The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You'll want to get a small aquarium-only bucket for your water changes, too. It doesn't have to be big since your tank is small. You could probably use a pitcher because of the smaller tank size - but if it's got measurements on it (or you know the exact size), it makes it that much easier to get the water conditioner amount right.

I use the same one to drain the water INTO when I'm doing the water changes that I use to add fresh water. Make sure you don't use this for anything else, just for fish water. You don't want to re-use a bucket you use for mopping the floor as this may introduce harmful things to your tank.

And of course we want pictures when you get everything up & running !

1 members found this post helpful.

As others have mentioned, it's easier to maintain a larger tank than a smaller one from a balance/pH/chemical standpoint. Even in a freshwater tank, you'll see less variation in levels with a larger tank so you don't have to be hovering over the thing all the time.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    As others have mentioned, it's easier to maintain a larger tank than a smaller one from a balance/pH/chemical standpoint. Even in a freshwater tank, you'll see less variation in levels with a larger tank so you don't have to be hovering over the thing all the time.
    In case you missed it, the OP has already bought the small tank - & it will be JUST FINE. No point in making her feel like she did something wrong - which she didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    In case you missed it, the OP has already bought the small tank - & it will be JUST FINE. No point in making her feel like she did something wrong - which she didn't.
    Yeah, I DID miss it. I didn't go far enough back past the point where I read the post to start with. THanks for the eye roll and the pissy attitude. I wasn't trying to make anyone feel badly, just mentioning that it's easier.

But thank you. And thank you for your other snarky post to me today. If I didn't know better, I'd think YOU had a reading comprehension problem today too. But I didn't bark at you over it because I assumed that perhaps people (like me, perhaps like you) read a post, come back, and don't always catch everything in between.

Noted. Have a great day!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Yay! The fish tank arrived yesterday. It's smaller than I thought it would be based on the ones in the pet store- so I think we'll just get a Beta most likely. I also go a thermometer, a gravel vacuum, a water testing kit etc!

On temp- how warm do Betas need it? We have our house on an automatic thermostat and it's at 60 at night and during the day and then goes up to 70 from 6:30- 8:30 AM and 4:30- 11PM and on the weekends. Will I need a heater?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    Yay! The fish tank arrived yesterday. It's smaller than I thought it would be based on the ones in the pet store- so I think we'll just get a Beta most likely. I also go a thermometer, a gravel vacuum, a water testing kit etc!

On temp- how warm do Betas need it? We have our house on an automatic thermostat and it's at 60 at night and during the day and then goes up to 70 from 6:30- 8:30 AM and 4:30- 11PM and on the weekends. Will I need a heater?

YEAH!!!

it's probably a good idea to get a heater to keep the temperatures more even.
    I did manage to keep fish alive without with very fluctuating temperatures, but I ended up using a baby wipe heater to keep the fish warm in the winter.

I am NOT sure about the temperatures, But I think they like around 75 degrees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

You might need a heater with your night time temps. I would set it up, let it run, and check the temp at 6:30 am. If you can maintain at 75 or so, you're fine. Below that, I would pick up a small heater.

Hi
    Your Child will be tickled with a BETA. Thanks to a former post on here ( "Chronicles of a beta fish" I think) I searched for my new family member. So I went and got a 3 gal tank,gravel, and the expensive beta food (which he hated). Then the fun began......I looked a a hundred poor sad looking Betas in there tiny cups. I got the "worst looking" one. Well let me tell ya he (Frank) is the most beautiful fish and omg soooo much personality for fish!!! He will interact with you as much as a fish can that is. He is very very easy to care for. I don't have a heater for him but I am in Florida and I keep my house a bit warm anyway. Good Luck and enjoy!

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/v...ps082fc415.jpg

We've had good luck with Zebra Danios, they are pretty easy. And, you can fit quite a few of them in a less than huge tank. We also had some "Glofish"...Zebra Danios that are genetically modified with a jellyfish gene that give them flourescent colors. Kind of creepy, but if you want bright colors without having to go with saltwater fish (MUCH higher maintenance), they are as easy to keep are regular Danios.

