The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

I still don't understand who the spy is. Wasn't the new owner on the phone with he BO looking for papers when the OP started talking to him? Wouldn't that be how he knew she was involving herself in his business?

Oh, and I don't think people who plan on butchering a horse usually wait for its papers so whoever was worried about that can rest easy.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    How is the fact that the Hispanic man taking the horse was 'rotund' relevant to the situation? .
    How is the fact that he is rotund AND Hispanic relevant?
    Hide your ponies! Its Papi Puerco
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    Oh, and I don't think people who plan on butchering a horse usually wait for its papers so whoever was worried about that can rest easy.
    No no, this goes with the whole "rotund" thing.
    We all know why the man was rotund. As for the papers, this too is related: while some people would use them to thicken the horse stew because of the glue in paper, I personally prefer them shredded and lightly roasted on top of horse steak a la crispy onions. I feel this gives the dish an extra textural dimension, enhancing it

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Coanteen View Post
    No no, this goes with the whole "rotund" thing.
    We all know why the man was rotund. As for the papers, this too is related: while some people would use them to thicken the horse stew because of the glue in paper, I personally prefer them shredded and lightly roasted on top of horse steak a la crispy onions. I feel this gives the dish an extra textural dimension, enhancing it
    Bahahaha!!!!!
    Everyone is running from something. Especially this person I'm chasing.

In reference to your question about spies, I would give you some advice: just go enjoy your horse and let the BO run things. I have tried to be über helpful at barns in the past, thought I was helping, and BO would get angry. As if I thought BO was not capable of running barn as well as I. Sooooo, try not to get into everyone's business and GO ENJOY YOUR HORSE! Lessons learned as we mature. Iam much happier now.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimateshowmom View Post
    In reference to your question about spies, I would give you some advice: just go enjoy your horse and let the BO run things. I have tried to be über helpful at barns in the past, thought I was helping, and BO would get angry. As if I thought BO was not capable of running barn as well as I. Sooooo, try not to get into everyone's business and GO ENJOY YOUR HORSE! Lessons learned as we mature. Iam much happier now.
    This. And most of the time this works well. However, if I see a truely dangerous situation developing I will speak up. If only to say "Are you sure that you want to do whatever?" I don't want to spend my life feeling like a bit of nosieness could have saved someone's harm/life.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lovey1121 View Post
    How is the fact that he is rotund AND Hispanic relevant?
    Hide your ponies! Its Papi Puerco
    Apparently so the OP could both dazzle us with her ability to communicate in Spanish (another detail that's only dubiously relevant) and imply that there's no GOOD reason a Spanish-speaking person in Florida could be acquiring a horse besides those backyard slaughterhouses.

4 members found this post helpful.

This thread has been interesting. I don't think I have ever boarded at a barn with spies. Or maybe I have and just never did anything to warrant their attention? I agree with the others who have said 'talk to the barn help'. Whenever I have seen something out of the ordinary I have always just asked someone who would know the facts. Oh wait, does that make me a spy? If so, do I get a cool secret agent name?

The spying is the BO's staff, and himself. It isn't just me it happens to, but I do resent it bc I see it as meddling in my privacy.
    I'm totally mystified. You think the BO/ the BO's staff sneak around and hide and watch what you do while you're on the BO's property? for what purpose? and one wonders what it is that you do while out in a rather public place that you don't want them to see you doing??? I can't recall ever expecting to have privacy at the barn, and acting accordingly. Well, ok, maybe once or twice I wiped my nose on my sleeve when I thought no one was looking, and we would sometimes change in the tack room and hope for a bit of privacy during that event.
    What do you DO that you're worried about "spies"? the mind boggles.. some secret revolutionary horse-training technique you don't want anyone to see? stealing tack? what?

3 members found this post helpful.

There is a tv show thats name is escaping me...it is about situations created an dfilmed by producers, who videotape unsuspecting people on how they handle the situation.

Honestly, a horse tied to a tree? I would walk over and check on the horse or as I am walking over ask the obvious to whomever was around "Do you know this horse is tied to a tree?" (Duh). If a person walked up to get said horse while I was standing next to the tree.....and I thought it was a dangerous situation, I may caution "Just be careful leading a horse like that..."

Not everyone would and I understand that is just different people (for instance, my husband would never and is a MYOB person). For me, if I did not ask about the horse, I would never stop thinking about the horse. If the horse got hurt, I would be Catholic guilt ridden forever (my own nuerosis).

Barn spies.. I think the trainer or employee has the right to call the BO. Especially if you had inquired about the horse.

I hated tattlers when I had boarders. Drove me nuts. But it comes with the territory. I prefer the ones who only tell you if it is something serious, horse running loose, horse tied to a tree etc. It is hard to draw the line and BOs have to sort through a lot of BS.

OP- personally, I would find a new barn if a person where I boarded my horse would tie a horse to a tree for "someone" to pick up. So many things can go wrong there..... Sounds like the BO did not like the horse, was sick of it and it is almost spiteful behavior, directed at the horse. Odd.
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pennywell Bay View Post
    There is a tv show thats name is escaping me...it is about situations created an dfilmed by producers, who videotape unsuspecting people on how they handle the situation.
    What Would You Do? is the name of the show.

A couple of observations:

1. We have several large trees on our farm - near the barn not by the road but near one of the driveways that runs by the barn and goes down towards the hay barns and back pasture - that have tie rings "installed" on them. I regularly will tie a horse that is drying from a bath or while I'm cleaning a stall or whatever....the horse is tied to a tree but is safe and calm and hanging out happily. OP never said exactly what the tree tying situation was.

2. I think this is a big, hot mess & the OP would be much happier elsewhere.

3. Every time I open this forum this crazy thread shows up in bold faced blue. LMAO

4. OP must not have been on COTH very long or paying attention b/c this is the one place where a reality check about the good, the bad, and the ugly will happen in a New York minute. It's better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.

5. None of us were present to observe this incident. My gut tells me there is so much more to this....

6. Then again, the situation may be much worse than OP describes. This is the horse world, afterall, and MUCH crazier things have happened.

7. The only spy in my barn are the cats, having been paid off in dropped grain by a rude bay mare, who alert to an open feed room door. As such, I am likely not qualified to comment on this thread at all.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    This thread has been interesting. I don't think I have ever boarded at a barn with spies. Or maybe I have and just never did anything to warrant their attention?
    DUH ! You're not supposed to know that they're spies ! That means that they were really good at their job !!

Personally, I would blame the pony. They're always the sneaky little buggers that stir up trouble.

7 members found this post helpful.