The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any good use for leftover stall mat pieces?

When we put mats in the stalls a few years ago, there were of course leftover pieces. There are some 8'x8" pieces (give or take), some 4' long pieces, some 6x6 squares and some long, thinner strips.

I've been hoarding them thinking there HAS to be something useful to do with them. Now that I've moved them for about the 11th time, it's time to say do or die and I'd really rather not finally toss them then suddenly realize what they'd be awesome for LOL

Anywhere there is a concrete floor they make great anti fatigue mats, you'd have to piece them together though. In the basement/barn for in front of the laundry, on steps. We have a couple of big chunks sitting out on the gravel and park the push mower on them, keeps the weeds down.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Throw them in a wood chipper and make footing? Well maybe not if they have a metal fiber core...
    Route water?
    Put in gate ways
    Cross ties?
    Trailer mats?

There's always craigslist
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

sound absorption mounting for electrical motors... also can be used as an insulator mount depending upon type of mat

Another place is put on latch side of steel gate panels ...takes the clang out of the gate hitting the post

Oh gosh they aren't remotely large enough to put anywhere for footing LOL And not nearly enough to stick in a chipper (if we even had one) to make anything usable.

I DO like the idea of using them to plop something on, getting it off the ground. I don't think we have anything that would make sense for that. Hmmm, I could use them to raise the chickens' water and feed off the ground a bit more

You could use one under the chicken feed pan to make a clean spot to feed/water them. We had some at our hitching rail. For a while I had one hung in our horse trailer where my horse loved to paw and strike the steel trailer when we were stopped anywhere. It protected the trailer and his dumb foot and our ears. Place to put boots somewhere...

Hmm I can't think of much more right now but I don't know that I would throw them away just yet. We left all ours when we moved and I'm pretty bummed about it, I miss them.

I have a decent size piece to go underneath my generator when camping. It fits in my rear tack compartment underneath the generator for storage.

My thin strips I used as borders around gardens to keep the grass back and weeds down. Also used under mowers. If you live in snow area, I've saved some to go under tires for traction. DH also has a piece in the shop over concrete (easier to stand on)
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

A friend used some strips to pad her horses stall door. The doofus would stand there and beat the door with his knee.
    You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

I use them as "doormats" in front of the stalls. Keeps the shoes from wearing away the concrete of the aisle as horses go in and out. Some leftovers were large enough to just use one piece, some of the strips I had to double up to cover more area.

I've seen people put strips of rubber matting under electric fences in areas that are really awkward to mow, to keep the grass from growing. You can also put pieces along the barn/buildings where water drips off the roof, to keep the dripping from eroding the ground. You could use some of the strips to make "anti-cast" strips along the stall walls.

You just know if you throw them out you will immediately have a use for them!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

If you have a slant load trailer w/the tack in back, you can prevent pee and sawdust from getting into the tack area by cutting a 2nd layer to put on top of the existing mat. The extra height helps seal up the back tack.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    I've seen people put strips of rubber matting under electric fences in areas that are really awkward to mow, to keep the grass from growing. You can also put pieces along the barn/buildings where water drips off the roof, to keep the dripping from eroding the ground. You could use some of the strips to make "anti-cast" strips along the stall walls.

You just know if you throw them out you will immediately have a use for them!
    Wow! These are great ideas.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Default I got uses

Got dogs? Cats? I would LOVE to have some stall mat scraps to pad my dogs' crates and beds around the house. I'd love one for my car's cargo area, under floor mats in my kitchen to give me some cushioning on unforgiving floors etc.

Send em to me!

I would kill for some to put just outside my barn for a "wash rack" so they don't stand in a pile of mud/gravel.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default Personalized Christmas Gifts ~ I'll Explain ~

Personalized Christmas Gifts !

Key fobs
    Door Stops
    Hats
    Necklaces
    Dog Toys
    Name Plates
    Book Marks
    Snake Killers
    Coffee Stirrers
    Guns oops NO NO !!! no toy guns !!!
    Diet chews for people
    Chess players for a chess board
    Mini frisbees
    Tootbrush holder
    Iphone protector
    Ear plugs for horses and people ~

AND ON AND ON AND ON ...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ! JB !!!

OH !!! and a color chart for evaluating the
    color & consistency of chicken $hit ! ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

So many great ideas! So many I don't have enough leftovers for, so many I don't have the situation for LOL

Zu Zu I am ROLLING!!

And just for you Zu - when a dog eats enough chicken $h!t, THEIR $h!t looks like chicken $h!t

Default And NOW I can sleep ~

And NOW I can sleep !

Bless you child !

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Zu Zu I am ROLLING!!

And just for you Zu - when a dog eats enough chicken $h!t, THEIR $h!t looks like chicken $h!t
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saultgirl View Post
    areas that are really awkward to mow, to keep the grass from growing. You can also put pieces along the barn/buildings where water drips off the roof, to keep the dripping from eroding the ground.
    This is where ours end up. At the bottom of downspouts to keep rain sliding away. In flower beds over winter to keep down weeds. In corners of buildings where you would need to weed-whack. Under feed/water pans for horses, chickens, cats...