The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default safety is all that matters

My daughter started riding loose at 3 on a saint of a small pony. I like the young kids on smalls because they don't get scared if they do fall off. The first pony was only for trotting. She rode her bareback through the snow and walked her everywhere and did her first loose walk trot class on her. at 4 she moved on to an older been there done that small to learn to canter and jump on. She stayed on him through the mini stirrup. He doesn't have a lead change any more, and is certainly not the hack winner, but that doesn't matter. Once we started showing more seriously I knew we needed a pony with the change that she could move up and learn on. I bought her a famous older small who is the best jumper, but still not a good mover. Doesn't matter, there are three jump classes. In just 8 months with this pony (rider is now 6) she has gone from short stirrup to childrens ponies. She will be a wonderful rider because I have always made sure she is appropriately mounted. They never had to be pretty and they NEVER had to be good movers, they just had to be SAFE. Next year we will move onto pretty and worry about movement when she moves into the real division. And just one suggestion, my daughter ALWAYS has to wear a safety vest until she walks in the show ring. Not only does it protect her, but when she does fall it doesn't hurt so much so she never got too scared.

3 members found this post helpful.

My son's first pony at 2 was a sainted large. He was a good mover, but at 18, a bit arthritic. Pokey taught so many local kids learn how to ride - he was kind of a legend in the area. Safe was first though. His name suited him well.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

1 members found this post helpful.

This thread is making me love our Nanny pony even more. He is a small and has taught both my daughters to canter and jump. . This past summer he took my nine year old on a beach ride and was the first to go in the ocean. What certifies him as a saint? He will lift his neck way up if he feels them falling forward.

Worth his weight in gold....

9 members found this post helpful.

I know it wasn't requested by the op, but I think some pictures of these saintly ponies and their cute little riders might be helpful

6 members found this post helpful.

Here is LMEqT and her Nanny Pony "Roses Are Red" aka Rosie, last summer.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/b421dda6.jpg

And just for the pink cuteness, a pic of her at 4 on a Sainted lesson pony.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/8bb2e61c.png
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

Here is my oldest on her first pony "Pumpkin Patch": https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    "That is why you have a pony..." - Edgewood, 2011

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Here is LMEqT and her Nanny Pony "Roses Are Red" aka Rosie, last summer.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/b421dda6.jpg

And just for the pink cuteness, a pic of her at 4 on a Sainted lesson pony.

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/z...d/8bb2e61c.png
    Oh my God! That is a serious cute pink overload! And what a great leg she had at only 4. What a gorgeous kid and pony!

Kids are not in the cards for me, but I have taught hundreds of little tykes how to ride and taken them to their first show. I always loved getting them ready and doing the adorable braids and bows. (note that I also enjoy sending them home to their parents at the end of the day too! LOL)

One of my best friends has a 3 year old who I have already outfitted with her first riding gear - including a precious little lead line saddle. The first time we put her on a pony she cried when she had to get off! Smitten with ponies! Love it.

I am so excited to get this kid riding that I have forbidden my friend from cutting K's hair so that it will be braid ready for leadline. Yes - I'm crazy. My friend just rolls her eyes and says "go for it" since she is a complete pink-hating, non-girly person.

This is my daughter at 7 on the sainted medium she learned to canter and jump on...
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    This is my daughter at 7 on the sainted medium she learned to canter and jump on...
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
    Sooo

sooo cute! Boy she was tiny, hmmm? That medium looks like a large, she is so little.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    Here is my oldest on her first pony "Pumpkin Patch": https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    We cant see this cuteness
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Sooo

sooo cute! Boy she was tiny, hmmm? That medium looks like a large, she is so little.
    well he was a BIG medium

and oh how they grow, this is her a bit more than two years later on her medium of about the same height.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Like everyone else said, go with safe in whatever size you find it.

My first pony at 4 years old was a fancy, fancy 10 year old small my aunt got because she would give him a forever home and he was too spooky for a normal kid to show. Super mover, super jump, and super cute, but I trail rode him and he bolted off with me every single time. I never fell off of him and somehow kept my confidence, but that could've ruined another kid's riding career.

My lesson horses at that age were 14.2-15.3 hands. The one I rode the most was a spooky, touchy large (really, how did I stay confident?) and the other was a saintly older horse with only one eye left. He taught me how to jump, and just stepped over everything and did his job. He wasn't fancy, but little kids don't care about that- they want to have fun and if you want to keep them in the sport you have to keep them safe.

