The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2006
    Posts
    900

    Default

    I think you'll like the betta & plants. They have a lot of personality!

    I haven't had any issue keeping them alive an I am not the world's best betta mom....my current one lives in a heated 10 gallon tank with the danios. He spends a lot of time hiding in his various sunken ships, etc and begs for food whenever someone walks by.

    The danios are pretty old now. I have to do the math, but 12+ years maybe?

    The betta is just a couple years ago, but his predecessor was 7-8 years old before dying and the moonlight gourami I also had was 10+ years old.

    But anyway, I think you'll enjoy a betta. I think decorating the aquarium is a lot of fun!

    Now instead of accumulating more fish, I just spend time trying to find new ways to decorate the poison dart frog tank....need to save up to replace some bromeliads in the vivarium now!



  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2006
    Location
    Colorado- Yee Haw!
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Oh, here's another sexy looking tank. I'd prefer this over the Fluval:

    http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

    Eheim has been around FOREVER and makes a great filter. I've actually had some of these in the tank units that come with, and they just can't be beat. If you want to spend the dough, this would be a great way to go.
    Ooh- that one does look cool - I really want one on that you can see from all sides. With no top though wouldn't a lot of the water evaporate? esp in Colorado?

    thank you for the info on the BiOrb filter not being good. Another friend pointed out the lack of ground space for whatever plants/ houses my daughter might want as well. The Edge one does look really cool- but I don't want leaks!

    Thank you everyone for your help!



  3. #23
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,625

    Default

    According to the Eheim site, it's got a cover plate:

    http://www.eheim.com/en_GB/products/...le#description

    But yes, even with it, water evaporates pretty quick. When I had my tank at work (it also just has a cover plate) I'd just pour what was left in my water glass at the end of the day into the tank, and that kept it pretty steady. Now that I have it at home, I probably add water every couple weeks, and the water level drops noticeably in 3 - 4 days. Adding more water to the tank is just not that big of a deal, though (even for me, and I am seriously allergic to "work" for my fish, anymore.)



  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2006
    Location
    Colorado- Yee Haw!
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    We went to Petsmart after work today and she clearly likes the Guppies. Well, she may have liked the tank decor more, but for fish it was guppies. Can I mix the different colors, or do they like to have the same kind as themselves? I am going to go to an aquarium store to get the fish a friend recommended one. There were a few "sleeping" fish at Petsmart. I thought I had found the tank - Marineland 6 gal pillar - same brand as Simkie recommended, but it got horrible reviews when I got home and looked it up...

    So any Guppie specific advice?



  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    We went to Petsmart after work today and she clearly likes the Guppies. Well, she may have liked the tank decor more, but for fish it was guppies. Can I mix the different colors, or do they like to have the same kind as themselves? I am going to go to an aquarium store to get the fish a friend recommended one. There were a few "sleeping" fish at Petsmart. I thought I had found the tank - Marineland 6 gal pillar - same brand as Simkie recommended, but it got horrible reviews when I got home and looked it up...

    So any Guppie specific advice?
    Guppies are cool fish. You can merrily mix the colors!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.



  6. #26
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2009
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    If you don't want to have lots of little guppies, make sure you get all boys ! They are fancier than the females, but the pet store fish person should know the difference.

    Guppies are pretty easy to deal with and don't make as much of a mess as goldfish do.

    :-)



  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    They don't make these anymore There might be a few still floating around, but they're really tough to find, and I'm not sure if they're still making the filter cartridges....
    I think you've been misinformed or might be using the wrong search engine. The "Eclipse" aquariums certainly ARE still availabe - & still in a number of different sizes. And the full hoods, filters, replacement parts for the pump, etc., etc. are readily available both at aquarium stores/pet stores/big box stores & online. Just picked some up - no problem.



