The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

... if it had a comma in it.

"That's not exactly safe, and super weird."

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm in the MYOB crowd; I usually am. Obviously more back story than what we are getting; not sure that I really want it though.

I'm confused though were the "small child" came in? I didn't see one in the OP, just a "boy" which could be any male under say 20. The "girl" at my barn is a wisp of 15 and I wouldn't worry one bit about her walking a horse down the side of the road.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    EXACTLY. The conversation should have gone something like this.

*sees horse tied to tree*
    "What's with the horse tied to the tree?"
    *explanation given for horse tied to tree*
    "Oh."
    *walk away*
    I would have wondered if the horse was being stolen, and I would have called. Unless of course, it's common to tie free horses out in the parking lot. Perhaps with a "Free" sign painted on? I mean here in America we do that with old appliances and slightly smelly armchairs. Not horses.

I'm confused about the spy. OP says the new owner was calling the BO for the papers when she encountered him. So, the BO could have heard her in the background even if New Owner was only leaving a message. That could be the reason for the BO's subsequent phone call. I gree there sounds like there is history that we are not privy to.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    Right here is where you stepped over the line. Once the man told you it was his horse and he was taking it home, your reply should have been "ok" and you should have turned around and went about your business.
    I understand MYOB, and generally live by the motto, but if this horse had caused injury to the boy, escaped and gone on to cause injury to other drivers everyone would have been begging to know why a young boy was allowed to "lead" a spirited young WB from the back of a pickup! It's a situation so far from the norm that asking about it hardly seems out of line. When the state police are trying to patch together events that lead to injury and property damage, I bet they'll ask why no one mentioned any of it.
    It's one thing to gossip about how the horseowner in the next stall brushes her horse, it's another to question something that seems rather absurd on it's face.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    You could take this story and turn it around. Suppose the OP said that she arrived at the barn and saw the BO's horse tied to a tree outside of the gate. She saw a man and he said he owned the horse and was taking him to his house. You shrug your shoulders and walk away, thinking that it is a weird situation, but what the heck. Weird especially since the BO is nowhere to be found.

Man leaves with horse and you get a call from the BO having a fit because you just let a strange man walk away with your imported horse and you never even questioned it? It is very interesting that most of these posters wouldn't have done a thing.
    Absolutely. I think no matter what the OP did in this situation she'd have been reprimanded. I've worked for folks like this in the past, and have boarded at barns with this type of BO. It doesn't get any better with time.

What's that Maya Angelou quote? When someone tells you who they are, listen, the first time.

This whole scenario stinks like week old fish and I'd be outta there so fast it'd make my head spin. Just WRONG on so many levels.

1 members found this post helpful.

People keep ignoring the fact that there was staff there by the OP's own statement, which is the biggest reason she should not have been involved except to make sure THEY were aware what was happening.
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm really astounded at the number of people who are saying "MYOB" about a horse tied to a tree and about to be led down the road from the back of a truck.

You folks don't think that's not only just horrific horsemanship, but also super dangerous for the horse and all people involved (including passing motorists)?

The OP's situation seems very odd, but honestly, at what level do you address someone doing something "strange" at your barn? At what point to you call it to the attention of staff or trainer or BO? If so are you a "spy" are a responsible party hoping to spare someone damage or injury?

If you see something potentially unsafe or against the rules (jumping solo, riding without a helmet) what do you do? What about a lesson rider allowing her toddler sibling into a stall? What if the stall is that of a young very green horse? What if you witness theft? How about someone riding a horse they are not authorized to ride? Feeding treats to a horse in a restricted diet?
    Would you want an MYOB policy when YOUR horse is being used in lessons w/o permission or being sent out for unauthorized hacks? Or when your girth is gone or when your green horse hurts a non horsey 7 year old who just happened to wander into his stall?
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

4 members found this post helpful.

Forget the spies and the drama, I'm curious to know what kind of person ties a horse up to a tree, assuming unsupervised, to get picked up?

The whole thing sounds weird, but I don't really have an opinion about spies or whatever.

However, if I drove up to my barn and saw a horse tied to a tree out front I would seriously have to ask myself what the hell I was doing boarding there!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    I'm really astounded at the number of people who are saying "MYOB" about a horse tied to a tree and about to be led down the road from the back of a truck.

