The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Need some advice on a OTTB: UPDATED WITH NEW QUESTION SEE LASTEST POST

I am currently looking at adopting a OTTB from a very reputable rescue.... the horse meets all my criteria, and really seems like it could be the one I'm looking for, but I have some concerns....

The horse had a hairline fracture at one point in his racing career. It has since healed and has been given the complete OK by a vet, to be able to have a happy and health career, and was cleared for jumping. Second the horse, has a shorten throatlatch, where he had surgery for, in turn they removed his "vocal chords" and now he's pretty much mute. (There is a correct vet term for the surgery, but right now I can't remember for the life of me). They have told me that he is no way should ever be impeded. Should I be concerned? Should all of this be one giant red flag?

Am I way off base when I say could this be an indicator of poor genetics? And that if he broke his leg once, that he's prone to break again?

I have been honestly told by the trainer on premises that this horse would be one of their more expensive adoptions of it weren't for the injuries, and that this horse has a real chance of making someone an incredible horse. AM I crazy for looking at this horse. Should I just say forget it and walk away?

I should also say what I intend to use this horse for. Which is lower level eventing, trail ride, hunter paces, and have as a new partner. He would be my sole focus.
    Last edited by Sloeryder; Feb. 7, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Wouldn't worry much about the hairline fracture, but I do not quite know what kind of surgery you're talking about..tie-back maybe?
    ETA: guess I might want to know whereabouts this hairline fracture was but still, not real concerning IME.

Yes tie back!!!!! Thank you!!!

ETA: I'm sorry for my novice newbie statement about Tie Back surgery. This would be my first time exposed to it and I want to make sure I educate myself before I make a decision.

A tie back for a lower level eventing horse isn't typically an issue...nor is a healed fracture.

Both common injuries and surgeries. I have one horse who had a tie back, we scoped her on the PPE and it looked in good shape and well done. That is my only real concern with a tie back...that it was well done.

Are you doing any sort of PPE exam? I would...even with a rescue. The tie back would be something I would want my vet's opinion on. It may not be an issue at all but it is the sort of thing best discussed with your vet after they have examined the horse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    A tie back for a lower level eventing horse isn't typically an issue...nor is a healed fracture.

Both common injuries and surgeries. I have one horse who had a tie back, we scoped her on the PPE and it looked in good shape and well done. That is my only real concern with a tie back...that it was well done.

Are you doing any sort of PPE exam? I would...even with a rescue. The tie back would be something I would want my vet's opinion on. It may not be an issue at all but it is the sort of thing best discussed with your vet after they have examined the horse.
    Please please please forgive my newbie question but PPE exam, refresh my memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    Please please please forgive my newbie question but PPE exam, refresh my memory.

No problem. It is a Pre-Purchase Exam. Typically when buying a horse, you hire a vet to exam the horse to make sure they are physically fit for your purpose. Even when adopting from a rescue, it is advisable to have a vet exam the horse for you. It is of course no guarantee that the horse will be suitable or stay sound.....but they would be the best to let you know how big of a risk you are taking with a horse like this.

But just from what you have said...no, you are not nuts for still considering this horse.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    No problem. It is a Pre-Purchase Exam. Typically when buying a horse, you hire a vet to exam the horse to make sure they are physically fit for your purpose. Even when adopting from a rescue, it is advisable to have a vet exam the horse for you. It is of course no guarantee that the horse will be suitable or stay sound.....but they would be the best to let you know how big of a risk you are taking with a horse like this.

But just from what you have said...no, you are not nuts for still considering this horse.

Duh.. I'm sorry it's late I was confused by the abreviation. Ugh.. You have to forgive me I'm really stressed out about this horse. I can't even begin to tell you how much this horse and I matched and with the health stuff I'm stressing out trying to figure out what I should do.

It depends on where the fracture was but many horses may have a small fracture and in particular locations it really isn't much of a big deal. Even a fracture that has been repaired by a screw is often not going to cause much of an issue for a lower level career. There could be some arthritis but you would have to xray to know the specifics.

I would be more concerned with the tie back and would want to know the specifics. Many horses can develop further complications. I would probably scope the horse just to be sure. If the surgery was done successfully than you should be good to go.

I think you would be looking at less than $500 to have the horse scoped and the xrays taken. I would have a good sports horse vet do the vetting and if they approve than you should be good to go. If the rescue has xrays and a scope report than have a good vet review it before you move forward.

It sounds like this guy had a ventriculocordectomy. These can be done with or without a tie back. The tie back procedure sutures the arytenoid cartilage back partway to improve airflow. The additional ventriculocordectomy proceduce can further increase the airway. Both procedures are fairly common in larger horses.

I just had a tie back done on my guy. The sutures are permanent, but additional scar tissue builds up which helps to hold the cartilage back as well. If his breathing does not improve, I may go back later and do the ventriculocordectomy as well. It is a standing procedure; the horse does not have to go under general anesthesia.

You can have the horse scoped during the pre purchase and check to see if a tie back was done, and if the sutures are holding. I would not let it stop me from buying a horse that was healthy otherwise; if the procedure was done correctly by an experienced surgeon the results are ususally good.

Have a PPE done by a reputable vet - include a scope and rads of at least the old fracture site. I honestly would be totally fine with a healed fracture and tie backs are not a big deal to me at the lower levels. IMHO, he sounds like he is going to make you happy so pay the extra $ for the PPE and put your mind at ease!!

Default A New Question

OK I need to ask another important question.... He had the surgery after his first year in racing to open up his airways, due to a narrow throat latch. He supposedly gets a little worried if you ask him to flex beyond a 45 degree vertical will this be a problem for dressage? Or will this be something that with time and patience I can work on and improve?

IF my choice of language is confusing I'm apologizing a head of time.

The two may not be related. One of my current mares had a tie back because of a narrow throat latch.....she has no issues going on the bit for dressage and if anything, over flexes.

He...like a lot of horses...may just get worried if he starts to feel trapped.

For lower levels....I really wouldn't be worried but I would have my vet look at him.

It sounds like you like the horse....I really wouldn't over think it. Vet him and see what the vet thinks...making sure the vet understands what you intend to use this horse for.

Good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    in turn they removed his "vocal chords" and now he's pretty much mute.
    Do you plan on teaching him sign language?
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    Do you plan on teaching him sign language?
    Sure! Hey wasn't there a talking horse once I gotta get that Guinness World Record!

I bought my horse straight from the track and was told by his trainer that he shouldn't jump because he had developed bone chips in both front knees in 2008 (which he then raced on sound for the next 3 years)... at his PPE I had both knees x-rayed and the vet said he should be fine to jump at least 2'6... I then brought the x-rays home and had my vet look to see if I should have them removed and he basically said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'.
    My point being I absolutely fell in love with my horse the moment I saw him. And it didn't matter to me if he was limited... if I had to take up dressage (something I am not very good at) then that's what I would have done... if it would be better to pay 5,000 dollars to have his knees done... I would have done that too. It's much harder to find a horse that you click with and have an honest love for than it is to find one that's medically perfect. And in all honesty you could buy one that is medically perfect, get it home and it fractures it's sesamoid while hacking in the field. To me, personality goes much further. Having a horse that I enjoy going to see every day because I know I'm going to get "pony hugs" is much better. If you think it's something you can deal with, I say go for it! I have never regretted buying my horse because of his less than perfect knees.

1 members found this post helpful.