The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Niedersuss Symphonie

Thinking about trying one of these. What kinds of backs do these saddles tend to fit best? And how do the trees run? Is a medium really a medium? Trying to fit an appendix horse. Pretty good wither but not as shark fin as some TB's can get. Definitely a curve from front to back. Any advice on these saddles in general, much appreciated.

IME, yes, they tend to fit a curvy back. Every saddlemaker has their own definition of "medium", "wide", etc., so your second question is a toughie. Neidersuss wide saddles used to be considered one of the widest off-the-rack saddles around. However, my Hanno just outgrew his and is now in a wide County Connection. Too bad, as I LOVE my Neidersuss. I will keep it forever, as it'll surely fit another horse and it was so comfortable.

Only thing you can do is try one for size and fit.

I have one for my Andy x QH and in my research, as noted above, they tend to run wide but that may be dated info? It fit my tank, though. My guy isn't a total couch, he has some wither, but really, really broad shoulders and this saddle fits him beautifully and I find it to be super comfortable.

ETA: depending on new/used, the billets are wider than normal billets - 1 1/8" vs. 1". I had a hard time finding a girth to try the saddle with, but once I bought it, just had the billets narrowed. Just an FYI.

I really liked the one I tried, but my broad- and flat-backed mare did not. She takes a medium-wide tree and was fine in a KN medium, but the panel shape did not suit her back. I think they're beautiful saddles with a good price point for anyone who's not going all-out to have a drool-worthy saddle.

And yes, on some the billets are wider than usual.
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

IMO, you need a horse with some tall withers and long withers, plus some muscle behind those in order to suit a KN Symphony. The billet attached to the point of the tree (rather than farther back) will pull the front of the saddle down pretty hard.

When trying one on then, this is one saddle I'd whose fit I'd want to evaluate with it girthed up.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Really? a point billet on a Symphonie? The Symphonie I have has normal center-fire billets -- no point billets. The Hippostars have point billets, I think.

Mine is actually a semi-custom Neisersuss "Hippostar" -- it predates the Hippostar models that Neidersuss makes now. This fellow in Holland used to pick up Neidersuss saddles for clients, do a bit of tweaking with the flocking and such to suit. But even the off-the-rack Symphonies had center-fire billets.