The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Whats wrong Mare? **UPDATE** Post#12

My mare was out on trial for a month and came back because she was bucking, which she has NEVER EVER bucked the whole 4 years I have owned her. We put her on the lunge yesterday and she was sound, then we got on her... at the trot she was kicking out and trotting on her tip-toes behind and had her pelvis almost cramped upward. Then we went to canter... bucked the whole way around the field! This is a mare that when fresh tucks her butt, head goes up, and she will scoot for 3-4 strides and its over NEVER bucks. So now on to what could be wrong!

I emailed the girl that had her to get all the possible information... She went up right before hurricane sandy and had 5 days off during the hurricane... after the hurricane and her 5 days off she was the best she had been the whole time she was there. Then at about day 3 she started kicking out and a few days after she started bucking, they tried adjusting saddle, putting different people on her, lunging her, nothing worked and lunging and riding seemed to make it worse. One interesting piece of info was that they took her off her regumate and put her on depo... Could it be ovary pain?? Are you supposed to let them cycle before switching?
    We also suspected stifles but it doesnt seem to add up with it getting worse while being ridden and her being the best after days off?
    Vet comes this week and hopefully we will get some answers.
    Anyone have any input or suggestions on what it could be??
    Last edited by hunterrider33; Dec. 13, 2012 at 12:03 PM.
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

Sounds similar to what my never bucks Arab started doing. Best I can figure, he did something dumb in the pasture and was out all over the place. SI, neck and withers. We were foxhunting and he was crossfiring randomly, bucking and kicking out behind him (he doesn't kick at other horses...and he was doing it even with no one behind us). He saw the chiro and is moving freely and normally again.

If they were cooped up for the storms and a couple days after while things dried out, I wonder if she didn't do something silly in the field when they got back outside. I'd try chiro and see what you get. Around here at least it's pretty inexpensive.

My first guess would be that they were riding her in an ill-fitting saddle and/or that she was not being ridden competently.

I have the same issue going on, and although we haven't completely figured it out yet, it got to the point where she coudln't be ridden because people were getting hurt. We're finally back to trotting, and hopefully cantering too. We had the vet come out, and she was sound, they did flex test and she was perfectly fine. She was sound on the lunge line, and appeared to have no pain. We put her on depo because the vet hinted that she may be in season, and this happened once before ( She was in season. ) We're hoping that it was just ovary pains that were causing her to act up, but I'll let you know if things start getting better for us!

Share what your vet finds!!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

I don't know how it works with horses, but I was thinking ovarian cysts reading your description. So I'm not suggesting ovarian cysts, how would I know and I don't know about something like that, but could it possibly be something to do with her reproductive system? Tumor, pain, in there?
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Wait wait wait...

Horse was out on TRIAL and they switched her MEDS? Where's the fruitbat?

Sounds like she is tight and/or out. Some body work would be a good place to start, and after that get the vet out.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

2 members found this post helpful.

Vet out, good. Chiro out, try it. Massage therapist, possibly also. Did they have your permission to switch her meds on trial? It could be ovarian pain. I know when I have cyst, that I get often, they are painful and I couldn't imagine someone on my back. Is she sore in her back? Maybe saddle fit issues caused pain also. And an Ill fitting saddle plus a bouncy rider can make a horse very very sore.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    Wait wait wait...

Horse was out on TRIAL and they switched her MEDS? Where's the fruitbat?

Sounds like she is tight and/or out. Some body work would be a good place to start, and after that get the vet out.
    Yeah... Trust me I'm not too happy about it, also the problem started at day 3 of being ridden and they kept her the full month and we didn't hear about this problem until they were ready to send her back... But that's beyond the point.

Having chiro out this week as well
    He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable, He knows when you're confident, And he ALWAYS knows when you have carrots

It happened day three and they did not have a vet or anyone look at the mare? Geez. I guess it is a good thing they sent her back.

Did you put her back on regumate?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'd start with chiro then move on to the vet. It sounds like whatever they did they just made her hurt. Dumb people, poor horse.

So vet came out today, did lameness exam... all looked well... Then we got to the neck and back and the mare was VERY sore in her back and couldnt turn her head left... Next step x-rays

Heres where the bad news begins... The mare has kissing spine so bad that her vertebrae are overlapping! This is mare that has been showing successfully in the adult hunters with me and never showed any signs of an issue (HUGE HEART!). She had an accident in the pasture before she left on trial and had lump on her withers, and I am guessing what ever she did set this off and is causing her extreme pain. NOW the question is where do I go from here??? Talking with the vet later again today to talk about options. Her career is over and she wont be able to be ridden without pain, and she cant be bred since this is genetic and her holding a baby would put WAY too much stress on her back. Ugh! I just had to retire my other horse last week and this is NOT what I needed :-( Any input will help!

Oh no! I can't even imagine what you're going through! I'm assuming you're going to keep her of course..
    Do you have an other horses you could use as mounts while you still show? :/ Hope everything works out in your favor!
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

There is a new surgical procedure that is having very good success. It is described in an article on The Horse: http://www.thehorse.com/articles/296...ines-evaluated
    If you don't have a membership at The Horse, the membership sign up is quick, easy and, best of all, free.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Unfortunately her case is very severe, the most severe our vet has ever seen, which is so hard for me to believe considering she was, what I thought to be, OK just over a month ago. She said in her case surgery would be very tough and the prognosis is unknown as her 4 vertebrae are completely overlapping. She said we can turn her out and maybe light trail ride with LOTS of padding in a few months. Even to keep her comfortable turned out she will need injections, acupuncture, and daily anti-inflammatories. This is A LOT for me to take in right now and I really just want her happy her comfortable.

I think this is far more common (kissing spine) than people think. Too often, a horse misbehaving is chalked up to them being "bad" when there is really an underlying medical issue.
    So while I have no words of wisdom for you, I just wanted to say kudos in getting to the root of the issue. Hope you find a solution for your young mare.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Default Recommend a second opinion

If you don't want to just turn the mare out, I strongly recommend a second opinion. I know a gelding who has been successfully rehabbed from kissing spine and he had 5 vertebrae involved. Also, there is a thread on this forum about the new surgical procedure.

PKN

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BEARCAT View Post
    I think this is far more common (kissing spine) than people think. Too often, a horse misbehaving is chalked up to them being "bad" when there is really an underlying medical issue.
    So while I have no words of wisdom for you, I just wanted to say kudos in getting to the root of the issue. Hope you find a solution for your young mare.
    Thank you! It definitely explains a lot! She would have days of being "cranky" and days where her back would cramp up, she was also very hard to teach lead changes too and it took us a while for her to learn to pick up the left lead as well. All of these are due to this problem, however she has a heart of gold for jumping around and being as good as she was! The vet couldnt believe she had been jumping, or even being ridden without severe problems (until recently). Poor mare!

1 members found this post helpful.