The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I'm a stick my neck out kind of person, so I'm sure I would have said something. I probably would have warned the father and child that he was green too and it could be very dangerous to try to lead him down the road from the back of a truck...where do you live anyway?

But then, once you stick your neck out, you have to accept the consequences. I really don't understand the whole "spy" drama thing, but then I don't do drama.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Why I don't have boarders....and OP..you did nothing wrong..you didn't step over any invisible lines and to actually Pay to Board where a horse is left tied to a tree so a stranger could come and take the horse w/O the Orginal owner..BO or Staff member to see the horse off let alone get something in writing absolving them of any incidence should horse or youngster or truckdriver have an issue once out on the road would be cause for me to pack up and leave right then and there..period w/ no discusssion... this whole thing is way to Bizarre..The Spy aspect is but a speck of worry in light of the mitigating circumstances...

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    maybe you didnt catch it but OP is clearly from UK and terms like "a lot of blood " appear common there.
    Sorry, didn't realize that, location says Florida so I just assumed OP was American. In that case, please disregard my entire comment
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i love this thread...... here we have many folks telling the OP to MYOB - as long as your horses are doing well nothing else matters - and yet - if someone had posted about tying the horse being tied etc the reposes would of been just as the OP responded - and yet here the OP is being told to MYOB - weird)

so i find it odd how morals here on COTH tend to be changeable depending on who is posting.
    I don't know that I would necessarily kept my mouth completely shut but I would not have given any opinions on the horse and it's training or lack there of or of the horse's temperment.

If I wanted to get involved, I would probably tell one of the barn workers the man's plans to make sure they knew what was going on. That way, they could at least look out for what was happening on the BO's property.

I suspect, however, that the people involved with the transfer of the horse's ownership were all aware of how the transfer would be handled.
    Last edited by RockinHorse; Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typos
    Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.

3 members found this post helpful.

I am guessing the spy drama was just the icing on the cake...
    probably not the first time the little songbirds tweeted (pun intended) to the BO that the OP said/did something.
    Previous incidents were probably more benign...

But yeah, I think I would have been talking, too in the situation, after re-reading the original post.
    No way I could have walked past that without saying something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

I don't think there was anything wrong with asking why a horse was tied outside a gate in the parking lot.

However, giving advise to a stranger when it wasn't asked for implies that you A) didn't think the barn owner advised the man of the FREE horse's personality and training, and B) didn't think the man was experienced enough to walk a horse down the road to his house.

So you really walked into the middle of a horse transaction, while you were just trying to be helpful after seeing the horse tied to a tree in the parking lot. But no harm done, it seems...

Just sayin'...

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    I don't think there was anything wrong with asking why a horse was tied outside a gate in the parking lot.

However, giving advise to a stranger when it wasn't asked for implies that you A) didn't think the barn owner advised the man of the FREE horse's personality and training, and B) didn't think the man was experienced enough to walk a horse down the road to his house.

So you were really interfering with a horse transaction, while you were just trying to be helpful. But no harm done, it seems...

Just sayin'...
    hmmm
    small child leading a horse with iffy handling history?
    I think that does warrant a little warning.
    The horse gets loose it's more than just the BOs problem, or the new owners!

And let's not forget, the horse was tied up outside the gate.
    I think we can agree, that's not exactly safe and super weird.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've seen kids lead horses down the road plenty of times and I've seen horses tied to trees near roads plenty of times. It's not how I would do things, but it is not unheard of either.

I probably would have chatted up the new owner just because I tend to say hello to people. But it is always best not to offer any unsolicited advice or opinions.

Horse tied to tree? A bit odd. Kid leading from back of truck? Well, I've seen plenty of horses lead from golf carts to and from turnout so not too concerning. As to the fact that it was a kid doing the leading - again not too concerning. I've known plenty of small kids who could control a horse better than some adults, I was one myself. Sometimes it's the experience not the age of the person.

Quote Originally Posted by SanJacMonument View Post
    I've seen kids lead horses down the road plenty of times and I've seen horses tied to trees near roads plenty of times. It's not how I would do things, but it is not unheard of either.
    But horses with known problems?

Yes, it can go well.
    But it can easily go very wrong.
    Then we will have the other side of the story:
    This woman knew there was something wrong with this horse and did not speak up, now little Joey is hurt.

A horse can mess up a grown-up in an iffy situation. A kid won't stand much of a chance.

In any case, I do think it is unfair to jump on the OP.
    In this case anyhow.

There was reason for concern, the setup less than favorable.

You could take this story and turn it around. Suppose the OP said that she arrived at the barn and saw the BO's horse tied to a tree outside of the gate. She saw a man and he said he owned the horse and was taking him to his house. You shrug your shoulders and walk away, thinking that it is a weird situation, but what the heck. Weird especially since the BO is nowhere to be found.

Man leaves with horse and you get a call from the BO having a fit because you just let a strange man walk away with your imported horse and you never even questioned it? It is very interesting that most of these posters wouldn't have done a thing.

17 members found this post helpful.

Obviously can't comment on past history, though it sounds like there is some.

If I arrived at my barn and saw a horse, known to be for sale/given away, and someone was there with a rig to pick up the horse, I wouldn't think much of it. The fact that the BO/seller wasn't there would give me pause, but I still wouldn't think much of it.

