The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Absentee Horseownership - what am I missing?

I'm moving to Cleveland. Ohio at the end of December. My riding horse, Runner, will be moving with me, but my retired pony, Star will be remaining in North Carolina. Star has Cushings and Chronic Laminitis, she's in her mid teens with some lameness issues and heaves. At the boarding barn she's at they have a 2 acre dry lot, a hay net on the roundbale, and two horses for companions that live in the dry lot. She lives like a horse - something she's never gotten to do much of because she's either been in tiny dry lots or muzzled.

So, I feel like it's best that she stay here. If Cleveland is a permanent life long move and we buy property up there, then I'll move her. But, right now I expect to be there a few years.

I trust my barn owner. She cared for my horses when I was 2 hours away.

I'm also giving two other friends and fellow boarders permission to make decisions for my horse in my barn owners absence. Card is on file at the vet. I'm leaving a long letter of instructions for what ifs for Star.

What else do I need to think about being an absentee owner?

Is there someone you can pay to groom her once in awhile, check in, take pics, etc?

It was absolutely invaluable to me when I was half way across the world to have someone I trusted (besides the BO) checking in on my horses. I felt like it kept everyone more honest and my horses got attention, checked over well, etc.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Keep in good contact with those friends/other boarders. Ask them to text/email you pics periodically. It isn't that you don't trust the BO, it's just so that you stay in touch with how your old girl is looking. Sometimes old horses look the same for a long period of time and then suddenly something changes and they start aging faster. Don't feel guilty sending periodic emails/texts to your BO asking how she's doing. I have a few absentee owners and sometimes it is hard for me to guess how much information people want or how often they want updates. It's helpful to me when people set the tone for what they want.

You are so right to hand over some decision making to the people who are actually with your horse given that you have a good, trusting relationship with them. But remember, making final decisions about horses can be hard and even harder when it isn't your horse. If the time comes during this period, remember that your BO and friends are probably going to need some reassurance from you about your wishes. No one wants to make that kind of decision and have it second guessed later.

You sound like an ideal owner and it sounds like your horse is in an ideal situation. Best of luck to you with your move.

Make sure that in multiple copies the parameters of those decisions is out lined. Can they make health choices / life/death choices / ...can they decide the pony should be sold off etc. Clearly define monetary limits of if there are none and choices can be made accordingly.

Just important to define what they have the right to decisions on.
    "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

If you do decide to ship her, you might want to consider http://www.softrideboots.com/ to keep her more comfortable and even with bad spells.

If you could get somebody to check in on her and give her a little special attention I think that could be good for both you you ;-) It sounds like you have a great boarding situation which is AWESOME and sometimes so hard to find.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

We did this for an absentee owner for close to 5 years. We had permission to groom, love and ride the horse. BO got permission from owner's dad who paid board/vet/farrier. She had permission to make the more important decisions.
    We loved the horse and treated him as our own (bought blankets, treats, got chiro for him, etc.)
    Owner came back and moved horse back closer to her (she is pregnant and the hour + travel would become too much for her). She was SO appreciative of all the love he got and my daughter is able to visit him (which she has) as often as she wants.
    It worked out for us, for the horse and for the owner. We miss him though. He was a barn favourite, but he is doing well and so far, the owner has really been re-bonding with him.

Thanks guys.

My barn owner is a good friend, so I'm not worried about the care my girl will receive with her.

I want to make sure someone here can make decisions for her in a crisis. A chronic illness I would hopefully have time to come down, talk to the vet, and make those decisions myself. It's the catastrophic broken leg or sudden catastrophic colic that I want to make sure someone is authorized and comfortable making that decision.

My parents are still in the area, we still own a house down here, and I'll be coming down a few times a year. My riding horse may stay down here until spring or I may move him now, I haven't decided.

I'll probably pay the BO to groom my girl a few times a month, thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    We did this for an absentee owner for close to 5 years. We had permission to groom, love and ride the horse. BO got permission from owner's dad who paid board/vet/farrier. She had permission to make the more important decisions.
    We loved the horse and treated him as our own (bought blankets, treats, got chiro for him, etc.)
    Owner came back and moved horse back closer to her (she is pregnant and the hour + travel would become too much for her). She was SO appreciative of all the love he got and my daughter is able to visit him (which she has) as often as she wants.
    It worked out for us, for the horse and for the owner. We miss him though. He was a barn favourite, but he is doing well and so far, the owner has really been re-bonding with him.
    My girl really isn't rideable, so it's more of a retirement situation. She's okay w/t, but beyond that I don't think she's okay.

Star is my heart horse and a really special pony. The situation she currently has is the best situation she's ever had, including when I had her at home. She is happy, well cared for, and I don't have to worry about her slipping her muzzle and eating grass or being lonely. It's a win-win for everyone (except the poor human soul who puts up with the pony antics!).

I just want to make sure that all my bases are covered with her care. My BO is the best ever, I have great friends, and I want to make sure if someone has to make a decision that there is someone there with the authority to make those decisions and I want it in writing that I am still financially responsible for her care.

What, fat pone-pone? She looks and acts like a 6 year old, LOL! I rode Dusty yesterday and she was ALL upset and in a tither about that! Trotting around, wringing her head, bucking, squealing... I was asking her what was up little mad pone-pone!

Then she was mad at Dusty after I was done, ran at him ears pinned. Of course since he's blind he didn't react and THAT just makes her madder, LOL! She just doesn't get why he pays her no mind!

She'll be fine, and you know I will make sure she is well, and if she gets in bad shape, she will be made comfortable and I will reach out to you.

Luckily so far in the many years she's been here she hasn't had any episodes, and hopefully will continue...
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

2 members found this post helpful.

The only thing I can think of in addition would be an arrangement with the farrier, and possibly an account at the tack store if she needed first aid supplies, fly spray, or a rain sheet, etc

Sounds like a pretty good situation for a retired pony! I agree with the grooming. Since you'll be in the area a few times a year, that will help you feel better about keeping on top of her situation. Will you have a trunk or something where you can leave supplies (fly spray, etc)? I would ask the vet to do a physical once a year (including dental) and to report back to you. She'll be fine and you clearly have some people who will look after her. Your own worry will probably be a bigger deal...
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I did this for a friend's horse for a while. What made it work for me was having a crew of girls who loved to be responsible for his grooming, brushing out his mane and tail, picking his feet. I laid it on pretty strong that nobody but us was going to notice a problem so they had to be extra observant. I still went by his stall every day and checked on him myself, but the girls did most of the actual work. I put him on the same schedule as my retired horse for farrier and worming and shots and blankets, so that made the record keeping easier. We took pictures every couple months (we gave him a birthday party, etc) and sent them to his owner. We also made sure his stall was in the right location so the neighboring boarders could look in on him - which turned out to be the most important thing in the end, because it was the boarder next to his stall who noticed his colic and walked him until the vet arrived.

Maybe this is silly in your situation but consider sending little treats to your horse and his friends from time to time - a couple bags of peppermints for the horse and some chocolate for the humans might be a nice touch...

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. I currently live in California, and my horse stayed in Indiana. I have a "lease" situation going on for him. I board him where he has lived for the last 1.5 years (wonderful boarding situation), and I have some former riding buddies who don't own their own horses go out there and ride him and groom and love on him. They get a horse to ride, and I get peace of mind knowing all his needs are being met. It's going on 4 months now and so far no problems! (knock on wood)