The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ohhhh this sucks... My old guy was sent over the bridge last night.

I have shared the good and bad for the last 12 years on here.

Last day we noticed "Scarecrow" had suddenly slowed down. We thought it may have just been his rabies shot that he got in his butt, he's 12 years old and have a notoriously sore hind end. So when he seemed a little more crotchety I gave him a half of deramaxx and waited to see if it would improve things.

By evening time he didn't look better and his tummy looked a little distended. So off we went to the 24 hr clinic. (Same clinic that is our regular clinic)

Well the news was awful... His abdomen was filled with blood and they suspected a cancerous tumor on his spleen had ruptured.

The prospects for surgery were there, but for the $5000 expense you would maybe get another 6 months. Removal of the spleen would be done but if it was a cancerous tumor that had metatisized (sp?) the chances were heavy that the other organs would have already been compromised.

At 12 years old there really was only one option. I am ashamed to say it took me a full 3+ hours to agree to doing what was needed.

So my beloved Scarecrow is gone and I am still crying today. Mind you I have 2 more dogs and 2 more horses. And since this was only my second time putting down an animal I am dreading going through this ever again. But then I know I wouldn't trade the day to day love and life I have with all of them.

I just wanted to share. He was a great dog and lived a long life for a Golden/Lab cross. He was 84 in people years... so I don't know why I am still crying. But I am.

~Emily

Link to pics: http://s103.beta.photobucket.com/use...ow%202000-2012
    "Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something is more important than fear. The brave may not live forever but the cautious do not live at all." ~2001 The Princess Diaries

I'm so sorry! It's hard but you handled it well and did right by him.

I am so sorry. You did what was best. He was a beautiful dog. I know how much it hurts.

I'm so sorry. I doesn't matter how many you lose, it never gets better. Godspeed Scarecrow.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

So sorry Emily, but you did the right thing. Surgery would have left him miserable and given him little time to enjoy post-recovery.

Emily - you totally made the right decision. My heart is breaking for you right now.

I'm sorry, Emily. It's hard to make the right decision, sometimes. I know you hurt, and wish I could take some of the pain away.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Hugs to you.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

What a beautiful dog! I am so sorry.. {Hugs} to you. May your soul begin to heal soon from your loss
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Hugs to you Emily, RIP Scarecrow
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Hugs. I'm so sorry
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

So sorry that you lost your wonderful dog. We had the same situation with a slightly younger dog that we'd had all her life. She was whisked into surgery without any discussion of most likely this's. I was so upset when the biopsy came back positive on the removed spleen. My girl got two more months only. Early one morning I heard her collapse onto the floor after experiencing gradual weakening in the previous days. She wagged her tail when I got to her, but she couldn't get up. I could barely lift her into the truck. When I got to the vets' and she started to examine her, I said she's had enough. Please go ahead and end it.

You so did the right thing.

So sorry for your loss. It is never an easy descision and you can never be ready. Think of all the good times and the gift you gave him at the end.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Emily, you did the right thing. Your pup was very lovely, and I hope you are comforted by good memories of happy times with him. Good job getting him to the clinic sooner rather than later. Many folks would delay a visit like that.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

So very sorry for your loss. Hugs to you

So sorry for your loss. You absolutely did the right thing. That particular type of cancer gives not early signs. They appear fine until they dont, which is when that blood vessel ruptures and they bleed out. So don't beat yourself up. You did what was best, and he had a good life. That is so much more than lots of animals ever get.

I am sorry for you loss, jingles for your heart.

When the time is so close to the end, better too early than after they are in a very severe crisis.

So sorry.

My condolences. It is so hard to make that final decision, but it is truly the last gift you can give a beloved pet. Godspeed Scarecrow.

I am so sorry. He reminds me of my Big Fuzzy Dog, that we lost at Thanksgiving. It is so hard.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

1 members found this post helpful.