You folks don't think that's not only just horrific horsemanship, but also super dangerous for the horse and all people involved (including passing motorists)?
    What I was thinking.

I certainly would have been goggle-eyed at the whole situation, spoken to the man and addressed his half-assed plan of getting the horse home. My rule with MYOB is "what are the odds of someone (human or animal) getting badly hurt?" If they're pretty high, I speak up. If the human ignores me, at least I tried.

As far as the whole "barn spies" thing, I'd guess that the OP has issues with the BO, etc., that predate this whole situation. But that's just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    EXACTLY. The conversation should have gone something like this.

*sees horse tied to tree*
    "What's with the horse tied to the tree?"
    *explanation given for horse tied to tree*
    "Oh."
    *walk away*
    There ya go. That's all that needs to happen. Let the lips of the spies wag. There's not much to report here.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I've led one down the road tied to the back of a buggy. , so seeing one tied to a tree, post, wall, etc and later moved from one barn to another, without a trailer, is not a big deal to me. I shared the road with tractor trailers or Harley & my horse - not a BFD. I'll stand by the MYOB. Really, folks on this board would have a heart attack and aneurism over things I've done, or seen done, safely. These critters really aren't that fragile (kids or horses).

Quote Originally Posted by red mares View Post
    I've led one down the road tied to the back of a buggy. , so seeing one tied to a tree, post, wall, etc and later moved from one barn to another, without a trailer, is not a big deal to me. I shared the road with tractor trailers or Harley & my horse - not a BFD. I'll stand by the MYOB. Really, folks on this board would have a heart attack and aneurism over things I've done, or seen done, safely. These critters really aren't that fragile (kids or horses).
    but you would assume somebody driving a buggy knows what to do with a horse.
    Somebody who thinks is is ok for a small person to lead an unknown horse from the back of a truck, I'd wonder.

However, to the MYOB crowd:
    Seems to me like the OP did just what you thought she should.
    WTF is this horse doing tied to a tree outside the gait.
    asks stranger 'can I help you' since barn staff does not bother.
    hears about the plans and says 'good luck'
    goes about her business.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Yeah, red mares, I've really read enough of your posts on this board to know that I disagree with nearly everything that you do and nearly every "philosophy" you have about horses. I think it is a good thing that the two of us have not crossed paths in real life. I hope we never do.

IReally, folks on this board would have a heart attack and aneurism over things I've done, or seen done, safely.
    My grandmother used to say God protects fools and drunks.

Which means some folks are twice blessed.

Yeah, red mares, I've really read enough of your posts on this board to know that I disagree with nearly everything that you do and nearly every "philosophy" you have about horses. I think it is a good thing that the two of us have not crossed paths in real life. I hope we never do.
    Since you disagree, we need to throw her under the jail then.

I don't follow her around as you obviously do, but I hope I won't cross paths with you either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Since you disagree, we need to throw her under the jail then.

I don't follow her around as you obviously do, but I hope I won't cross paths with you either.
    Throw her under the jail? LOL, what? I don't follow her around and actually have blocked her at times because it just makes my brain bleed to read her posts.

And, I guess, sure...now that you mention it, it *would* be fine with me if you and I never meet.

I guess I think that one should consider "normal" for the barn, not what "we" consider normal.

For example, to me, it's not a big deal to tie a horse to a tree or a post. But there are barns I've been at where that would most definitely NOT be normal.

To me, it's not out of the realm of reality to lead a horse from point A to point B via a kid on a tail gate or through the window of a car or a golf cart. But that is totally NOT the case for most folks, nor is it normal for any boarding barn I've been at in the last 10 years. (and I even got yanked OUT of a car by my naughty pony as a kid and mom kept doing it anyway!)

My radar would've pinged in a similar situation. And I doubt any barn worker had to report this "issue". I'd guess the gentleman did as he was directly spoken to by the OP and probably took some offense. The OP doesn't seem as one who would take a lot of care to avoid foot in mouth disease.

Nonetheless, it was a bizarre situation and one that I would hope someone would inquire to the BO about if it arose again.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...