The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canter Cuties at Turfway Park (Kentucky)

I volunteer for Canter KY and went up and took some listings this past weekend at Turfway Park. If anyone is looking for some nice prospects that just need some time off, check these guys out! Very small world, but one of them (Mach nine) I handled at the farm where he was born 5 years ago, and didn't have any idea until the trainer pulled him out and told me his breeding!

Mach Nine: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

Reaglest Beaglest: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

Afleet Indy: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

If anybody wants more info on any of them, please feel free to contact me. I really liked both Afleet Indy and Mach Nine, and Reaglest Beaglest was quite the goof in the stall, begging for scratches!

1 members found this post helpful.

I called about Mach Nine earlier today-- he is quite the looker! I watched his race replays, and WOW does he have a nice canter/gallop. Big, open strides, very free through his shoulder. A very classy looking horse...not surprised from Pin Oak.

His trainer seemed to care for him very much and wants him to land in a nice place, he seemed very honest and upfront about the horse. I'm a bit concerned about Mach Nine's soundness; I'm not sure he'd hold up for anything upper level, but perhaps with management, time off, and a softer work schedule he might be fine.

I looked at a 3 y/o OTTB today, if he doesn't vet I might make it up to Turfway to check Mach Nine out and a few others.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

AJ, If you go up, take a look at Afleet Indy as well. He didn't photograph as well, but had great bone, was well balanced, and a couple inches bigger than Mach Nine. Mach Nine was a super good looker, but would need a rider like you, as he seemed smart and confident, and HOT. I'm sure some of that would burn off if given some turn out though. Both trainers are really nice and I felt they were both honest and upfront about both horses. The ankle thing on Mach Nine is questionable, but he looks the part and with that breeding and confo is worth the risk! I didn't trot him as he was acting silly, but I did have Afleet Indy trotted, and he looked sound and had no problems with me palpating and flexing him, although I didn't do a true lameness exam.

Reaglest Beaglest is just lovely...for some reason he just screams dressage horse to me, but that's based on my very subjective and at-a-glance impression. I would take any of them home in heartbeat!

Wow, Mach Nine and Reagalest Beaglest are just LOVELY! I wish I lived across the country to snatch them up. Somebody please give these guys a job, they look promising

I would review Mach nine's Rads' and if good get an ultraSound of Suspensories..he looks well worth te time effort and wait on 90 days RnR...JMHO

Reaglist is also another super nice looking take a chance w/ a clean provenance...Last guy would explore the chips and weight cost of removal against possible re-sale..

Bump for these nice horses. Heard from the head of Canter KY, and Afleet Indy REALLY needs to find a home by the end of the month as the trainer is leaving turfway park. He was really nice and I would hope that someone will take a chance on him. He has been in training without a problem, was very attractive, and is well bred. Somebody out there must need a new eventer prospect!!!

Afleet Indy: http://canterusa.org/index.php?optio...ngs&Itemid=342

I have been around horses for a long long time and I have become over the years very suspicious of what I call code words.

"He can be very energetic".

Really?

What does that mean?.....he has to be chased down by the pony cause the jock can't stop him....

Or maybe it just means that he has never walked a flat footed step in his life.

So just what does it mean?

I might be interested but not if it means that he bucks for the first 30 minutes of every ride.

I am referring to Afleet Indy

So what does it mean?

Quote Originally Posted by cssutton View Post
    I have been around horses for a long long time and I have become over the years very suspicious of what I call code words.

"He can be very energetic".

Really?

What does that mean?.....he has to be chased down by the pony cause the jock can't stop him....

Or maybe it just means that he has never walked a flat footed step in his life.

So just what does it mean?

I might be interested but not if it means that he bucks for the first 30 minutes of every ride.

I am referring to Afleet Indy

So what does it mean?

According to the trainer, when he gets excited he is quite strong in the bit, but does not actually bolt, and is light on his feet when excited. He was not reported to be a bucker. He was quiet and well mannered when pulled out for pictures, standing quietly while there were multiple cars driving by and in full view of the track. I have full confidence that with some down time he would settle in with no problems. The trainer said he had a good work ethic and was a solid individual.

"light on his feet".

More code words.

I would not go near him unless I were 20 years old again and still bounced like a rubber ball.

Either he bucks or rears.

The trainer should say it the way it is.

2 members found this post helpful.

"light on his feet".

More code words.

I would not go near him unless I were 20 years old again and still bounced like a rubber ball.

A bit harsh for a horse you have never laid eyes on, wouldn't you say?

Even if he is energetic on the track, taking him away from that environment and getting him off the high powered feed they probably have him on could make all the difference in the world.

If you are interested, call the trainer and talk to him about the horse's temperament. If not, don't go starting rumors about a horse you don't know anything about. It really is not fair.

I believe Reaglest Beaglest found a home!

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caryledee View Post
    I believe Reaglest Beaglest found a home!
    I really liked this horse, that look in his eye! He's going to be someone's let's live life BF!
    The truth is what you can get other people to believe.

-- Tommy Smothers

"light on his feet".

More code words.

Turn him out 24/7 and you have a different horse in two weeks time.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

2 members found this post helpful.

Turn him out, manage his feed and treat him for ulcers. Yes, there are some that stay a bit hot, but most settle unless they are nut-cases, of which there is no indication. To me, light on his feet means he wants to jig and dance, not walk flat footed, maybe not my favorite thing at this stage in my life, but not a "run far away" signal.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

^ Agree with this.
    I do think, in a riding horse, that "gets light in front" is code for rearing or attempting to, but I wouldn't make the same assumption about a race horse called "light on his feet"

All really cute horses!

I think turnout will help of course; but usually IME if the trainer is making a point to say he needs an experienced rider, then that usually means that he's a little more difficult to handle then the average OTTB.

I feel bad for him, I know he won't get placed. Not with knee chips and a "hot" personality.

You know, cs, I wouldn't be too worried about such comments re a horse in training. Five years ago (when I was only 60), I took a stakes winner who...savaged other horses DURING THE RACE. And still won (and got DQ'd). I think that, with most of these guys, given a little time of RnR (which he got) they usually turn out to be good sorts. This fellow spent 4 years at the track and has a true work ethic. He's now my reliable training level fellow, lives out 24/7 with others and is pleasant on the ground. I think that much of the behavior noted at the track is situation-specific.

I wish I had seen this thread. I was at Turfway Park picking up the Sky Dancer horse this weekend, and would have been very happy to look at any of these others for interested parties. :~(

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    I wish I had seen this thread. I was at Turfway Park picking up the Sky Dancer horse this weekend, and would have been very happy to look at any of these others for interested parties. :~(
    I looked at and took the pics of sky dancer, REALLY liked him! Glad to hear he landed in a good place, and would love to hear updates on him. What do you plan to use him for?

Quote Originally Posted by visorvet View Post
    I looked at and took the pics of sky dancer, REALLY liked him! Glad to hear he landed in a good place, and would love to hear updates on him. What do you plan to use him for?