The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    If it's allllllllllll about the sooooooooooooooffffffftshell fabric... how come the hunter princesses weren't coco for coco puffs for the Kerrits version that came out a few years ago and caused basically no splash at all? Oh that's right, it cost under $100 and didn't come from Iiiitttaalllyy!
    Or, rather, because they didn't have a good marketing team behind it to promote it. I personally had no clue Kerrits was making a soft-shell jacket. If it looks nice enough and costs ~$100, sign me up!

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Or, rather, because they didn't have a good marketing team behind it to promote it. I personally had no clue Kerrits was making a soft-shell jacket. If it looks nice enough and costs ~$100, sign me up!
    It's not blingtastic or oddly colored or Italian but it's soft shell and it's a decent basic jacket at a fair price (it was under $100 when it came out, IIRC and now it's $109) if you want a softshell. Again, not my favorite look but I did buy one when we had them at Devon and it's a good jacket for a misty day.

http://www.kerrits.com/Equestrian-Ap...et-22p2479.htm

and doesn't our favorite super stylish French rider favor the zip style? Pénélope Leprevost? (who might be, in my opinion, the only one who REALLY looks good in this type of jacket).
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

It's not blingtastic or oddly colored or Italian but it's soft shell and it's a decent basic jacket at a fair price (it was under $100 when it came out, IIRC and now it's $109) if you want a softshell. Again, not my favorite look but I did buy one when we had them at Devon and it's a good jacket for a misty day.

and doesn't our favorite super stylish French rider favor the zip style? Pénélope Leprevost? (who might be, in my opinion, the only one who REALLY looks good in this type of jacket).
    I love Pénélope, but would not dare to wear a zip-up coat in the ring!!

Quote Originally Posted by Troispony View Post
    I saw a beautiful red soft shell coat at the Dover in Libertyville, IL last month. I am honestly surprised that Dover carries them! I mean, even if you are on the USET and just happen to be at the Dover in the middle of IL, don't have a specific coat/style that the team all wears so they match?
    I actually saw this coat there back in early May, and was going to bring it up as well. Thought it was odd, but it caught my eye right away when I walked in.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Not ALL trends are about prestige/cost... but I think this one is

If it's allllllllllll about the sooooooooooooooffffffftshell fabric... how come the hunter princesses weren't coco for coco puffs for the Kerrits version that came out a few years ago and caused basically no splash at all? Oh that's right, it cost under $100 and didn't come from Iiiitttaalllyy!
    Actually, I really liked it- as a blazer. I don't care for the way it zips. I could get over it if it didn't zip from the bottom, but I can't imagine it hangs well.

I think change is good, as far as technical fabrics go. This is a sport and we should start dressing like one. But the cut of those coats has got to go. It's unflattering, and those wearing them should look in the mirror before thinking otherwise... Ditto the hot pink.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

To be fair, I don't love it either.... But it's no less ugly than those animos and practically has one less digit on the price!
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.

This is true. If you weigh more than 100 pounds, you look like you've been stuffed into a sausage casing. Ask me how I know.

I have seen several people looking really good in animo jackets. Yes you have to have the right body type but that stands true for anything

RJ Classics also makes a version that is VERY TRADITIONAL (buttons) and actually cut far better (less sausage casing-y) but, you know, since it's not encrusted with crystals, hot pink, imported from a snazzy country, or SPENDY.... no one's talking about it...

http://www.thecollectiononlinestore.com/lcoatd8553.html

and they have one that's a little more jumpery and much cheaper too...

http://www.thecollectiononlinestore....atbelmont.html
    ~Veronica

This summer I tried on Animo jackets at the Animo tent and the saleslady insisted that a size that was plainly two sizes too small was the correct size for me. I felt exactly like a sausage in a sausage casing as ThaRidge describes. You could see the wrinkles in my shirt underneath and even the strap of my bra it was so tight! I was thinking they should team up with Spanx for matching riding shirts if this is how they think riding jackets should fit. When I put on a correctly sized jacket it looked very normal and nice. So I think part of the problem isn't how the jacket is cut, but rather that their salespeople are encouraging shoppers to buy incorrectly sized jackets. I think it is VERY important to not trust salespeople over your own judgement--they just want to make a sale.

I'm not sure who is buying the blinged out jackets, but sometimes companies make "attention getting" products that they don't expect to be big sellers but that bring attention to their products. It may be that they are hoping that some of their jackets will end up as fashionable blazers rather than be used in the show ring...that would certainly expand their market.

Animo is a marketing machine where RJ Classics is not. Look at their Facebook page. It seems like European riders like cutting edge fashion even in their riding attire. The big show jumping events have large audiences. Who doesn't want to wear the same attire as their show jumping idols? Here is a list of Animo's sponsored riders from their Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5074573&type=1

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I really like the RJ coat. I don't understand the fad for the shorter length though (as in the jumper coat.)
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I have the RJ hunter softshell coat and I like it, but I do feel like they're a tighter fit than a normal coat. I actually don't notice that much of a difference in the temperature I feel in softshell vs normal coats.
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

I like the hand of the RJ Classics fabric better than the Animo. It feels slightly thicker and has a better drape. The Animo fabric not only looks super tight and thin but seems to get wrinkly almost immediately and looks sort of odd after a certain number of washings. I don't really care for the softshell bandwagon myself but I have seen the RJs in person and I think they are a way to do the fabric without looking like you slept in your coat or decided to wear bodypaint instead.
    ~Veronica

....or decided to wear bodypaint instead.
    Perhaps they are trying to match the current trend towards painted on boots?

Some of the more ornate jackets would look very nice- on a ringmaster at the circus.

1 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if what I saw someone wearing a few years ago at a local schooling show was the Kerrit's one? The person was a trainer and I remember thinking, "why isn't she wearing a hunt coat? That isn't setting a good example for her students." It was a little on the short side. I think it was just some kind of zip up jacket thing she happened to have and thought would be fun to show in for whatever reason.

Another cheaper softshell is the Equine Couture Raleigh If you search you can probably find it for less than $100, I did.

Pics of the coat in action. I also learned that it looks mostly normal if you discover you're missing the top button on the way to stadium (I'm an eventer these days.)

DT, love your horses!!!
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by LuLuT View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Pretty unanimous consensus that she shouldn't wear the jacket Silly me for not giving it more thought at the time. Jacket can't be returned, I am a bit peeved that the shop did not point out the convention to me, but Buyer Beware...I guess I will have to try to find an international rider to take it off my hands, anyone have Reed Kessler's number?
    Did you sell it on? I am in NZ and anyone can wear a red jacket, many do. However since my 13 yo has ridden for NZ twice we would be OK to wear it! ....now to convince her! Kids this season have had the bright blue and bright pink amongst other normal colours.

I know this forum message is old.....but thought you may still have the jacket.