The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question 5 pt or regular breastplate for saddle slipping....

My new TB gelding has an issue with his saddle slipping back. He is built very up hill with a very prominent wither - so my dressage saddle just refuses to stay where it should. The saddle fits pretty well, but it is a tiny bit too wide in the gullet (he is currently hollow behind the withers) but I put an memory foam pad under it and it seemed to fill it out a bit. I am hoping that once he gains about 100lbs (he is terribly thin) and builds a topline that the saddle will fit a bit better and not slide back. My Bates saddle is to big for his short back due and my other saddle is a Thorowgood Broadback so that is definitely out of the question. The rest of my saddles are for the school horses and don't fit me.

For now I am looking for a breastplate for him and I have no idea what to buy. I have never used one (I am extremely minimalistic when it comes to tack).

So for saddle slipping issues is it better to go with a 5 point or regular breastplate? Elastics or no elastics? Will the 5 point even work with a dressage saddle?

You're positive you are not putting the saddle too far forward and it is just slipping back to where it should be/needs to be for this horse? By using a breastplate to keep the saddle forwards you could end up making the horse's shoulders sore by holding the saddle farther forwards than it should be.

That was my worry in the first place - reason I have never used one before. But the saddle is definetly slipping back (I know where a saddle is suppose to sit - I realize a lot of people place them too far forward on the wither). I am confident that once he puts some weight and muscle on the problem should go away - I am just looking for a temporary solution. I am open to other suggestions as well. I am going to pick up an anti-slip pad, but I don't think that alone is going to solve the issue.

My little TB is tough to keep a saddle in place, for several reasons. He likes my dressage saddle, though, and it fits him well enough, but between the not 100% perfect fit, the fact that he is slick as snot, and goes in a fleece girth and sheepskin on his back, there is just little hope to keep things in the right place.

I prefer a polo type breastplate/girth to a hunting breastplate and especially to a 5 point (which I think are just trendy but cumbersome pieces of tack that do the same exact job as a polo style breastplate). The polo goes to the billets instead of the D-rings, so I think it stabilizes the saddle better.

I just ordered this one- http://www.horseloverz.com/Martingal...ast-Strap.html

Bit of Britain is another good source- http://www.bitofbritain.com/Nunn_Fin...ate_p/0059.htm (note that this one does not come with the wither strap, which has to be bought separately . I have this one, as well, but my horse find the elastic irritating to his skin. It is a very nice quality, though.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks YB - do you find the breastplate interfers with his shoulder movement?

What has me thinking it wouldn't is because it looks similar to my welsh pony's harness breast strap - and his shoulder movement is to die for when pulling his cart. I figure the pony's cart would put more pressure on the shoulder than my horse's saddle.

No. I experimented this season riding without it for a couple of months, thinking maybe his trot lengthenings and mediums would improve. But, they're mediocre with or without the breastplate! If it is adjusted properly, it shouldn't interfere, and it certainly doesn't interfere with his shoulders when jumping.

I have known some real sensitive types who felt constricted in some types of breastplates, so just be aware that if you've got a sensitive personality, he may not like it. BUT, that being said, most horses I've ridden in breastplates on the flat could care less.

1 members found this post helpful.

as you know the saddle doesnt fit him properly so be careful when using it as you can damage the horses back with ill fitting tack- the horse will more than likely start advading it by bucking- or showing other signs of discomfort and i fully understand your plea- 1st if it was me would take the it to mastercraftsmen a saddle fitter in fact have them out to your place so they can see the horse and saddle used- as mastercraftsmen can alter saddles as the horse grows or in your case fills out

for short term answer- get yourself a decent gel pad use this plus a thick numnah

do lots of ground work before one attempts to get on long reining not lunging
    will build up the top line

Default Have you had chiro out?

When my horses saddle started slipping, I had just had it fitted. I knew that wasn't the problem, so I called the chiropractor. Horse was seriously out. I do ride this horse in a breastplate cross country, just in case.

PKN