The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What a beautiful dog! My condolences on your loss. And don't worry that you took "too long" to make that call - it's the worst call we have to make, and we can't make it instantly. The important thing was you got him into the vet so quickly.

I cannot thank you enough for the kind words. I managed to remember/notice last night that today was my lab Maggie's second birthday.

As a little bit of a backstory we looked for a lab a couple years ago so that my 4 yr old mutt wouldn't be "lost" when Crow died. Tazzie loved Crow but was making him run too much and we saw a level of attachment that concerned us. John had lost his beloved lab "Kaley" so we went looking for a lab and were blessed with Maggie.

At the time I promised Maggie's former owners that she would always have 1.) health insurance 2.) a warm bed in the house 3.) a coat in bad weather and 4.)birthday parties every year.

So I managed to rally myself and go out and pick up some cupcakes and gifts. The party must go on and the promises must be kept.

Tonight we celebrated with bouncy happy girls and lots of pics/video of Maggie enjoying her birthday. And Taz is not sad. She loves her sister Maggie and I can see that life does go on. And how appropriate that we celebrate a life's beginning within 24 hours of mourning the end of a life. Life truly does go on and my girls are reminding me that happiness is just a squeaky toy away.

Pics: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&notif_t=like

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=R0t3hhksAKE

Many Thanks to everyone.

~Emily
    Last edited by Xctrygirl; Dec. 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM. Reason: I can't count.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I am truly sorry... You did the right thing even though it probably does not feel like it. We had to put our old girl down a couple months ago, and I still get a bit choked up when I think about her. It sure is not easy even when it is the best thing to do for your best friend...

Our other two dogs seemed to understand that she was going downhill, and when she did not come back from the vet, it was like nothing happened to them. They were their same goofy selves even though we were all kinds of messed up.

Life does go on, and what a cute party for your girl! Many hugs.

So very sorry for the loss of Scarecrow. He was obviously much loved and had an idyllic life with your family. Sounds like you lost him to hemangiosarcoma, is that right? I co-owned a dog who developed it and it was so dreadfully quick from diagnosis to being gone. There seems to be so much more of it in the past few years. So good of you to honor your promise to the people you got your lab from and have her birthday party even though you were on automatic pilot because of the too recent loss of Scarecrow. Hoping you can take comfort in knowing you gave him the best life a dog could hope for.

I am so sorry Em... With the heartaches comes the joy, and the birthday parties that keep us going. Hugs.

I'm so sorry to hear it, and glad he didn't suffer. You did a good thing for Crow.

StG

I am so sorry for your loss, you did the right thing.

Big hugs. You know you did the right thing and don't worry about the 3 hours. Scarecrow might have been uncomfortable, but not in pain, and you needed some time to come to grips. In the end you were there for him and THAT is what counts.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flurry84 View Post
    So very sorry for the loss of Scarecrow. He was obviously much loved and had an idyllic life with your family. Sounds like you lost him to hemangiosarcoma, is that right? I co-owned a dog who developed it and it was so dreadfully quick from diagnosis to being gone. There seems to be so much more of it in the past few years. So good of you to honor your promise to the people you got your lab from and have her birthday party even though you were on automatic pilot because of the too recent loss of Scarecrow. Hoping you can take comfort in knowing you gave him the best life a dog could hope for.
    Yes... That is what they think it was. I have read a lot about it online and the other owners are definitely in the same boat I am in. Shock and sorrow and just trying to survive the suddenness.

I made promises to Leslie and she loves getting all the updates on Maggie that we share on Facebook. It wasn't a question really. It did make me feel better and right now Taz is on my lap. I think she is figuring it out and needing a bit more attention. Which I am happy to give her.

Crow was a great dog. And as others have said, so many others don't get the life I give them. So I am glad we survived together and when it's my time (hopefully a LONG time from now) I will try to look forward to reuniting with those who have loved me unconditionally. And in return I will lavish them with love....and dog toys.

Emily
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

Just now saw this thread. Hugs to you. You did the right thing.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'm so sorry. ):

I am so sorry for your loss and my critters Otto and Moxie join me.

I kept sticking on your comment that you were ashamed that it took you three hours to make a decision.

