The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Default New USEF Eventiing Committees--thoughts?

I'd like to hear what other people think. Especially about the Selection Committee.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Since I can't get anyone to respond, here are my thoughts, FWIW.

The president of the USEF appoints the committee members. DOC appointed the members who were responsible for naming him coach. Just before leaving office as USEF president, he appoints the eventing committee members for what is a term far longer than just one year, IIRC. These are the people who will be evaluating his performance as Team Coach.

I just wonder why these committee appointments were not put on hold for the new USEF president's input.

You folks can come to any conclusion that you would like, but I have already come to mine--and it ain't without strange odors.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Ah, ok. The original question was a big vague, especially for someone like me who's on the fringe of the "loop". I honestly thought there were new committees that were formed and figured someone would mention exactly what they were and their purpose before I could form an opinion.

Now I see you're asking about the whole "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" good ole boy network that is the governance of our sport. Whether intended or not, the process leaves a LOT to be desired in the transparency department... and that does no one any good, least of all the perceived integrity of the sport.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

The committee members for High Performance, Eligible Athletes, and Selection were just announced per COTH. I think their terms are synchronized with the Olympic cycle but am not sure. If the terms are shorter than four years, please correct.

What exactly does the eligible athletes committee do? I googled but didn't come up with much.

I would doubt highly that these committees are appointed by the President....they shouldn't be anyway. He is just an officer....these are committees of the BOARD. They would have been selected and appointed by the Board. I'm sure the President (both coming and going) had some imput but the buck stops with the BOARD. Which I'm sure is a room of fairly stong minded individuals who have their own opinions on things.

ETA: In other words...I'm not extremely concerned about the you scratch my back thoughts. But as to any other opinion on these committees....I really don't have one. I've only read a small amount about them and the first thought that came to my mind was thank goodness *I* don't have to be on one of those committees. Thankless jobs generally and they have a tough tough task. Being on a Board is generally thankless as well. Worse for me as a lawyer....get asked to be on Boards all the time (and often do what I can to get out of them but it is important to give back to the sport and your community....just not a fun job).
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 12, 2012 at 03:48 PM.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

3 members found this post helpful.

I did have a question, and at the risk of setting a new one day record of red thumbs I'll ask it. Because it's not meant to be snarky, it is a genuine question.

I saw they added Bruce D to the selection committee. Now my question becomes, How, if Karen was considered to be a conflict of interest with David as the Chef, isn't Buck in some way in conflict with his father on the selection committee?

I genuinely hope not. I like Buck and think he could be a good team rider as he has demonstrated in the past. But why if one is a conflict is not the other a conflict also.

Just asking.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

1 members found this post helpful.

Conflicts are very common. Bruce will just recuse himself from any decisions relating to his son. The committee will act without Bruce for those decisions.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Thanks for that!

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I wondered that as well. About Bruce and Buck. There is no one in eventing more supportive than the Davidson family. They are not only top competitors, but have great support for each other. I imagine they will just have to excuse Bruce when Buck is under consideration or something. I hope they get it worked out because Bruce is an almighty find for that committee. His very presence will open lots of overseas doors and his approval will strike fear in the hearts of our opponents. I think the Power of Bruce will go a long way across the pond....and Derek as head is a superb choice as well. No one in America is as keen at observing upper level pairs than Derek. I learn something about horsemanship and training with every Derek DiGrazia cross-country course I walk. As do those who ride them.

Those committees have a ton of work to do and lots and lots of traveling and observing. While it would be a lovely job to do if you got paid, I highly doubt it is a gigantic funfest to participate on those committees. Often, only those who actually say "yes" get on them. It is a hard sell at times, as Bornfree can attest.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

While both are conflicts, one has some room for debate/possibility for working around the conflict, while the other is impossible. Two key differences:

1-Bruce is only a selector-DOC is the coach. I would say the coach has way more real power than any one selector in determining who makes a team. Perception among the high performance riders would appear to agree. And as mentioned above, a selector can always recuse himself. There's only one coach.

