The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jump fillers/combos for cheap?

I need a bunch of ideas for cheap fillers and different jumps I can make (if anyone knows where or how to make a good roll top for under 300, that would be great), but I don't have room in our rings for big standards.
    Basically this weekend at a show I had an absolute complete mental break down because I could not for the life of me find any sort of distance to a 2'3" roll top because there were flowers out in front of it that were basically 2'6" tall (as in taller than the roll top) and then it was an oxer that was probably 2'6" wide at least. And this was in a 2'6"-2'9" class. I don't know what happened, I just couldn't find a distance at all.

Generally consensus was that I need to jump jump jump roll tops and scary filler until I'm bored with them.

I like the Dover plank ends for super easy plank fences. A pallet can be sawed in half, given feet for stabilization, and then stuffed with brush. Could you get hold of a barrel and cover with indoor/outdoor carpeting for a half-round? I once saw a roll top made of a cheap table top from a craft store that was cut into quarters for the ends, and then filled in with 1x2 to complete. Flower boxes are easy enough, don't forget to attach a handle to make relocating them easy.

Gates are easy enough if you sandwich lattice between 2x4. You can also make a mock wall by attaching plywood to a 2x4.

After christmas, collect some discarded xmas trees for easy filler. If you can find the faux trees, they'll last a lot longer.

Hope that helps!

1 members found this post helpful.

I pick up some outdoor green carpet at wal-mart in the spring and throw it over a couple of barrels for an impromptu rolltop.

Your post-Christmas, Christmas tree (sans the ornaments perhaps) would make a great filler.

1 members found this post helpful.

Jewish, so I won't be having any leftover christmas tree, but I'll see if I can steal some from any of my Christmas tree loving friends. I bet the neighbors would let me have the fronds off of theirs, the monster tree I saw them pulling in their front door during thanksgiving was HUGE.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Jewish, so I won't be having any leftover christmas tree, but I'll see if I can steal some from any of my Christmas tree loving friends. I bet the neighbors would let me have the fronds off of theirs, the monster tree I saw them pulling in their front door during thanksgiving was HUGE.

Haha, isn't this the perfect reason to get a "Hanukkah Bush"...I just read about those in the NYtimes.

Head over to Michaels, AC Moore or most the hardware stores and get some on sale fake holiday greenery. Where do you live. We had a show at our barn and I was all keen on semi XC jumps SOOO we headed to the woods to look for some felled trees/limbs that we could just as flower boxes. All we did was collect a few good sized limbs and drill some holes in them - poof instant flower box/jump. Cost = $0 but time & labor.