But that's not how it went down from the sounds of the OP. The horse was tied to a tree--not standard for that facility. The man was there with a small boy who was going to lead the horse away from the back of a vehicle--also not standard for this facility/horse. Horse was known to be a little exciteable. No BO in sight. No barn workers assisting. It would ping my radar. I would wonder if BO was aware of what was about to happen on her property--her liability.

I have, in the past, spoken up about things at the barn when it was a clear safety issue--especially when kids were involved. To me, that's the responsible adult thing to do. And if I liked my BO even a little bit, I'd also want to try to prevent an accident that he/she would be liable for.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

5 members found this post helpful.

Ummmm...I'd be much less worried about who is and isn't spying on me and reporting me to the BO and much more worried about keeping my horse in a place where the BO thought that the scenario you described (young, hot horse tied to tree and about to be led down the road by a kid sitting in the back of a truck) was a-okay.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    Right here is where you stepped over the line. Once the man told you it was his horse and he was taking it home, your reply should have been "ok" and you should have turned around and went about your business.
    EXACTLY. The conversation should have gone something like this.

*sees horse tied to tree*
    "What's with the horse tied to the tree?"
    *explanation given for horse tied to tree*
    "Oh."
    *walk away*
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

6 members found this post helpful.

Am I the only one completely confused by this whole thread? Is the question, did the OP do the right thing? Or is it, are there barn "spies?" And by spies I assume you mean nosy tattle-tales, not actual hired, CIA personnel? Or maybe you do, since I feel like I just tripped on acid after reading this...

So, all I have to say is - if this even applies, since I have no clue - if you are talking about or doing something on the BO's property, that you do not want the BO to know about, then DON'T TALK ABOUT IT/DO IT. Period.

Now's where's the theme song to the Twilight Zone when I need it...?
    Last edited by wcporter; Dec. 12, 2012 at 10:29 PM. Reason: sp
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I think what contributes to the drama is the OP sounds disingenuous--the concern is ostensibly all about safety, but the post just drips with disapproval of the people picking up the horse and the transaction in general. It's easy to imagine that when these folks pulled up the driveway and the OP asked "Can I help you?", that it was not a welcoming, genuine greeting. Perhaps it was said with the tone that a high-end fashion boutique owner in Paris might "greet" a homeless person walking in the door. Or saying "good luck" the way you'd say "yeah good luck with that" i.e. that's a stupid idea doomed to fail. Our tone, posture, facial expressions are what people respond to -- not our words.

Bottom line: Your unsolicited opinions are causing other boarders to complain to the BO. I think this is a key distinction: you call it spying--I think you need to understand that these people are COMPLAINING about your behavior. Pretty sure people wouldn't complain if most of your opinions were positive and friendly, so it stands to reason that your input tends to be judgmental and critical. Who knows, maybe this barn really is full of idiot yahoos who can't cross the street without correction from you. Either way, you and this barn are not a good fit. Complaining about the spying culture is pointless-- change your behavior if you want the complaints to stop, or move barns. Try to remember that people at the barn want to enjoy their horses and their horse time.

FWIW I agree that leading a horse along a busy road from the back of a pickup truck is not a safe plan. I'd lead from the ground where you could walk the horse on the grassy shoulder/out of traffic. I might have offered to drive behind, so they had a buffer between horse and zooming cars.

8 members found this post helpful.

Personally, I wonder why someone didn't offer to trailer the horse to its new home? It sounds like the BO wasn't concerned as to how the horse was leaving the property, nor that a trailer wasn't used to transport the horse.

This does sounds like an odd barn to allow horse transactions transpire in this manner and I noticed the OP (on another thread) said there were mean drama girls at this barn too.

Glad no one was hurt or any parked cars damaged. And it sounds like the horse has a chance at a better life.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hpilot View Post
    You could take this story and turn it around. Suppose the OP said that she arrived at the barn and saw the BO's horse tied to a tree outside of the gate. She saw a man and he said he owned the horse and was taking him to his house. You shrug your shoulders and walk away, thinking that it is a weird situation, but what the heck. Weird especially since the BO is nowhere to be found.

Man leaves with horse and you get a call from the BO having a fit because you just let a strange man walk away with your imported horse and you never even questioned it? It is very interesting that most of these posters wouldn't have done a thing.

But OP said that the staff reported OP's conversation back to the BO (post #4), so I assume the OP saw some staff around the barn. If there was concern that some stranger is possibly stealing a horse, talk to the staff. Instead of warning the thief that the horse is a handful (not that I think the scenario you suggested was what was concerning the OP at all - if you think the dude is stealing the animal, you don't start giving him the animal's behavioral history, yanno?).

5 members found this post helpful.

Definatley you stepped over the line by offering advise on the horse (without being asked)! If it were me, I'd of simply enquired if they need some help and then gone inside the barn, found one of the barn workers and let them know that this man needed some help.....or simply asked the barn workers if they knew so and so horse was leaving! "hi, I see so and so horse is leaving today".....then if horse is NOT supposed to be leaving, the barn workers can deal with issue!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    that's not exactly safe and super weird.
    This sooo could be a great siggy!