My next pony at 9 years old was a far better first pony choice. She was probably 30 years old, had been a lesson pony in the same barn the past 10+ years, and while she wasn't a typey Welsh, she was a nanny. She was a big small with a big head but man was she good. I could go out back and catch her, groom her, tack her up, ride her, and put her away by myself (I was SO proud). I learned to canter bareback on her and would just play with her. She had some soundness issues sometimes in one leg, but I mostly walked and trotted her anyway, and learned that sometimes I couldn't ride my pony but could just groom her instead.

Next good pony after that was when I was 11. I was more confident and secure and got a 4 year old big small Welsh cross. He's not fancy either but he's very cute. I was on that pony all day every day the first summer I had him and trained him myself (that's how safe he is). I showed him successfully in local shows for a few years and had tons of fun trail riding him and playing games on him. He's now leased out because I plan on taking him back for my own kids one day. The people leasing would love to buy, but even she knows when you have a pony safe, fun, and useable, you keep it.

Look for a lease. It'll be easier to find and probably more suitable if you want your daughter to show. However right now, worry about finding a safe, good pony that your daughter can enjoy all the time in any activity. If she wants to show, great, take her to a local show on saint pony. It's better for her to fall in love with the sport on a fun pony than push her into showing and make her hate it. Don't limit your search to hunter ponies either- you could find a good one playing trail pony in western tack.

My dd pony is 13.3. We got him when she was 5. She is learning to canter here she is about 7 yrs old
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...0260134&type=3
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Default Thanks all for the good info!

Yes safety is definitely the first priority. Our daughter had her first fall at a show this Summer. Pony broke into a canter and turned sharply at the same time. Not fun at all for us to watch, but she got up, dusted herself off and hopped right back on.

She is in a lucky spot because her barn has two very good smalls, and she has been learning on one of them and showing on him too. He is bombproof as near as we can tell.

But...alas, there has been some conflict at shows (of the little girl variety, you know how that goes), because there are a couple of other young riders at the barn who also ride that particular pony, and when it comes to show time, they all want to stay on as long as possible. Can't blame them, but there is just the one pony to go around.

So...when we find it....a new pony for her that she can call her own and build a bond with (for whatever period of time). And while all of this costs $$$, she is having so much fun, we wouldn't trade it.

I agree with everyone else. Get a big medium or small, slab sided large. It's much easier for them to lean to post and canter on the bigger, slower step. Both of my girls ride and we had a 13.3 hand POA/Arab cross that they learned on. He was a great mover, but could only w/t/c by the time we bought him at 19 years old. He's coming 26 now and is teaching his next little girl to ride and show.

My girls won everything, everywhere on him, including the leadline at Upperville. We used to joke that we could turn them lose in the scariest w/t classes and know they would be safe because King wouldn't let anyone within 25 feet of him. If they came close he sped up or moved aside. I swear he had a force field around him.

I also like a pony with a little motor for the young ones. Something with a work ethic and a good whoa. It's a lot easier for them to learn to ride if they can get the sucker to move without having to kick, kick, kick or take the crop to it all the time.

Here he is with my little one at Upperville when they won the leadline.
    http://teresaramsay.com/details.php?gid=1247&pid=59035

I have one that is safe and a fancy mover, but she's a large and not for sale yet. The reason I bought her was because she's bombproof with kids on her back and I figured that combination was darn near impossible to find.

Pics are here and here.

My apologies for not being an adorable small child.
    ---
    They're small hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I have one that is safe and a fancy mover, but she's a large and not for sale yet. The reason I bought her was because she's bombproof with kids on her back and I figured that combination was darn near impossible to find.

Pics are here and here.

Nothing wrong with being an adorable large child.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post

Pics are here and here.

well when your pony is THAT adorable, who needs kids??

Another vote for a saintly medium pony. My sister had the best, quietest, most patient pony ever to learn on. The only time she fell off was when he shook one time trying to get a fly off. Was a been there, done that type that had done the regular division for 10 or so years and was ready to move down to the SS or children's. Swear to god he could count down the lines himself.

Another vote for safe over movement. Safe and cute is even better than safe and lovely, I personally think.

I bought a medium so I can ride it on occasion. Here is the safe-as-houses Sunny pony with her boy:

http://www.shutterfly.com/lightbox/v...15f89dbf2f35f7

She is 19 and wonderful, if chronically too fat.