2-There's a big difference between a H/W relationship and a parent/child relationship, particularly a parent/adult child relationship. One is a relationship created by nature that will always exist. The other is a relationship created by human emotion and the law and can be dissolved. If Bruce selects against Buck and Buck gets mad, they're still father and son and no amount of hard feelings can change that. Marriage is a choice. That creates a different set of pressure. There was enough underground muttering among the other HP riders during DOC's tenure as USEF president. It would only be worse if she makes the team while he's the coach.
    There are many circumstances in the law/business where the H/W relationship is assumed to have a unity of purpose and is recognized as being more/above than the parent/child relationship-confidentiality, priviledge, taxes, burial rights, intestacy, spousal right of election against estates, immunity, liability for debts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    ETA: In other words...I'm not extremely concerned about the you scratch my back thoughts. But as to any other opinion on these committees....I really don't have one. I've only read a small amount about them and the first thought that came to my mind was thank goodness *I* don't have to be on one of those committees. Thankless jobs generally and they have a tough tough task. Being on a Board is generally thankless as well. Worse for me as a lawyer....get asked to be on Boards all the time (and often do what I can to get out of them but it is important to give back to the sport and your community....just not a fun job).
    I would MUCH prefer to give back by being a jump judge than by sitting on a board.

I've been poking around in the USEF Bylaws trying to understand how things work.

The High Performance Committees are in Section 504 of the Bylaws. They do all the leg work on all high performance questions and then submit their recommendations to the High Performance Working Group of the USEF Board of Directors.

Here's how they are chosen
    Four members of the Driving HP Committee and three members of each other High Performance Discipline Committee shall be Eligible Athletes elected by Athletes as provided in Bylaw 504 Section 3. The balance of the Committee (i.e. eight (8) members) shall be appointed by the President or President-Elect. In making such appointments the President shall consult with the VP High Performance, the FEI affiliate representative on the Board, the current Chairman of the respective High Performance Discipline Committee, as well as the Chairman of the respective Eligible Athletes High Performance Discipline Committee. Such appointments shall be subject to approval and substitution by the Executive Committee.
    The Bylaws are very interesting in that the President appoints almost all the members of almost all the committees. Only some committees have appointments that are subject to approval by the Executive Committee or the Board.

So then the question would be whether the President or the President Elect selected the member of the "new" Eventing High Performance Committee. Was Christine Tauber even the President Elect at the time these committees were chosen? Certainly she wasn't at the time DOC appointed the Committee that chose him as Chef.

All these Committees are appointed for 4 year terms.

Interesting Vinny...but if you look at the last sentence of what you posted, the appointments are still subject to the approval and substitution by the Executive Committee. So it isn't the President acting alone---the board does still act through its EC.

I thought KOC was 'retiring' once the change of guard happened, so as to not cause any conflicts?

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    Since I can't get anyone to respond, here are my thoughts, FWIW.

The president of the USEF appoints the committee members. DOC appointed the members who were responsible for naming him coach. Just before leaving office as USEF president, he appoints the eventing committee members for what is a term far longer than just one year, IIRC. These are the people who will be evaluating his performance as Team Coach.

I just wonder why these committee appointments were not put on hold for the new USEF president's input.

You folks can come to any conclusion that you would like, but I have already come to mine--and it ain't without strange odors.
    I can't tell if you are focusing on just the selection and high performance committees or if the Eventing Technical Committee is in your sights as well. If the Eventing Technical Committee is included, just to let you know the members for it are not selected like they are for the Selector and HP committees. For the Technical Committee which has 19 members, 11 are appointed by the USEA, 4 are appointed by the Eligible Athletes, and the remaining 5 are appointed by the USEF President. All appointments except those by the Eligible Athletes are subject to approval by the USEF Executive Committee.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?