The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thrush, Canker in hooves. Anyone have know cures?

I have a mare who has been turned out 24/7 and hasn't been getting worked for a few months.....no fault of her own, just life has been messy and she is very loved, but hasn't been the priority as far as riding goes. She is fat and on vacation. We pulled her out yesterday and was cleaning her hooves. The more I cleaned the more of her one frog disappeared. I cleaned so much that it even went to the white laminie. She doesn't appear sore at the walk, but was at the jog (before I cleaned her feet--thinking that she had a rock I had immed cleaned her feet. I called the vet, he was at an emergency, through tears i was explaining what I was seeing and sent him some photos right away. He is coming tommorow, but he had me soak foot, pack with Sugardine and pad/wrap and then duct tape. I also had antibiotics and started those and bute, seperated her and put her in a small pen. I also sent photos to my farrier. My vet was thinking agressive thrush---farrier thinks "canckers". But, when on the internet, it doesn't look like cankers and it is just the frog. SO, I want to learn as much as i can about either. So, please share any info you may have. Thank you!

I've had wonderful results with clean-trax. It's a great soak & really works. Leaves you with a clean slate to pack & treat as needed. Good luck. Hope she is better soon.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

thank you, I haven't seen that before.... I'll see if anyone around has it. Thank you, she is a wonderful mare. I'm SICK over this. I was a MESS yesterday. I have never seen anyone like what her hoof looked like and I freaked out. My poor vet. My farrier called me back saying, 'HI, its me, DON'T CRY"! I was a mess.

When my gelding had thrush like that it was a symptom of Cushings. He suffered uncontrollable thrush for several years. A call to the vet might be in order.

http://www.centaurforge.com/CleanTra...uctinfo/10701/

When I got mine I needed expedited shipping so I called. The woman I spoke to was very nice and helped me get the expedited shipping for just a little more than the cost of standard shipping.

It worked wonders.

Default Thank you

Thank you!

After googling Cushings, she doesn't have any other symtoms. She sleeks out to a gorgeous coat, has a tremendous top line and not in work, no pot belly, 8 years old, etc. She had a bit of thrush that my farrier told me about last time he did her, but it was in the summer here in AZ and I treated, but unfortunatly didn't keep an eye on, as her hooves got kinda dry--so with the crazy life, I didin't keep on it. MY FAULT ugh. Anyway, all over it now--and hoping I'm not too late.

1 members found this post helpful.

I had something similar. I soaked and wrapped the foot for a couple weeks. It grew out just fine and healed up no problem. I PANICKED when I saw it.. this is a broodmare who I just get out every few weeks to pick feet, groom etc. She's a healthy 11yo mare, no Cushings, it was just wet. I believe we put her on a course of antibiotics too. Relax, keep it clean, and see what the vet says I ended up wrapping it every 4 days I believe, and putting a Davis soaking boot on top of the wrap. Kept it really clean and dry. When I wrapped the foot I put some Today (or Tomorrow, can't remember, it's mastitis cream) on it, then packed it well with gauze pads and wrapped it up.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Does that mastitis cream work? that is all you packed it with? lol... I have a dog that has mastitis (guessing), she is a rescue pup that had a couple litters that we know of. She isn't used to being handled much, sweet. I will look for that for her too. I put some of that "Vetricin" all over the hoof too, before I did the sugardine treatment. I'll keep you all posted. My vet was thinking along the same lines-he told me to calm down so many times, and that this isn't a death sentence--like I was thinking. horses are amazing at what they can recover from. But lesson learned--going to clean feet a LOT more now!!!!! I had some one tell me to try peroxide....another to spray them like 3x's a month with half water/bleach mixture, to keep things "good". What do you all think of that?
    Thank you Dressage Diva!

That's good news! Wishing you well.

I have had the best luck by doing White Lightening soaks. It fixed a seriously deep sulcus thrush that nothing else touched. It was so bad the miniature could not load the heels and we could not trim them or he would literally stand on his top toes. Because he overloaded the toes he had white line separation. It only took 3 treatments 3 weeks apart and we have been able to lower heels, the separation is grown out, the frog is wider and the heels are spreading. For maintenance I am using the No Thrush powder and it is doing great.

Is it possible that she shed her frog on top of having thrush?

One way or the other...take a deep breath.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    When my gelding had thrush like that it was a symptom of Cushings. He suffered uncontrollable thrush for several years. A call to the vet might be in order.
    Well, it sounds like the OP just hasn't cleaned hooves in a while. Every single one of mine get thrush if their hooves aren't cleaned at least a few times a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Is it possible that she shed her frog on top of having thrush?
    And it may be this too. A combo thrush and benign shedding of frogs has sent me into a quick-lived panic many times.

I use diluted bleach (with water) and treat once a day. Clean out the hoof thoroughly and pour it in, and then try to keep them out of the mud for a while. The trick is to be consistent about it.

Also, if the horse hasn't been trimmed in a while, it can't hurt to get the farrier out to trim; he can cut out some of the nastiness.

I would not use something caustic like peroxide or diluted bleach on hooves, as that can exacerbate the situation. And there is no need, when treatments like chlorhexadine, White Lightning, Oxine, Clean Trax, ACV/TTO, etc. are effective and non-caustic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Mine is prone to thrush as well - and just last week, got a pocket + shedding frog, and basically the whole thing came off! It has done this before - I pick daily, and treat daily - but she will still get pockets (of yeasty nasty stuff) during the wet season.

The frogs have always grown back, and it has never made her lame (or bleed etc). Deep breath! It will most likely be fine!

Mine has a chronic case...the laminae is sometimes exposed through a hole close to his frog caused by thrush. He has had the area debrided multiple times, medicated pads etc. It seems to come and go, regardless of if I treat it or not. He just has this chronic case in the one foot, and will be getting a surgical plate on it to allow daily medication without letting any mud/moisture get trapped in there. Sigh...I feel your pain....but she will be fine

20 Mule Team Borax made into a paste with water, and packed into cleft of the frog has kept my hores free of thrush. I do this 1 or 2 times a week.