Please don't be ashamed. Thinking long and hard was absolutely the right thing to do.

No doubt you chose the right path, but so often it is presumptuous of us as the earthly custodians of those critters who choose and come to live with us that we can make life and death decisions for them as if we truly owned them like a loaf of bread or a toaster, rather than being their life guardians and advocates and caretakers.

Counting insurance premiums and meds, but not the gene-banking with Viagen, I've spent a net $15,000 on my Siamese Otto's veterinary care, and I'd do it again if that could extend his life with quality such as it has now, for any meaningful length of time.

Otto and I have a deal. I promised him that I would never make any move that would truncate his natural lifetime unless and until he explained convincingly to me that he felt he wanted and needed to go. (Which he could do.)

So I understand your agony and the difficulty of your decision. Please don't beat yourself up for being sure you were doing what was the right thing for Scarecrow and for taking your time about it.

What I don't get are those who ignore the loving and beloved critter on the table, do a coarse cost-benefit analysis when those costs do not even vaguely represent a decision between paying the bill and having food on the table, but coldly just pull the trigger.

If there were a canine bar before which you were summoned to explain, having heard your explanation the dogs would all raise their paws to ratify the heartfelt choice you made.
    If I knew what I were doing, why would I take lessons?

"Things should be as simple as possible,
    but no simpler." - Einstein

1 members found this post helpful.

Im so sorry for your loss.

The thing is, without a biopsy you dont know 100% what you are dealing with. This is why its so hard to explain to pet owners why there are only 2 decisions, euthanasia or surgery. In most cases of hemoabdomens the cause is a hemangiosarcoma in the spleen or liver, a horrible cancer that even with surgery an followup treatments has an average survival of 3-12 months.

I think either choice is totally appropriate, with working at an emerg and referral practice we see these all. the. time. Its never easy, and its such a shocker to owners as their pets were literally fine a few hours before.

I have seen some dogs do very well, and recover from their surgery with no ill effects and go onto live another great year. I have also seen patients who just do not recover well and the owners have spent thousands of dollars and end up euthanizing their dogs anyway. I have also seen the rare case where histopathology was sent away, and the ruptured tumor was non cancerous - unfortunatley, this rarely ever happens.

I have an older lab, and while I am not anti-treatment, I am realistic and to be completely honest with you, would have likely made the same decision you did. Until you are in that situation though, you can't say for sure, and making that decision for your dog was clearly not an easy one. Coming from someone who sees these 10-20 times per month, I can guarantee you that you made a very wise and selfless decision for Crow.

Again, I am so sorry for your loss. The good ones never seem to stick around long enough.

So sorry, and ((HUGS)). It sucks. It is funny though, how our remaining animals seem to basically think, "You seem sad. Throw the ball! Let's go for a walk! It'll cheer you up!" Ah, to be a dog.

I don't think you have any reason to feel bad about waiting 3 hours to make a decision. It's a perfectly reasonable amount of time. Here's to many more years of happiness with your animals.

Hopefully once your pain starts to ease you will take comfort in his being ok up until the time he wasn't ok anymore and then it was time. I am sure the shock makes it all that harder but it's easier on the animal. Godspeed.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm so very sorry. How heartbreaking. As others have said, you absolutely did the right thing. It never does get easier. You fulfilled your responsibility to end his suffering when the suffering came.

The photos you linked are beautiful. What a long and happy life you gave him.

So Sorry, and it's ok to still be crying. I cried for weeks when my old girl went
    You did the right thing, and he certainly looked happy in his photos!

Sorry for your loss Emily. Thank you for sharing your photos. Looks like he was a well-loved, playful dog. I especially like the one of him chasing the ball mid air with his mouth wide open!
    (((HUGS)))
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

So very sorry, Emily. What a gorgeous, playful, loved dog he was! And I loved the video of Maggie's birthday party...her jump/whine/bounce makes me smile!

Hugs to you...and it's okay to still be crying. It simply shows how deeply those paw prints go in your heart.

Sorry for your loss of your beloved 'Crow. You did the right thing. The 3 hours you thought about it were just a drop in the bucket of his time with you. Bless you for letting him go. It's a gift you gave him rather than prolong his suffering.