The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default True Confessions Time

After blanketing the horses for the big snow last night, I brought the rooster into the house. I put him in a dog kennel in the laundry room.

I felt a tad embarassed when I brought him out this morning & the neighbors saw me.

What do you have to confess?

21 members found this post helpful.

Our dogs have a nicer, warmer place to sleep (outside) at night than we do. And we live in Florida

I have no outdoor cats at this time. But I leave my garage cracked with a bowl of food and a wool horse blanket out on top of some boxes just incase somebody needs a warm place to sleep.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

82 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynnwood View Post
    I have no outdoor cats at this time. But I leave my garage cracked with a bowl of food and a wool horse blanket out on top of some boxes just incase somebody needs a warm place to sleep.
    This totally just made my day!

10 members found this post helpful.

Oberon13 - This totally just made my day!

Yep, made my day too. This is the sort of thing that makes my heart melt and my throat tighten.
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

3 members found this post helpful.

How amazing of a person are you?! I wish I could double like this... or give you a hug... either or.

My dog has a nicer barn coat than I do, and I wash it more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

6 members found this post helpful.

My pig sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed. She has her own bed and her own blankets. This happens to also be the side of the bed that the bathroom and the door are on. But instead of disturbing my pig, I'll either get out by the foot of my bed or crawl over my SO because he's far less grumpy than the pig is when disturbed! LOL

Also, my barn cats are now house cats with barn privileges!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

20 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Punkie View Post
    My pig sleeps on the floor on my side of the bed. She has her own bed and her own blankets. This happens to also be the side of the bed that the bathroom and the door are on. But instead of disturbing my pig, I'll either get out by the foot of my bed or crawl over my SO because he's far less grumpy than the pig is when disturbed! LOL

Also, my barn cats are now house cats with barn privileges!
    I have been trying to talk DH into getting a pig over a second dog for YEARS now. I am jealous!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Default Make no mistake...

This house belongs to the 7 members of the Siamese Mafia. We are just in house staff, downstairs maid, cook, litter cleaning staff, inhouse vets, provider of exotic food & the bestest toys and breakerupers of in house cat fighting. And keeper of the woodstove flame ( we M*U*S*T have a cranked up woodstove to please them all) and master maker of cat tents on most of the furniture. I Might get a sliver of couch-if I make a knee tent for someone...

Bestest new toy...buggy whip. Those cheezy flannel cat whips you get at the pet store...last about a day between the 7 of them.
    This buggy whip is on its 4th week- and they cannot kill it

I find it dragged into the most interesting places...

oh..and mr macmtn buys many MANY 10 pound bags of fresh headless shrimp and freezes them...for his cats. Shrimping season will be really short this year due to overfishing...so you can blame him.

listen closely...and you will hear the rally cry of "SHRIMPEES!!!!"
    Followed by the thunder of 28 paws on the hardwood floors...
    one can easily get run over if you don't get out of their way
    Last edited by macmtn; Dec. 10, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

34 members found this post helpful.

Do you make them hear a sermon at your homeless cat shelter, as the Salvation Army used to do?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

8 members found this post helpful.

I fell on my bum this morning turning the horses out... and had to use Rue's leg to get back up.

I no longer use a hot water bottle in bed. I just take the dogs instead.

I hung a turnip up in Fen's box on Sat... and keep walking into it.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by macmtn View Post
    Bestest new toy...buggy whip. Those cheezy flannel cat whips you get at the pet store...last about a day between the 7 of them.
    This buggy whip is on its 4th week- and they cannot kill it

I find it dragged into the most interesting places...
    I wonder if this is falling into the TMI area! Flannel whips, who would have thought?? Ha Ha

We only have the evil Alinore in the house. When she gets cold, she curls up with the dog who is very warm. Unfortunately for her, she violently attacks moving body parts under the covers, so she is not allowed in the bedroom to let us get a decent nights sleep. She was an orphan kitten, almost adult size, but has terrible cat manners we are trying to improve. She would be a wonderful barn kitty, great hunter, but she is totally fearless and would be quickly killed by a car on the road when she didn't move out of the way. She does have first dibs on the pillows on the couch, looks VERY ornamental curled up on them. I did put a chair by the French doors for her to sit above the screen door guard, so she can watch the birds at the feeders. Kitty TV, same birdy channel all the time, which gets her quite excited.

