The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Suggestions for Field board in Western MA?

I'm unexpectedly searching for field board for a smaller TB mare. I've got a seasonal job out of state and both of us would be happier if she was living outside, with a shelter and blanket as needed. I'm open to anything around Western or Central MA, to keep trailering costs at a minimum.

Any suggestions where to look? I've contacted a few local barns but thought I'd reach out to see if COTH's resources had anything else. TIA

At least in my particular area (Amherst) there are unfortunately not any barns that offer field board that I would want to recommend.

I can recommend several barns that emphasize turnout, even though they may be stalled overnight. What are you looking to spend? Parts of Central MA may be significantly cheaper than Western, at least near any sort of civilization.

Thanks goforagallop! I'm also familiar with the barns in Amherst, and most of them are charging more than I would want and would require stalls with t/o, along with a variety of other factors.

I hadn't been looking around Central Mass just because I'm not familiar with it at all. But having a barn located in the middle of nowhere would be fine - since I'm going to be gone. She's basically going on a break for a few months. I'm not sure what I should be spending until I know what's out there!

Oh, I did think of one! www.drybrookstables.com I know several people who are boarding there and are very happy. The "rough" board is $350, which is just full turnout board. You do pay for the indoor, you could probably find it cheaper somewhere without one, but just tossing it out there!

Thanks! Any other suggestions COTHers?

Check out the barn where I board - Double A Arabians in Somers, CT. Right over the line in CT from East Longmeadow. It's a great place, indoor lighted arena, tack rooms, lots of room for pasture boarded horses (mares separated from geldings), outdoor large ring, miles and miles of trails/fields to ride in. I am on full board there, have been there for over 3 years and I love it. Great people, no drama, BM is very nice and very helpful. The care they take of our horses is exceptional. Two people who work at the barn live on site.

Claudia
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by refresh View Post
    I'm unexpectedly searching for field board for a smaller TB mare. I've got a seasonal job out of state and both of us would be happier if she was living outside, with a shelter and blanket as needed. I'm open to anything around Western or Central MA, to keep trailering costs at a minimum.

Any suggestions where to look? I've contacted a few local barns but thought I'd reach out to see if COTH's resources had anything else. TIA
    You might get better feedback at equinesite.com. Lots of just New England people there

Thanks Chancellor