  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2007
    Location
    In my car, between work, home, and the barn!
    Posts
    359

    Default

    Just chiming in to say thanks for all of the good advice on this thread! We're looking into a betta for DS - who will be 7 next month - as his first "on his own" pet (we've got a cat, dog, guinea pig, and have had various pocket pets over the years, but he wants something that he can keep in his room and take care of himself with mom and dad just checking to see that he's done it). He's got to do a report for school on an animal - so it seems like after reading up on betta care, he might be ready to be in charge of one himself!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    I think you've been misinformed or might be using the wrong search engine. The "Eclipse" aquariums certainly ARE still availabe - & still in a number of different sizes. And the full hoods, filters, replacement parts for the pump, etc., etc. are readily available both at aquarium stores/pet stores/big box stores & online. Just picked some up - no problem.
    Weird. When I looked around, oh, maybe a year ago? They were NOWHERE to be found. I SCOURED the net--there was no mention of them on the Marineland site and the few I could find were from private sellers and generally used.

    Maybe it was a production issue? The Marineland site has been redesigned to sell some of them directly and they're even on the PetCo site now


    4Martini, the reviews certainly are terrible on that pillar tank! I've never really liked tanks than are taller than they are wide, myself, and I find them tougher to clean and maintain. And since fish usually prefer a horizontal stretch of water, often the space is smaller for them than you'd think.

    If you can, hit up a actual FISH store versus one of the big box stores for your fish. The fish are usually healthier and the employees know more. If you want to tell me where you are, I might be able to recommend a place



  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2001
    Location
    Packing my bags
    Posts
    33,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    If you don't want to have lots of little guppies, make sure you get all boys ! They are fancier than the females, but the pet store fish person should know the difference.

    Guppies are pretty easy to deal with and don't make as much of a mess as goldfish do.

    :-)
    just don't bother separating the moma fish. The babies will be taken care of.....

    Females have larger bodies, smaller tails, males the other way around, pretty easy to spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.



  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2006
    Location
    Colorado- Yee Haw!
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Thank you again! We decided on this tank http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...m?pcatid=24010

    I hope we like it! It gets really good reviews. I'm sure the modern decor will look great with the princess and rainbow decor my daughter likes. The male guppies will have quite the bachelor pad.



  12. #32
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Looks nice.

    You WILL need a heater for this tank if keeping guppies or any tropicals. And I notice in one of the reviews that finding a suitable heater is "challenging" - probably because of the tank size & electric cord issue. Be sure to find one before getting your fish.



  13. #33
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,625

    Default

    Nice looking tank!

    Reviews also say the filter is lacking, so be sure to keep your stocking levels on the lower side if you stick with the filter that comes with it.

    With regard to the heater, I'd set it up and let it run and monitor the temp for several days. You *might* be able to get by without a heater, depending on how warm you keep your house. Maybe.

    Also, no top plate with this tank, so evaporation will be high. You might also want to keep the water level lowish, or you might have jumpers.



  14. #34
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2006
    Location
    Colorado- Yee Haw!
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    Thanks! I'll look into a heater!

    The description says it comes with a beveled glass top and clips. I think they just don't put it in the pictures. That's what I hope. A toddler and open tank is a bad idea!



  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2001
    Location
    Center of the Universe
    Posts
    7,313

    Default

    Oh, don't buy a little-itty-bitty tank. New fish keepers always make this mistake- they think a small setup will be easier to start with, but it's not true. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and keep going. As a rule of thumb, never go smaller than 15 gallons, and the bigger you go the easier it gets- a 50 gallon tank is easy peasy for anyone to maintain with little effort, but only a true expert working hard can keep a 15 gallon tank stable.
    You can try to "stabilize" a small tank by buying a huge canister filter- it will make the chemistry of the tank more like a large tank. For example, normally a 15 gallon tank would be very unstable, but if you buy a canister filter designed for a 50-gallon tank it will help stabilize the small tank.

    If you must get a little 5-gallon tank, the only fish I'd even try to keep in there is a betta. Your guppies will just die when the chemistry fluctuates wildly, which it will with such a small tank.



