The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can I Have Some Cheese with My Twenty-something Whine?

I'll start this by acknowledging that I am an incredibly fortunate person. A whole lot has gone right in my life and I'm in a better place than a lot of people are.

However...

I really want to go to a horse show. Being a twenty-something on a self-supported twenty-something budget means no truck, no trailer, no show clothes, no entry fees, no lessons... And every now and then I want to throw a spoiled little princess fit because I MISS HORSE SHOWING!

K, I'm done. Anyone else?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

5 members found this post helpful.

I feel your pain. My solution when I was going through that phase was to start volunteering at shows. Got my fix and met a lot of super people doing it!

2 members found this post helpful.

I feel your pain too. I don't even have time to ride because I'm trying to make enough money to, you know, afford riding. And then I start feeling sorry for myself and feel guilty about that because, really? This is your biggest problem? Could definitely be worse! It's hard having a passion that's so financially and logistically difficult.

1 members found this post helpful.

#firstworldproblems?

I'd like to actually sit on a horse. Or even see one. But for the next year that's only going to happen about 3 times if I'm lucky, because I'm stuck in a place with no car and no public transport that goes where there are horses. I'm stressed out as heck with school/work and I need some horse therapy time.

I was in the same boat. I got lucky in that I go to college in an area where it is very inexpensive to keep horses. Once my mother realized that for me to get a horse off the track and have it for a YEAR would cost the same as a month of keeping my old jumper, we worked something out. I go to local shows with him where I maybe pay $40 to show the whole day. I still miss going to bigger shows and doing the jumpers sometimes, but this is so much more than I thought I would be doing and I am grateful for every minute of it.

Yeah, I was in this place. I do a local circuit now May-September and am finding that I absolutely am LOVING the casual, fun atmosphere. I had more fun this past summer showing than I ever have before. And the cost is so low.
    Friend of bar.ka

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    My solution when I was going through that phase was to start volunteering at shows. Got my fix and met a lot of super people doing it!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I feel your pain too. Got a job right out of undergrad and was making good money could horse as much as made me happy, then decided to further my education and started a pHd program. Now my grad student salary is sad compared to my real world salary so now I'm happy to take 1 lesson week when I can sneak away from my books.

May I suggest grooming at a big show and bringing your horse along?

It has all you desire but lacks the things you don't:

You get to do all of the watching and none of the spending.
    You do get to ride-- but your way and time (so long as it's way early or way late).
    You get to groom/clean you/horse/tack to the nines, but don't have to dress up.
    You work hard but perhaps break-even. Not a bad way to spend a weekend, and it puts you ahead of the paying customers.
    You can learn a lot from watching the pros groom.
    Your horse will learn a lot... and on the cheap.

I did this in college and during my 20s. Thinking back, I liked this better than showing at the shows.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I have a truck and trailer, clothes, etc. and access to some great trainers.

What I don't have is a sound horse to ride. And it's possible said horse will never be sound. (still hopeful though!)

However I am thankful every day that I have an excellent job, health insurance, a place to live, and a wonderful family and friends.

In recent years I've become a glass-half-full person - I always try to be grateful for the things I DO have.

But I do feel your pain. I have been DYING to show!

Can you braid? Maybe you can put a little money in the horse-show kitty that way?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I understand your 20 something whine entirely. (And in fact, posted a slightly different 20 something whine in the Off Course forum just a few minutes ago). I think it is a difficult adjustment to go from being a "horses are my life" junior, whether that is showing or simply being a "barn rat" to entering the adult world in a non-horse related education or career path.

I don't have any particularly helpful advice, I just want you to know that you are not only in indulging in a little 20-something whine every now and then

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

I hear you, except for me it was more that I wanted to RIDE. I took advantage of the time off and found new non horsey activities I enjoyed, but also tried some new types of riding, such as polo! Now I'm just starting to get back into it, as I can afford at half lease, and loving it just as much if not more than I did when I first started.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I completely understand and actually had this conversation with DH yesterday. There are 4 people I grew up riding and showing with and two of those girls are now professional trainers and two are professional riders... When I went to college my parents dropped all "horse support" and I could barely afford a lesson here or there. My friends got to keep their horses through college and were able to take lessons...

Of course my luck changed my junior year when I got a job at Southern Cross Ranch; however, I was showing Childrens and Green Working Hunter as a teenager so going back to just trail riding and working with greenies didn't help my show career any.

That being said, I think if you make proactive and smart decisions in all aspects of your life and not sweat the small stuff everything will work out I'm finally in a career where I can afford to show and take lessons, but 7 years off of serious showing and two shoulder surgeries will kill your Equitation career
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I'm with you! I am lucky enough to have my horse nearby, but at this point can only ride him on weekends. I am hoping that it works out with my budget to show him at some local stuff in the spring/summer. The A shows that I used to do? I'm afraid those have to be put on hold...at least for now.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Donkerbruin View Post
    I'm with you! I am lucky enough to have my horse nearby, but at this point can only ride him on weekends. I am hoping that it works out with my budget to show him at some local stuff in the spring/summer. The A shows that I used to do? I'm afraid those have to be put on hold...at least for now.
    You live in the Triangle Area, right? We really should meet up and have some horsey convo time ....I am sure Jen-s would love to join too!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Default I'm with you!!!

I stopped showing when I was pregnant with my son ( young mom here!) 8 years later I had a young OTTB who I was going to show no matter what because I wanted to show dang it!! I made it happen this summer. Placed a respectable 4th place for year end out of 20+ horses. This is extremely good considering I only rode at shows! One of my students leased him and did the riding at the barn, I got on at shows and tuned him up right before I went into the ring. Could have squeaked out a 2nd or 3rd if I had more saddle time!

I opened my own business last summer. I got tired of having to do things the way everyone else wanted things done and getting shafted in the process....My thought was I will finally have time to ride...not so much.

Next year I MIGHT hit up a few A shows to take my First year horse too....he should have been in the First Years 4-5 years ago....

I miss showing as well! Well, I miss the safety of riding in a ring, since I can actually get work done in one. Right now, all I have access to are trails and fields. Really nice trails and fields, but trying to get the 17 year old red-headed mare back into shape while riding in said field? Not so easy, lol.

I miss show clothes, and getting to see everybody all spiffed up. Hopefully I will get to be back in the show world (at the very least, a real barn, with wash stalls and functioning lights)!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    You live in the Triangle Area, right? We really should meet up and have some horsey convo time ....I am sure Jen-s would love to join too!
    Sounds great, let's make a plan!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio