The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It is not forbidden to microchip a horse, but it in no requirement upon export as you stated.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Foals 2014: Black filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    Black colt Likoto xx - Florencio - Prince Thatch xx

Default Check with German Hanoverian office

I would check with the German office on this horse. This thread is confusing to me with lots of contradictions. Sounds like the branding process is in flux.

Alexandra has it right.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnydays View Post
    Alexandra has it right.
    I hope so ;-)

1 members found this post helpful.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I wonder if your horses came in through Canada. I recently went through this myself and although the microchip was not required for export, it was required for import into Canada.

That must be a very recent requirement, as none of the German horses I have imported required a microchip.

I know a lot has changed over the years. Although I'm not sure when this rule was introduced, I know it was in effect as of the summer/fall of this year when my broker informed me to make sure my horse was done before importation.

Alexandra is right. I have a German wb. I have his passport/pink papers. Under his brand, the # 36 identifies the # that his mutter (as they say on his papers) was covered at that breeding station that year. Well part of the # as the 36 was part of the 436. His mutter was the 436th mare bred at station 30 that year. You have to have the pink papers/passport to truly ID a WB. And he has a P for Premium in his brand.

I did contact my horse's registry when I was trying to locate his breeder. The German registry was very helpful and very nice. My horse's sire had left the stud and was standing in Dansk, so I found him up there. I didn't find his mutter or his breeder in Linden.

first 2 #s of life # are the registry #s, like say, Hannoverian.
    second set of #s identify the breeding station where mare was covered.
    third set of #s signify the # that the mare was when she was covered at that station, e.g., 436, means she was the 436th mare covered that year at that station. Last set of number was the year covered, last 2 digits of that year.

So 08, unless things have radically changed in Germany, does not mean the year. It should mean that the mare was # 08 or 108 or 208 or 308, etc., of the mares covered that year at that breeding station.

All the european stud books have this information.

I know there were rumors several years ago that microchipping was going to be mandatory, but I don't know if it has happened yet. But if the horse was microchipped in Germany, then simply have the chip scanned and contact the registry or the microchipping company in Germany. All the Germans I've dealt with have all gone out of their way to help me with finding my horse's relatives over there.

Since I had my horse chipped down in Florida, his chip has my name and address and phone # as a reference. If horses microchipping in Germany have either registry or owner information, then whichever can be contacted to find out about the horse. I always recommend that everyone get her hands on the pink papers/passport, as that is what identifies a horse in the registries in Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    Alexandra is right. I have a German wb. I have his passport/pink papers. Under his brand, the # 36 identifies the # that his mutter (as they say on his papers) was covered at that breeding station that year. Well part of the # as the 36 was part of the 436. His mutter was the 436th mare bred at station 30 that year. You have to have the pink papers/passport to truly ID a WB. And he has a P for Premium in his brand.
    The part with the P in the brand is something new to me. Which registry is doing that ?

I did contact my horse's registry when I was trying to locate his breeder. The German registry was very helpful and very nice. My horse's sire had left the stud and was standing in Dansk, so I found him up there. I didn't find his mutter or his breeder in Linden.
    Did the registry not have anything on the dam/Mutter ? I could try to look her and or breeder up in the database I have access to.

I know there were rumors several years ago that microchipping was going to be mandatory, but I don't know if it has happened yet. But if the horse was microchipped in Germany, then simply have the chip scanned and contact the registry or the microchipping company in Germany. All the Germans I've dealt with have all gone out of their way to help me with finding my horse's relatives over there.
    The european law requires something to identify the animal exactly. The countries were putting that european law into "local" law. Germany wanted to be very good (sigh). brand, numbers plus markings would have been sufficient. But "we" started to introduce mandantory chipping for foals in 2011.
    During the same time there were tendancies to forbid branding. This resulted in a new draft of a law to not allow branding anymore. As said above a wave of protest started. Just two days ago a changed law passed the relevant institutions and branding is still allowed. What I do not know is whether branding is "just" allowed or whether branding also replaces the chipping of foals.

In regards of reading the German chips, that has proven to be sometimes a problem as the german chips sometimes could not be read by readers in the USA...

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    In regards of reading the German chips, that has proven to be sometimes a problem as the german chips sometimes could not be read by readers in the USA...
    I think this was a problem in Canada too because now the importation rules state that the "importer is responsible for providing the CFIA with a reader capable of reading the microchip, unless the microchip is an ISO chip."

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    The european law requires something to identify the animal exactly. The countries were putting that european law into "local" law. Germany wanted to be very good (sigh). brand, numbers plus markings would have been sufficient. But "we" started to introduce mandantory chipping for foals in 2011.
    During the same time there were tendancies to forbid branding. This resulted in a new draft of a law to not allow branding anymore. As said above a wave of protest started. Just two days ago a changed law passed the relevant institutions and branding is still allowed. What I do not know is whether branding is "just" allowed or whether branding also replaces the chipping of foals.
    I was told the new law regarding "no branding" was supposed to go into effect with this year's foal crop, but, as Alexandra said, there was quite a protest about it from the German breeders and some registries. So the situation was reevaluated and the law amended, so branding will continue in Germany as a means to help ID horses.

Default Alexandra

Your PM box is full, Alexandra.

Thanks for the offer. He is Hessen, and it's been a dozen years since I tried to find his mutter. His sire left the registry after a few years and had a website in Dansk, but I assume that he is now deceased as the website disappeared a few years ago. The guys in the Hessen stud were really great trying to help me find everyone.

In 2010 the Hessen stud merged with the Hannoverian stud, as you know.

His paternal grandsire was Samber. his maternal great grandsire was the "french anglo-arabian tb" cum Oldenburg Inschallah when the burgermeister of Oldenburg bought Inschallah.

He has the P on his brand, with the 36 and his pink papers match up with the brand and are marked premium at his keuring.

I had tried to find the breeder in Linden but the stud back then did not still have him listed.

Thank you for the offer. My horse is "supposed" to be a gelding, but he's been jumping rail fences and hot wires to get to mares every since I bought him. Finally he has settled down with one mare, a little domestic ATA by Impressionist. Now on my boarding bill as well.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread. But if everyone will buy a few of the european books on warmblood breeding, she/he can find out a lot about brands and registries. It's not at all like the American system.

ETA Oh and the name of the horse is often changed when the American importer brings him over. So the name that the horse was registered with in Germany may not match up with the name of the horse one buys. But the marking, and the # on the brand will match up with the pink papers/passport.

And boy, you can tell a German horse by his attitude.