  16. #36
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    Oh, don't buy a little-itty-bitty tank. New fish keepers always make this mistake- they think a small setup will be easier to start with, but it's not true. The bigger the tank the easier it is to maintain and keep going. As a rule of thumb, never go smaller than 15 gallons, and the bigger you go the easier it gets- a 50 gallon tank is easy peasy for anyone to maintain with little effort, but only a true expert working hard can keep a 15 gallon tank stable.
    You can try to "stabilize" a small tank by buying a huge canister filter- it will make the chemistry of the tank more like a large tank. For example, normally a 15 gallon tank would be very unstable, but if you buy a canister filter designed for a 50-gallon tank it will help stabilize the small tank.

    If you must get a little 5-gallon tank, the only fish I'd even try to keep in there is a betta. Your guppies will just die when the chemistry fluctuates wildly, which it will with such a small tank.
    Oh don't be a such a wet-blanket party pooper. We're talking about a first fish tank for a THREE-YEAR-OLD, not an introduction for someone wanting to work at the National Aquarium - lol!

    And while you're comments are basically sound, you apparently are unaware that a LOT has changed re: the world of small fish tanks in the past several years. They're not the automatic death traps they used to be, & are actually VERY easy to maintain & provide a decent habitat for the proper number & types of fish they're intended for.



  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    And while you're comments are basically sound, you apparently are unaware that a LOT has changed re: the world of small fish tanks in the past several years. They're not the automatic death traps they used to be, & are actually VERY easy to maintain & provide a decent habitat for the proper number & types of fish they're intended for.
    Especially if you do a planted tank!



  18. #38
    Join Date
    Jul. 29, 2006
    Location
    Colorado- Yee Haw!
    Posts
    3,096

    Default

    The tank is ordered. We will get a heater locally after we have it so we can return them if don't fit well.

    What else do we need? DD will pick out the decor after Christmas and we will set up. I saw some cool broken shells for the bottom- can I use that instead of gravel?

    We'll get a new filter if necessary- it sounded like they were pretty easy to replace.

    Thank you for all of your support!
    Kate



  19. #39
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    17,625

    Default

    Are you going to do plants? If you want live plants (and I would really recommend them, as they really do help to stabilize the tank) Eco-Complete makes it downright easy.

    You can do plants with regular gravel (go with the smaller stuff) but it's a little more difficult.

    I would not just use broken shells on the bottom. One role of the substrate in your tank is to provide surface area for your de-nitrifying bacteria to live. You want a LOT of surface area.

    If you have not, read through this: http://faq.thekrib.com/begin.html

    And you'll want a basic test kit: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

    You'll also want a gravel vacuum. They pythons are VERY nice for filling and water changes, but a basic one is really all you need for water changes.



  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep. 5, 2011
    Posts
    2,966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    The tank is ordered. We will get a heater locally after we have it so we can return them if don't fit well.

    What else do we need? DD will pick out the decor after Christmas and we will set up. I saw some cool broken shells for the bottom- can I use that instead of gravel?

    We'll get a new filter if necessary- it sounded like they were pretty easy to replace.

    Thank you for all of your support!
    Kate
    I'd nix the broken shells & get regular aquarium gravel instead. It comes in lots of kid-friendly bright colors these days (although I always think black shows off the fish better, but them I'm an adult (I think - lol!!).

    Broken shells come from salt water, & can sometimes leach things into the water that freshwater fish find unpleasant.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the filter so long as you don't overload the tank with fish & stick to easy beginner-type species.



Similar Threads

  1. Pond Fish People, serious fish dying problem!!
    By 2ndyrgal in forum Around The Farm
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jul. 27, 2012, 12:37 PM
  2. New to Fish Care...Help a Newbie!
    By fargonefarm in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Feb. 5, 2012, 08:15 PM
  3. Fish for a fish hater
    By Dry Clean Only in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Feb. 2, 2012, 06:15 PM
  4. A vent. Big fish, little fish, fish fry.
    By vented in forum Off Course
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Sep. 10, 2010, 10:26 AM
  5. Fish Oil?
    By cswoodlandfairy in forum Horse Care
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar. 24, 2010, 11:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •