The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ocala Training Course

I'm hoping to move up to Training with my horse in Ocala in January, but I would like to hear some opinions about the XC course.

He's a super honest jumper and I'll be spending 3 weeks prepping with Bruce before hand, but I'd still love opinions.

I've always found Ocala pretty straight-forward. There's very little natural terrain change--it's a flat piece of property. There are some good galloping fences; certainly up and down banks, a baby coffin that rides well, the water is set up nicely and rides well. Really I would consider it a good place to move up as you're not going to get caught out by anything stupid or trappy, and the footing is sand so really good no matter what the conditions.

Pretty much all the excerices you will work on with Bruce will make T at the HP a go! There are some new fences at the HP and they have used the bit of terrain that is there to make some good questions plus the footing is much better than last year!

Last year the event in Jan at the horse park had pretty easy courses IMO at T and below (I didnt see the Prelim). Like others have said it is flat, good gallop fences, might include the bank, a mini coffin or half coffin, and the water is usually easy.

Good move up IMO. I moved up there and it was cake.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

There were a couple of big wide tables and an optional corner at the one in October. Lots of open galloping jumps.

I'm super excited!

Thanks for the thoughts!