The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Need help finding a quality Saddle Repair

Ok I need help. Can someone please tell me a decent saddle repair shop. I'm having my billets changed out on my saddle, and I'm sorry I'm being kinda picky. I want it to go to someone who knows what they are doing. I am located in Ohio, but am willing to ship my saddle if it means a good saddler is working on it. I've contact a couple of places and some don't even contact me back. So I'm asking here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloeryder View Post
    Ok I need help. Can someone please tell me a decent saddle repair shop. I'm having my billets changed out on my saddle, and I'm sorry I'm being kinda picky. I want it to go to someone who knows what they are doing. I am located in Ohio, but am willing to ship my saddle if it means a good saddler is working on it. I've contact a couple of places and some don't even contact me back. So I'm asking here.

Smith Worthington in CT. Absolultely wonderful quality work for repairs. I've had them repair my County's and it was a very difficult repair. (dog chewed) Came out looking new.

Yes! Smith Worthington!

www.dutchessbridlesaddle.com

She makes trips to Ohio as well, if you want to include a fitting in with the work up.

Well, let's clarify. Jump saddle or dressage saddle? Will this necessitate dropping the panels or are the billets attached to a nylon plate so they can be swapped out without dropping the panels?

Either way, you have plenty of options. If you prefer not to put it in the mail, Heather Soones-Booher does billet replacements and travels to this area. She is a good saddle fitter with Society of Master Saddlers credentials, including credentials for saddle repair. If you're close to Michigan, Lynda at Classic Saddlery does a nice job with saddle repair. If you're closer to Kentucky, try Clever with Leather in Lexington. If you're closer to Pennsylvania, Schurer Saddlery is excellent and their repairperson has SMS credentials too. http://www.schurersaddlefit.com/

If you want to put it in the mail, you've got tons of options. I like Smith Worthington because their work is excellent and their prices are absurdly reasonable. You could also send it down to Custom in Aiken, SC, Colin Kimball-Davis up in New England, Michael Dainton at Saddler's Row in Illinois, etc. The list goes on and on.

Journeymen in Middleburg are the best.