The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default trailers

what would be an inexpensive, lightweight trailer?

2 horse, no frills

thanks

Lots of options, best to do a search here for "2h" or something similar, since that's the shorthand most of us use. Inexpensive and lightweight are both pretty subjective, since your idea and my idea of the former may differ, and the latter really depends on your hauling vehicle.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

If you're in a warm climate, look at the 2h bumper pull stock combos. Equi-Spirit makes one, so does Gore, Exiss, etc.

well, i'm in Pa, so that's sorta warm (seems to be getting wrmer).thanks, i'll check those out

Kingston. I bought mine new 8.5 years ago and it still looks new. People ask me all the time about it. They hold their value and last forever. They have plenty of basic 2-horse no frill trailers to choose from.

"When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/grd/3346380378.html

http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/grd/3410345484.html

Rice horse trailers are European and much like the Brenderups. They can be pulled behind a Station Wagon or SUV. My friend had a Rice and I loved the front unload ramp which made unloading so easy. I have a Brenderup and I love it but they are much more expensive than the Rice trailers because there is more of a cult following and demand for them.

If you do your homework and are patient and have time to search the online classifieds and CL everyday, you can get almost any brand trailer for a decent price. I found a 5yo Collin-Arndt in nowhere VA for 4K, and sold it later in PA for 6k when I upgraded. I have also found friends good deals on Jamcos, Kingstons, Cotners, and Trail-ets. Personally, I'd stay away from the Valley brand, as they do not seem to hold up well at all. I think the Adam trailers are the best value for the money if you are buying new.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

Rice horse trailers are European and much like the Brenderups. They can be pulled behind a Station Wagon or SUV. My friend had a Rice and I loved the front unload ramp which made unloading so easy. I have a Brenderup and I love it but they are much more expensive than the Rice trailers because there is more of a cult following and demand for them.
    Wow! Those are pricey! I have a 1984 Rice, without the front ramp. Paid $800 for it 4 years ago. Love it! Pulls like it isn't even there. I have put a lot into it, but it is a fabulous little trailer. I saw a Rice for sale in North Carolina maybe(?) for like $5,000. Maybe I should sell mine!

Check this one out - if I didn't need a bigger trailer, I'd go for this one, it's 10 years younger than my Rice:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/grd/3453448700.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trailer.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	37321I have a Featherlite 9405, small two-horse. It's tall, but a little narrower than a regular, full sized two-horse. It can hold smaller horses, or one big one with the divider removed. It's 1800 pounds and has a low tongue weight. I love it! It's easy to pull, airy looking inside, and stays cool even on the hottest days. My horse goes to sleep in it, so I guess it rides pretty nice too.
    You are what you dare.

well thanks,all.......i wasn't even aware of rice brand, but the brenderups really caught my eye, so rice looks good to me......especially since i will be towing with a ford flex,4500 towing capacity..............i will only be towing VERY locally, and it will most often be used for hauling for my farmers market booth........maybe even BE the farmers market booth, dunno.........

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

trialers in england uk come in various sizes
    this one is middle range from ponies up to 16-2 h so more than likely a europa
    and the weight is around 750kg the roof hieght is 7ft 6in

bigger trialers by rice and others like ifor williams to take bigger horses have an extra panal for length and also 8ft roof space

make sure your vechile is the correct weight to tow a loaded horse trialer

you can go here for information
    www.ricetrailers.co.uk/
    www.iforwilliams.co.uk

and for safety reasons please read this advice on correct weight for towing horse trailers
    http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...nS4SHNYwrre1vg

ps trialer and 4x4 are pretty common here in uk
    but will say if your birthday is before 1997 then you need to past a trailer test here
    like wise for self drive horseboxes over 3.5ton

Seriously, a Ford Flex for towing a horse trailer??? I love that vehicle and when I win the lottery, I'll be buying one with all the bells and whistles like the 3 sunroofs, backup camera, and refrigerator. But I would never consider pulling
    a horse trailer with it.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am loving my Eclipse! It's all-aluminum, and I got the compact 2 horse with no dressing room. The stalls are actually bigger than in a lumbering old Kingston, and the height is more than big enough for a WB! See Eclipse Aluminum Trailers on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by BasqueMom View Post
    Seriously, a Ford Flex for towing a horse trailer??? I love that vehicle and when I win the lottery, I'll be buying one with all the bells and whistles like the 3 sunroofs, backup camera, and refrigerator. But I would never consider pulling
    a horse trailer with it.
    That does seem crazy but I looked up the specs and its wheelbase is only an inch shorter than my Expedition!! Very surprised by that. I would worry about the transmission but I wonder if the option to drive it in a manual transmission mode makes it easier on it when towing?
    \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

I would tow my brenderup with a flex so I don't think a rice trailer would be that much different. 4corners - you got a GREAT deal on your rice. I tow with a 6 cyl. Trailblazer which would be similar to the ford flex. Personally, I wouldn't tow any steel trailer with my truck and I would have to look at the overall weight of aluminum trailers carefully. It hauls my brenderup just fine and I'm very happy with the combo.

Have you looked at the price on the Brenderup yet? You could buy a great truck AND trailer for that. Of course, asking "what is a good 2H trailer" is kind of like asking "what shoes should I buy."

What is your budget? What is your two vehicle? Where do you live? Have you educated yourself on towing and weights and the basic requirements to tow live weight? Are you aware that lighter does not always mean better? Are you aware that often, for aluminum to be as strong as steel, you must use much more material, making the weight difference negligible? Are you aware there are many different grades of aluminum?

OCD person needs. moar. info.

I found an older Brenderup for a decent price. If it's in good shape, I'd be all over this:

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/3487669011.html

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
    I am loving my Eclipse! It's all-aluminum, and I got the compact 2 horse with no dressing room. The stalls are actually bigger than in a lumbering old Kingston, and the height is more than big enough for a WB! See Eclipse Aluminum Trailers on Google.
    My Eclipse trailer will arrive tomorrow or Friday depending on weather....can't wait to see it. I got the 2 horse straight load with side unload ramp
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.