The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Default Black gunk in/on kitty's pink nose. What can it be?

So my dilute calico has suddenly started getting black crud in her nose and sometimes on it. She's strictly indoors, there've been no food or watering changes, and she's still eating/drinking/playing/pottying normally. She does sound a bit wheezy when she sleeps, but she did that before the black crud showed up. She is also prone to feline acne, and is just getting over a bout of it.

Any ideas?
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Dried blood?

I thought so too, at first, but it's too brownish and smudgy; more the consistency of ear wax; not crumbly like dried blood.

She may be dealing with a little cold. I constantly have to clean my FIV+ boys nose and eyes because he is seemingly always battling something and it is of a similar consistency. Sometimes it gets hard if he gets annoyed with me and doesn't let me wipe for a few days. I wouldn't really worry too much unless it gets worse or starts to bother her.
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Is she sneezing at all?

Nope - completely normal, except her feline acne is flaring a bit. I gave her a shot of Convenia antibiotic and it seems to be helping a bit. Also cleaned her nose and chin with cotton dipped in peroxide. I might just have to wait and see.

Maybe it's as simple as she keeps getting into something? Something very tempting that gets on her nose?

You could very well be right, but I'm damned if I know what it could be. Absolutely nothing has changed in the house, so I can't imagine what she could be getting into.

I once had a cat with an upset stomach. The vet figured she had to have gotten into something, but we couldn't figure out what. He suggested I get on my cat's level and go around the house. Surprising how different everything looked - I found plenty of things my cat could have gotten into, and moved a lot of potentially dangerous things to safer places. Maybe some hands-and-knees time would be beneficial? Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Could just very well be what is scientifically known as "boogers".

My allergic-to-everything kitty I think must have a constantly slightly runny nose, which then picks up every particle of dirt/dust in my apartment and on the patio. When I feel like being an annoying Mom I'll pin her down and clean her nose, and usually get a little flake or two of dark crud. She also snores lightly (yet very lady-like!) off and on, so that also makes me think she's mildly sinus-ey at times. Even if you are OCD about cleaning, there are always dust bunnies lurking at a cat's level. If she's acting fine in all other aspects, I would suspect it may just be a dirty nose.

Maybe its a pink nosed kitty thing. My dilute calico, Zoey, has "kitty boogers" too. As a kitten she had a bad respiratory infection so I sometimes wonder if she still has some issues from that. But, our newest kitty, Little Cat, an orange and white kitty, has kitty boogers too and he has never been sick. The three black nosed kitties do not have boogers.