If you are looking for one, I have had a Hydor heater for little tanks for a couple of years now and I haven't had any problems with it. I set it on 80 degrees and the light comes on when it is on and goes off when it isn't. It seems to keep the little guy warm even in the winter when the heat is lower. Before that I had a betta and no heater. He just wasn't as active as the one I have now, which could be related to the individual fish but I think the heater is a big part of it. Bettas seem to like it warm. I must say that I love bettas. I have found that I have to be on a really good, regular schedule with cleaning the tank. They are very personable, though.

Yesterday my betta Mitchell died : ( He was over 3 years old at least, so he did last as long as I expected him too.

So today I ran out and had to have another one. I looked at all the fancy ones with the fancier tails.....and I ended up with another red veiltail, who just seemed to be looking at me saying "Pick ME!!). I hope his personality is just as fun as his predecessor. His name is Finn.

You'll enjoy your little fish so much. Makes you feel good when they come to greet you (looking for food, but so what).

Fish stay healthier and happier when their water is at a constant temperature. Ideal temps. for bettas are upper 70s/low 80s so yes, you will need a heater.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I currently have my betta in a five gallon filtered tank with heater. He does great in it. I have also kept bettas in community tanks of 10, 15, and 30 gallon. They get along with most tetras, I've kept bettas with neons--only had one betta eat all the neons--and that seemed to do him in, as he promptly died. All my other bettas didn't eat them. But yes, apparently some will. I like bettas, and don't find them difficult at all. But they are a short-lived fish. If you go with guppies, remember a little salt in the water is something they like.

I think bettas are a wonderful pick! I have five male bettas each in its own 5 gallon planted tank and a large "sorority" tank of female bettas, the latter I would only suggests for experienced fish keepers. My boyfriend said enough after I set up the 60 gallon salt water tank! haha

Bettas prefer temperatures from 77-82, any lower and they tend to become lethargic and less active. They certainly can live at lower or higher, but temperature swings without a heater are problematic. I have my bettas in with ghost shrimp. That is really hit or miss, as one of my bettas uses them as a snack, but the rest don't bother with them.

Enjoy your new pet! One Betta in a 5 gallon tank will make cycling a tank look easy. The biggest mistake people do with fish is overfeed them which will belly up a tank in no time. Get the tiny round Betta pellets and feed one at a time maybe twice a day. If he is hungry, he will gulp them up right away. He might eat 1-3, but try not to leave any floating around in there. Chances are, the ones you leave floating on top will end up dissolved on the bottom and yuck up your water. Also, do not use vacation feeders. A well fed fish can live a week without food, but not in toxic water.

As far as a water heater, I think you can get by without one. The small, low wattage heaters really are pieces of junk. It's more likely you will get one that cooks your fish than actually does what it's supposed to do. More trouble than it's worth, and I've spent the $ on the good brands too.

One of my favorite tanks I've kept is a 10 gallon female Betta community tank. I shopped every store I could find for the prettiest girls; it was like a magical fish rainbow! And another memorable one...I rescued a male from my FIL, who's tank was cloudy white with ammonia with a motionless fish sitting at the bottom with his fins clamped down. It was Christmas and I went home with a really sick fish in a cup on my lap. I was sure he would be a goner by the end of the night. He made it and ended up living another 4 years!

My recommendation is that you do a lot of reading first and then look on Craigslist to buy a nice used setup instead of buying everything new.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    My recommendation is that you do a lot of reading first and then look on Craigslist to buy a nice used setup instead of buying everything new.
    double edged sword though...while you can get a setup with nice innoculated gear, you can also get cooties....

Or leaks....

The OP was looking for something very specific, anyway, and was unlikely to find what she wanted--a nano setup that was viewable from all angles--on craigslist.

Sooo- we went to look at fish again yesterday at a different store and ended up getting the stuff to set up the tank. We gave it to our daughter early so we can get a fish right after Christmas. We had so much fun picking out decor.

We ended up putting it somewhere a little different since it looked vulnerable to a toddler pull over where I had planned on putting it.

Here is our future fish's home:
    http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/

Sooo- we went to look at fish again yesterday at a different store and ended up getting the stuff to set up the tank. We gave it to our daughter early so we can get a fish right after Christmas. We had so much fun picking out decor.

We ended up putting it somewhere a little different since it looked vulnerable to a toddler pull over where I had planned on putting it.

Here is our future fish's home:
    http://www2.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...NAME=snapfish/

oh dear... that fellow behind the tank....if he is like my friend's... you better watch out or he'll be fishing for betta....