The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question German import with H 02brand/ papers say born in 08??

Have a new boarder at the barn that just imported a Hanoverian gelding from germany. She was purchasing a 4 year old. I asked her why the brand says 02. I told her she should call the breeder and question. I thought the brand should match the two last numbers on the passport life number (I of course am suspicious).
    Sandpiperfarm.com
    Sport Horse Breeding

No issues there. Please check the lifenumber of passport. German horses (hanoverians) do NOT have the year of birth underneath the brand but the 3rd and 4th last digits of the lifenumber. In the US they brand the brand plus year of birth.
    I hope she did not call yet and express her susicions that it is not the right horse. And be also sure that there are at least one state vet that checks very thoroughly that papers match horse !
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Foals 2014: Black filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    Black colt Likoto xx - Florencio - Prince Thatch xx

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    In the US they brand the brand plus year of birth.
    Only recently has the AHS branded with year of birth, like beginning in 2008 or 2009. In prior years, the letters "US" were used under the brand. But I digress, Alexandra is correct, the VhW uses numbers off of the lifenumber and not year of birth under their brand.
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Yup -- my US-bred '08 mare has 08 under the H.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    No issues there. Please check the lifenumber of passport. German horses (hanoverians) do NOT have the year of birth underneath the brand but the 3rd and 4th last digits of the lifenumber.
    Alexandra - isn't that a convention throughout Germany? IOW, the last two digits of the life number indicate the year of birth. And 3rd and 4th digits from the end of the life number will match the numbers beneath the brand. I have seen quite a few imported Oldenburgs branded that way, and IIRC, also Westphalians.

Quote Originally Posted by DownYonder View Post
    Alexandra - isn't that a convention throughout Germany? IOW, the last two digits of the life number indicate the year of birth. And 3rd and 4th digits from the end of the life number will match the numbers beneath the brand. I have seen quite a few imported Oldenburgs branded that way, and IIRC, also Westphalians.
    I guess yes, but am not 100% sure. But what is sure that all lifenumbers follow the same sort of systematic. First digits representing the breed, that stallion station, than number in breed registry and than year of birth.

Well and as far as I know last year some AHS horses got a 10 under their brand at one inspection site, so sometimes you do not know.

But I think if they do a branding mistake over here, this is shown in the papers in the diagram.

Any chance it was a branding problem? Horse moves during branding and 8 comes out like 2. I would believe the papers and *politely* ask the breeder.
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hansiska View Post
    Any chance it was a branding problem? Horse moves during branding and 8 comes out like 2. I would believe the papers and *politely* ask the breeder.
    If 3rd and 4th numbers from the end of the life number are "02", it's a pretty safe bet it *is* the right horse - esp. if color and markings indicated on the passport match the horse. So no need to worry the breeder about it.

Default Thanks for the info

thanks, I thought it was the last two digits of the life # which is the birth year. I did not realize it was the 3rd and 4 th digit. Thanks!
    Sandpiperfarm.com
    Sport Horse Breeding

Im pretty sure that all horses leaving Germany now have to be microchipped. The microchip will have all important info regarding the horse.

I am not sure about that one, because that would mean that even older horses that have no chip yet need to get one prior export. And I have not yet heard anyone tell me anything that their horse to be exported needed to get a microchip. But I can directly ask a friend who had a horse leave her property to the export quarantine.

My imported hanoverian gelding is branded 19. His registstration number on his passport ends in 1905 (he's a 2005 model). We imported Dec 10 and he is not microchipped. I've owned 5 German horses, and every one was branded the last 2 digits *prior* to the birth year. And in Germany, it's not common to re-name horses, and papers *don't* get "lost". So I'm sure there's nothing suspicious going on with the OP's horse in question.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

In Germany papers can not get lost as you need to have the passport whenever you transport a horse anywhere. Police can ask for those papers and control them. As if they would know what they control, but that is the law - and it is european law to have a passport. As said: upon export the federal vet checks exactly that the papers match the horse !

I checked back. The microchipping story is wrong. Horses exported from Germany do not need to have a microchip. As said the horse at my freinds place just left two days ago for its quaranteen. As she is a vet, she would never ever have any other vet put a chip into a horse under her care and for clients of her. She would always chip herself with local anasthesia (right word ???).

1 members found this post helpful.

When I bought my horse, his # under his brand said "36." I was afraid he was #36 at his keuring. He wasn't. It's just part of his life #. If the owner has the horse's passport, the life # will be on it. The first 2 #s, as others have said, constitute the registry. Last 2 #s on passport/pink papers constitute the year born. In between are the breeding station and the # that the dam was that year when she was bred at that station. At least that's how it was years ago.

I don't know what the branding is now. I bought my horse a dozen years ago. And his registry and all the other German registries were all doing similar branding. Now with the chips, things may be different. But you should check the "life #" before worrying about the horse's age or registry. People questioned my horse, and said he might be a western cow horse with his brand. That would have been fine with me.

If you buy an european book of warmblood registries, it will have all the info in it about life #s and everything else about the registries. I bought several when I bought my horse. Saved a lot of time and trouble back then, when people saw him and said "what is that?"

I had my horse chipped here.

Branding situation in Germany - that is a different topic.
    European law is that the animal clearly has to be identified. Our ministry of agriculture wanted to make it good and for each foal the chip is required started 2010.
    Our ministry of agriculture has also started a draft for a new law regarding animals. It includes to forbid the brand and require the chip to fullfill the european law. A huuuuuuge wave of protest from breeders from different registries, a lot of collection of signatures. Registries have started researches with Universities to show the pain that the animal is exposed to during branding especially agaist chipping. Breeders contacte local politicians. Invited them to see branding, videos were made aand send out. They visited our ministry of agriculture. A lady that as far as I know is not even a farmer or of that heritage... a loooong story. The brand is not just a tool to identify horses, it is also part of our culture and and a brand as in the sense of the word used in a company producing things.
    At the moment the situation is that the chip may still be required for newborn foals as it was already the last two years, but that the brand will hopefully stay. They have done a new draft of the law.
    My dream is also that the chip will be not mandantory, as there are lots of complications reported regarding the chips that are not really small over here. But keeping the brand is for now the goal each and every breeder (well most of them) has over here.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    The first 2 #s, as others have said, constitute the registry. Last 2 #s on passport/pink papers constitute the year born. In between are the breeding station and the # that the dam was that year when she was bred at that station. At least that's how it was years ago.
    This is still valid :-)

Interesting since mine are microchipped.... I wonder why? Maybe some breeders just do it voluntarily...
    Last edited by woodland cottage; Dec. 15, 2012 at 01:37 PM.

This makes me curious: Which breed ? And have you directly imported them ? Chip noted in passport ? A date given ? How is that in relation to import date ?

Today german government decided the hot brand will be allowed to be used as a "tool" to "recognize" horses ! (Will look up the right word later for what I mean).

Mine are Hanoverian and Oldenburg. No idea who imported them but both have microchips.