2 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Do you make them hear a sermon at your homeless cat shelter, as the Salvation Army used to do?

I can see Lynwood, hymnal at the ready, surrounded by scruffy strays, all singing:
    "Shall we gather at the Tu-na, the bee-yoo-tiful, the bee-yoo-ti-full Tu-Na!"

I have one "hired" barncat, but put out a box atop the stacked hay lined with a blankie for any stray that happens by.
    Noone should have to sleep cold if I can help it
    Regular has her own enclosed fleece house and is not inclined to share.

And if they stick around and make themselves known, they can partake of the canned food & kibbles too.
    Without vowing to change their lives for the better.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

10 members found this post helpful.

Mine? I'm not going home w/ hubby for Xmas because we have to stay at his parents' and they will not allow dogs in the house. And my dogs are house dogs and my old man isn't well. So I'm not going to drive 26 hours round trip to attend 2 dinners and worry about my dog stuck out in a pole barn when he's normally snuggled up with me at night. This does mean that I'm probably nuts because I'm risking marital bliss (Ha!) and his family thinks I'm nuts. But I just can't do it. So that's my confession.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

45 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I have been trying to talk DH into getting a pig over a second dog for YEARS now. I am jealous!
    My BO has a micro mini pig or teacup pig or whatever she's called. The little piggy destroyed her bathroom by ripping up all the floor tiles one by one and stacking them in the corner. BO is not so happy and Piggy is about to be banished to the barn...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Mine? I'm not going home w/ hubby for Xmas because we have to stay at his parents' and they will not allow dogs in the house. And my dogs are house dogs and my old man isn't well. So I'm not going to drive 26 hours round trip to attend 2 dinners and worry about my dog stuck out in a pole barn when he's normally snuggled up with me at night. This does mean that I'm probably nuts because I'm risking marital bliss (Ha!) and his family thinks I'm nuts. But I just can't do it. So that's my confession.
    That's ok we boarded our three for the very first time over thanksgiving and I won't ever do it again. Poor things were exhausted for days I felt horrible! If it means I have to miss an event from here on out so be it.

5 members found this post helpful.

Mine: I absolutely covet the mini donk at the barn, the one that's a hermaphodite! S/he is sooo cute and wuvvable!! I really might steal him and go to prison for it... It might be worth it.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have brought both chickens and a goat into the house.

First chicken broke her leg and needed hospital stay. Second chicken was a broody hen with two chicks, so she couldn't stay with the flock. And the goat got bloat from eating too much grain that was not put away (like asked) and it was below zero outside.
    I LOVE my Chickens!

I have a new tame porcupine, named Arthur.

He comes into the garage and "helps" me put the feeds together in the evening, standing on his hind legs with his paw on my boot, and hums at me, then he follows me out to the barn, to get his dinner... (for which I found myself hunting through the grocery store for extortionately expensive spanish peanuts on the weekend. He eats mostly pelleted moose food, which is made largely of wood and bark, and a little bit of Strategy, as well as the peanuts...)

51 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwalker024 View Post
    That's ok we boarded our three for the very first time over thanksgiving and I won't ever do it again. Poor things were exhausted for days I felt horrible! If it means I have to miss an event from here on out so be it.
    Luckily, I have an AWESOME pet sitter who will stay at my house while I'm gone. Pups are happy since they love her (I think more than they love me and hubby!). And I have peace of mind that they are comfortable in familiar surroundings and it does help that she brings in my mail and waters plants and such. It costs more than a kennel but you can't put a price on my sanity.