The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gooey eyes and nasal discharge?

Hi all,

My 11 year old warmblood mare has had that nasty greenish stringy goo in her right eye for about a month. It's not much, I go to the barn once a day and wipe off a medium sized string of it, plus a bit of crust that forms around her eye. It's the same whether she has a fly mask on or not.

We moved to a new facility about two weeks ago and she now has a clear nasal discharge with only a faint hint of white in it. No green/yellow, etc. It's not streaming out, but I notice a bit of it before workouts and then occasionally enough to drip a tiny bit after working (our workouts have been pretty heavy lately)

I moved her from NC to Phoenix, Arizona in mid September, and she has started giving me a couple big coughs in the beginning of our workouts since then. Of course things are pretty dusty out here and the new facility, although amazing, doesn't water their ring as often and is even dustier. Could this be allergies/reaction to dust? Temperature, appetite have all been normal. She's not lethargic, though she is calmer, but I attribute that to a much better living environment than the barn we were at before.

Ideas on how to treat/what to do would be much appreciated! I'm going to have the vet out soon for routine stuff and will ask her then, but in the meantime I'm a nervous mom.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

Green equals infection. I hope you are kidding about this going on for a month.

It's slightly greenish, but still very opaque. Typical "eye boogers" but more than I'm comfortable with, hence my description of nasty green eye goo. When I first noticed it, I asked a vet about it. They said I shouldn't be alarmed, that it's normal considering the drastic climate change she went through and the increase in dust. It hasn't alarmed me since because there have been no subsequent changes in health/behavior, but coupled with a runny nose, it concerns me a bit more, which is why I'm having someone out to look at it (and asking about it here.)

And no, I'm not kidding.
    www.readyforthebigeq.com
    dream it. achieve it. eff the odds.

Brand-spanking new JustWorld International Ambassador!

You could talk to the vet to see if starting her on some Ventipulmin would help her exact case.

dont muck about with eyes and think its a nothing you wouldnt do that with your own so call a vet today

infections likethis and not treated correctly can cause permant lost of vision

do something-- now

and add the snotty nose---------- your mare is unwell so call a vet

today- this is what a resopnsible horse owner would do they would not let there horses suffer unnessacary

eye infections are painful ----------

The mare I got from Indiana and brought to El Paso, had the same thing. I had the vet out, and had her tear ducts flushed. Vet said they were not horribly blocked. Put her on eye antibiotic ointment and keep fly mask on. Vet feels it could be because it is dustier here or allergies. Her eye looks better but still runs at times. She never had green guck...it was more white.

Thanks all,

I'm horribly paranoid and will describe anything with even the slightest tinge of green as a nasty green gooey mess, because I do know green=infection (usually, if not always) and I like to be on the safe side. It definitely is more white/clear than anything. There was one day where it definitely had a greenish tint, and that was the day I originally spoke to vet about it (I am a responsible horse owner, see?)

In any case, vet will be out soon so we can see what to do about it. I'll post an update here, just for the edification of anyone who might be interested.

I am NOT a vet, and do not play one on the internet....so definitely consult yours. With that being said, my gelding had the same problems when his allergies acted up. We are actually going to do the allergy vaccine with him this month.