The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What's the difference between a ration balancer and a good vit/min supplement?

Just what it says; what is the difference between the two? I feed my two mustang mares a ration balancer as they are on local grass hay and my 3 geldings get a good vit/min supplement. All horses are looking and feeling good, so why feed one and not the other? I started the ration balancer on the advice of a horse nutritionist but we've always had good results with the vit/min supps as well. One mare, even in her winter woolies has dapples so must be doing something right.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

About 1300 calories, give or take

Beyond that - you can't possibly get 10gm of lysine in a 1-2oz serving of a v/m supplement, but that's what a RB gives you. Depending on the v/m supplement, you might be getting next to nothing in the way of, say, copper and zinc - for example, Vita Plus only gives you 8mg - or you might get a good amount, as Smart Performance Alf formula gives you 225mg.

Some horses can't take the calories (or the soy) of a ration balancer, but need more nutrition than a v/m provides. Some do just fine on a v/m supp with nutritionally good hay.

1 members found this post helpful.

Protein. Ration balancers provide protein.

A *good* vitamin/min supplement will provide amino acids, which allow your horses to better utilize the proteins in their forage. For an easy keeper, not in hard work and needing to build muscle, on decent forage, that is not growing - this is often enough.

For a growing horse, one in hard work, etc. a ration balancer may be a better choice.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Just saw JBs post - Uckeles v/m supps provide it all but you feed a few scoops LOL
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

yep, when the serving size gets into the 4-6oz range, you can provide it all with very low calories I forgot about them - they and HorseTech are pretty atypical compared to most products like that

Are the Uckele products soy based?

I see no soy in the grass formula, and it takes 8oz to get 6gm lysine.

Protein and essential amino acids, mostly.

These can be found (as others have said) with a little bit of digging in some, but not all, V/M/AA supplements, but you do wind up feeding more than one of those itty bitty scoops.
    Click here before you buy.