it's fun to call out, "Corgis! Who wants a leetle feesh?!"

Incidentally, the cats are thoroughly uninterested in the leetle feesh. They prefer (high-quality, grain-free, salmon and potato) dog kibble as treats.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post
    Luckily, I have an AWESOME pet sitter who will stay at my house while I'm gone. Pups are happy since they love her (I think more than they love me and hubby!). And I have peace of mind that they are comfortable in familiar surroundings and it does help that she brings in my mail and waters plants and such. It costs more than a kennel but you can't put a price on my sanity.
    If we had to do it again that's what I would likely go with it just isn't worth worrying about them and them being anxious about being left in an unfamiliar place. Thankfully, it doesn't happen often as either my parents or the inlaws don't mind having them come visit when need be.

I had an awesome pet sitter back home--my old roommate. She was great. I never worried about the dogs or kids if they were with her. In the new place? I don't have that yet, but I will. I just need more than a handful of weeks to sort it out.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Yes, indeed they do make moose food. Mazzuri is the brand--they make a lot of food for zoo animals. My local feed store keeps it in an attempt to stop my neighbors from feeding the moose on sweet feed. (Moose get laminitis if fed the wrong things.) It's ruinously expensive but a 50lb bag lasts a porcupine a looong time.

No, I do not feed the moose, or the elk, if I can possibly avoid it.

8 members found this post helpful.

We need Arthur pictures. Please.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

13 members found this post helpful.

I wanna see a pic of your Porc!
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

My confession? The barn dog slept in my bed last night.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

2 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

To save my grain-allergic Yellow Ugly Dog from ingesting the nasty grain spilled from the Mouse Mothership (also known as the golf bag taken over by every single mouse in my barn), I shop vacced the grass in our back yard. Our neighbor caught me doing it. I think he was aghasted.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

22 members found this post helpful.

OMG...I have 2 Siamese,, and we call them the Siamese Mafia too.... lol

1 members found this post helpful.

I have to add, grudgingly that I feed my deer. I compost everything I can. I have a bucket on the deck and when it gets full I tromp out to the garden and dump it. But, sometimes the deer will come on the deck and eat out of the bucket. That's not so bad, the worst is all the trees, shrubs, flowers and vegetables they mow down all year. Costing me a lot of $$$ and heartache, especially when I go out in the morning to see they have snipped all the flower buds off or munched down all my lettuce>. I can't hunt them since it is illeagle to discharge a firearm and I do not bow hunt. Oh well!

1 members found this post helpful.

Photos!

Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    I have a new tame porcupine, named Arthur.

He comes into the garage and "helps" me put the feeds together in the evening, standing on his hind legs with his paw on my boot, and hums at me, then he follows me out to the barn, to get his dinner... (for which I found myself hunting through the grocery store for extortionately expensive spanish peanuts on the weekend. He eats mostly pelleted moose food, which is made largely of wood and bark, and a little bit of Strategy, as well as the peanuts...)

2 members found this post helpful.

If you search my posts for about this time last year, you may well go off the idea of being lenient towards deer in your immediate environment, big time...

3 members found this post helpful.

Don't have any Arthur pictures on this computer, but here's a baby picture of Normie, who was my spiney buddy for 3 years, but sadly disappeared last spring.

Just to keep it HR, that's my mini, Pippin, in the background...

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...I/100_1301.jpg

17 members found this post helpful.

We keep a peanut ring full for the squirrels, two bird seed feeders for the wild birds, a woodpecker nut/suet cake, extra suet cakes for all the little birds in the winter, and the ducks and geese get peas every night at bed time. Next year we are going to put up a bat box.

6 members found this post helpful.

Ok, I will fess up, my horse Henry will eat almost anything so treats are an easy thing. But when he is an extra special good boy, I go to WaWa and buy him the prepackaged apples slices with caramel sauce and I hand dip and feed them to him slice by slice. Then he licks out whatever is left in the cup of caramel..Completely ridiculous I know, and I fully intend to keep on doing it.

21 members found this post helpful.

I need video of a humming porcupine named Arthur and video of the Siamese stampede when "SHRIMPEES!" is called.

19 members found this post helpful.