The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb LF: Working Student Position

I'm hoping to get some names of barns/riders who often take in working students, might take in a working student, or who members have had good experiences with.
    I religiously look on Yard and Groom and have done some searching through google. Any other ideas for searching are welcome.

I will travel anywhere - although I prefer it to be in a warmer location (California, Florida, NC, SC, etc, etc) because I'm a Canadian trying to escape the snow!

I have experience working at showjumping and dressage barns in Canada, Europe, and New Zealand. I am currently working for a GP dressage rider in NZ. I assist with the breaking in and bringing along of young dressage (and sometimes jumping) horses and re-schooling problem horses.

I like the type of work I do here so I'm most interested in finding a sale/training barn rather than a strictly competition barn. I prefer to work at smaller operations. I'm 26 so I'm not interested anymore in being someone's slave - more like their assistant.

Any ideas would be most appreciated.

PM'ing you

I know that Andrea Leatherman and Buck Davidson have been looking for a working student. They are in Ocala for the winter. You could contact Andrea through her website (her name.com)
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

1 members found this post helpful.

I will be looking in Spring/summer and am a sale/training barn w/ some competion....

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    I will be looking in Spring/summer and am a sale/training barn w/ some competion....
    I have a friend who might be looking for a situation very similar to what you've offered in the past. Is it ok if I direct her to you?
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Don't forget to check the USEA area websites, particularly 2, 3, and 6. Might also be worth checking 1, 4 and 8 because while those are colder areas, some of the trainers spend the bulk of the winter in Aiken or Ocala. http://useventing.com/about/areas
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

OP, are you looking for a true "working student" position or are you looking for a job? Do you expect housing, pay, board, etc- what benefits are you looking for? From your post it seems you do a lot of riding, are you willing to muck, do chores/feeds, teach, etc? Some more details will help give an idea about what sort of opportunities might be right for you.

Cady o daly farm in Virginia is looking for a working student now. They are great people and have wonderful horses
    No Worries!

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Just can't see why people would "dislike" your post, so gave you a thumbs up jbrp!

I believe C Squared Farm generally looks for working students and may be looking for a rider. One of my friends worked for her and it was a very tough job but she got a lot out of it I believe. Definitely not for the faint of heart or lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Equisis View Post
    OP, are you looking for a true "working student" position or are you looking for a job? Do you expect housing, pay, board, etc- what benefits are you looking for? From your post it seems you do a lot of riding, are you willing to muck, do chores/feeds, teach, etc? Some more details will help give an idea about what sort of opportunities might be right for you.
    Either - although more working student. I've had a bunch of jobs where I just ride and muck but it's not the same as actually getting attention from someone. It's not like I need a lesson every day or anything or even designated "lessons" - right now me and my current employer ride together and she just points things out/helps along the way and that format is just fine for me too. I just want to benefit from someone else's expertise (I have my own horses to ride at home so if all I wanted to do was ride I'd just go home and ride them).

Yes, willing to muck and all of that. My current job is more riding simply because the horses all live out in fields and don't need feeding, etc.
    I do prefer smaller and/or private barns. I have worked at a big (50+ horses) showjumping barn where we'd go to week-long competitions and I'm not really into that. More interested in private or training stable.

Phyllis Dawson <teamwindchase.com>

Really excellent, hard-working group, lessons, top notch horses, and VA is lovely in the Spring.

You can try Caroline McClung (Atherholt-Dowd) at Red Fox Hill Eventing in VA-she was looking for a working student.