The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    east central Illinois and working north to the 'burbs

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    I personally would love to impress your hind end parts with my boot,......
    And personally, I'd like to see you try...
    Would you be wearing a narrow webbed or a wide webbed boot during the attempt? Why? Since you would be wearing boots, I can only assume that you are a 'closet barefooter'..........
    Your customer service is just astounding.
    A further demonstration that you don't know your buttocks from a hole in the ground.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Wrong again. Where do you come up with this silly drivel?

That is a really stupid analogy.

What is good for some laughs is your ridiculous assertions...Methinks your heels have sunk so far your knuckles are dragging.

Why not quit pretending you have a clue about how this stuff actually works while you're behind.

So your "authority" is the arbitrary testing criteria used on farrier certification exams, not a biomechanical explanation. I left the door open here for you to impress me with an essay on foot flutter lameness and the mechanics of point load distribution.

What farrier certification exams have you passed? AAPF?
    You guys are right, my farrier wouldn't be nearly this much of a dick about answering a simple question.

Forget I asked, all you're trying to do is baffle me with bullshit anyway. Save it for your hapless clients who have the audacity to try to become more informed horse owners - or better yet, just put a sock in it altogether.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

7 members found this post helpful.

Question about the question - by wide shoe and narrow shoe are you talking about the width of the metal or the actual width of the shoe?

I assume the width of the metal now that I have read the answers but when I first read the question I thought you meant the actual width of shoe (vs the width of the hoof).

Quote Originally Posted by Candle View Post
    I personally would love to impress your hind end parts with my boot, but alas, I have to settle for the ignore list.
    I deal with horses and real jackasses for a living. None of them have ever kicked my hind parts and I seriously doubt that a pretend jackass would have much of a chance with me either.

Your customer service is just astounding.
    Before you ASSume anything about my service, try to understand the difference between a customer and a client.

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    You guys are right, my farrier wouldn't be nearly this much of a dick about answering a simple question.
    A dick is someone who anonymously posts bad information on forums whilst pretending to to have knowledge and expertise. They become an even bigger dick when they cannot backup what they say with a technical and scientific explanation, yet continue making assertions on their ASSumed authority.

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    . . .I assume the width of the metal now that I have read the answers but when I first read the question I thought you meant the actual width of shoe (vs the width of the hoof).
    Farriers refer to the width of the metal as the width of the
    "web" or the "stock width." Thus wide webbed vs. narrow webbed shoes. Then there is the cross section of the metal. If you cut through the web perpendicular to the horizontal axis and view the width and height of the metal, we call this the "web profile" or the stock profile. The profile may be flat with a rectangular cross section or it may be half round or concave or half oval or . . . whatever the hammer dictates.

In regards to a wider shoe on the same foot increasing the size of the shoe's footprint beyond the size of the foot, that can change both the static and dynamic loading characteristics because that changes ground force leverage.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Tom.

Tom, I, as well as others on this board I'm sure, truly value that you are a knowledgeable farrier and are quite helpful here on COTH. It's fine to disagree with someone, and post facts to back up your knowledge and the truth, but is it possible to do without the snarky, sarcastic attitude? I know its annoying when people post non-facts or are not knowledgeable, but you can set the record straight without the "extras" that you throw in for digs.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Tom, I, as well as others on this board I'm sure, truly value that you are a knowledgeable farrier and are quite helpful here on COTH. It's fine to disagree with someone, and post facts to back up your knowledge and the truth, but is it possible to do without the snarky, sarcastic attitude? I know its annoying when people post non-facts or are not knowledgeable, but you can set the record straight without the "extras" that you throw in for digs.
    You mean Tommy outdoes me for an attitude??????
    That leaves me no choice but to redouble my efforts.
    I sure do wish Thomas1 was still here

I was a network security analyst for 15 years. I have had extensive training and experience protecting various domains from anonymous hackers and imposters.

I provide that service here for free. Why should I be obliging to anonymous hacks and imposters that would otherwise continue polluting the Internet with disinformation if otherwise left un-checked and un-qualified?

I was a network security analyst for 15 years. I have had extensive training and experience protecting various domains from anonymous hackers and imposters.

I provide that service here for free. Why should I be obliging to anonymous hacks and imposters that would otherwise continue polluting the Internet with disinformation if otherwise left un-checked and un-qualified?
    A thankless job I'm sure, but a few of us do appreciate your tireless and altruistic efforts

I for one appreciate Tom Bloomer's input, and that of the other farriers who post here. I do not care if he is "nice", just laugh it off.

I am so tired of all the whining about "customer service" on this board. Since when did "customer service" become more equated with hand-holding and kowtowing to every individual's immediate little needs, and less with plain old fashioned expertise?
    friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    Thanks Tom.
    Oh, and the "web" of an I-beam is represented by the vertical section of the capital letter "I" . . . which is probably somehow related to our terminology in regards to describing objects made of metal bent to a "U" shape and punched with nail holes.

"I sure do wish Thomas1 was still here"

Yes!

I see a red thumb in my future!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    . . . Since when did "customer service" become more equated with hand-holding and kowtowing to every individual's immediate little needs, and less with plain old fashioned expertise?
    Hackers don't have customers, they have targets and victims. This site is a target of opportunity for such anonymous predators. They feed on the unwary.

...Why should I be obliging to anonymous hacks and imposters that would otherwise continue polluting the Internet with disinformation if otherwise left un-checked and un-qualified?
    You don't need to be obliging...you just don't need to be rude when you set the record straigth with facts. Your knowledge here is helpful, but the snarky comments are not really helpful to anyone.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
    I am so tired of all the whining about "customer service" on this board. Since when did "customer service" become more equated with hand-holding and kowtowing to every individual's immediate little needs, and less with plain old fashioned expertise?
    I'd go for both. Sometimes the sneering attitude comes with a super-condescending attitude, and in my previous farrier's case, possibly deliberate ill service once the "little woman" and the "little woman vet" question what's he's doing. I am not the first person this has happened to, with him. He's an experienced farrier and if he'd made my horse's hooves better, I might have written off the attitude as a cost of being his client. But he made them worse... much worse.

New farrier appears to have both. He's nice, he answers my questions, he works with my vet... and my horse is more sound in his shoes. And he's slightly less expensive than the other guy, too.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Oh, and the "web" of an I-beam is represented by the vertical section of the capital letter "I" . . . which is probably somehow related to our terminology in regards to describing objects made of metal bent to a "U" shape and punched with nail holes.
    I thought I was understanding until you wrote this. What I wouldn't give for a diagram!
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    I thought I was understanding until you wrote this. What I wouldn't give for a diagram!
    http://www.architectionary.com/uploa...ion/wshape.jpg

Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by axl View Post
    Well you have a diagram in the last post. And yes it is a bit confusing because the "web" of a horseshoe has no "flanges" . . .