The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Maybe see if you can convince someone to remake Horse in the Gray Flannel suit and get your daughter cast ??!!?? The child in that movie showed up at her first horse show in a red coat.

All joking aside, no, she shouldn't wear a red coat because she hasn't earned it. Sorry!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

As many others have said, she absolutely should not wear the coat. You have to earn a red coat.

It seems like most of my riding barbies came with pink riding clothes, and her freakishly long, disproportionate legs made it really difficult to find a horse that she fit. I tried her on many a breyer as well as her own horses with their flowing barbie hair manes and tails .

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic. I also agree that the red coat is inappropriate. Any chance the tack shop will do an exchange?

My breyer horse rider had a red jacket, complete with the US team logo on it and white breeches.. Only problem was her helmet wasn't ATSM approved.. Just a plain old velvet hunt cap.

She wasn't a great rider though.. I enjoyed having my Milton byrer buck her off and trample her on a regular basis.
    Last edited by AlterHalter123; Dec. 10, 2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: spelling

25 members found this post helpful.

Can you sell it on ebay?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Try posting it on Ebay (internationally). I think standards are much more relaxed across the pond, you see the young "child" coats accepted in MANY a bright colour over there. At least that way you may have a chance of recouping some of the costs. Sorry for your mistake… I know the feeling! Although it seems we are starting to see more daring colour in the jumper rings these days in the North American Grand Prix circuit (i.e Lilac, Dark Purple, Orange, Burgundy)

5 members found this post helpful.

OP, I agree that the shop that sold you the coat really should have mentioned something. It has been my experience that shop owners/salespeople cannot necessarily be trusted... I was shopping for a new jacket this summer and one shop-lady told me flat out that a very "fashion forward" jacket I tried on would be perfect for the hunters. Umm...no!

It is a shame that you did not know then what you know now; cheer up, Kathy Kusner went to her first show wearing green breeches
    Last edited by Carol Ames; Dec. 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typos
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Quote Originally Posted by browna View Post
    Try posting it on Ebay (internationally). I think standards are much more relaxed across the pond, you see the young "child" coats accepted in MANY a bright colour over there. At least that way you may have a chance of recouping some of the costs. Sorry for your mistakeā€¦ I know the feeling! Although it seems we are starting to see more daring colour in the jumper rings these days in the North American Grand Prix circuit (i.e Lilac, Dark Purple, Orange, Burgundy)
    It is less strict overseas....at least in South America. Even though you have to at least jumped GP to "earn" the red coat, it's not specified in the rule books. It's just a matter of social convention, to separate the boys from the men, so to speak... Posting it on international Ebay is a great idea. I bought my green Animo for a steal from a UK dealer (and I suspect you might have, too?)

That being said, I am a coat hoarder, and even though I just bought a dark red soft-shell, I might be interested in yours...what size is it (italian)?
    Over what hill? Where? When? I don\'t remember any hill....

www.freewebs.com/caballerizadelviso

Daughter is 13? Unless she is rather mature for her age, I wouldn't think there would even be red /scarlet jacket in her size - It's not like you open up SmartPak or Dover and see a red jacket as a color option - or am I/we missing something here?

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    Daughter is 13? Unless she is rather mature for her age, I wouldn't think there would even be red /scarlet jacket in her size - It's not like you open up SmartPak or Dover and see a red jacket as a color option - or am I/we missing something here?
    They're out there, although it seems like they're mostly sold in Australia and the UK. I went seeking a picture of one to see if it was a red-red or a burgundy color.

I agree with the trying to resell internationally.

It's an Animo coat. They're, um, very non-traditional and come in all sorts of off-the-wall colors/styles for adults and children. I think I saw a PINK one in kids sizes!
    ~Veronica

Hmm.

Even if you are with a hunt, you have to be a staff member to wear one. BTW, most hunts have come out of the stone age and are now unisex in that allowance, as is the GPx ring for riders who have represented the USA or one of the other countries that uses scarlet coats for their team.

What tack shop sold you a red jacket? What tack shop even bothered to stock one? Take it back and swap it for an appropriate color.

Readers, be consoled by the fact that if this mom can afford an Animo jacket for her daughter on top of all those high profile clinicians, it's really likely that they can afford to let it hang in the closet, unused. Whoops. Live and learn

Oh dear, 7 out of 8 readers rate my post as "bad" -God forbid one should point out an instance where someone has made more use of money than sense...
    Last edited by JustJump; Dec. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    It's an Animo coat. They're, um, very non-traditional and come in all sorts of off-the-wall colors/styles for adults and children. I think I saw a PINK one in kids sizes!
    Many of the coats appear to be marketed more as fashion items (high fashion) with model wearing heels and white breeches that don't appear high function. They are really pretty cool....I'd wear that sucker out and just buy another coat for showing.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    Many of the coats appear to be marketed more as fashion items (high fashion) with model wearing heels and white breeches that don't appear high function. They are really pretty cool....I'd wear that sucker out and just buy another coat for showing.
    I don't ever profess to know WHAT the Animo people are thinking (that product line with the high heels was advertised in COTH and I think the idea was that they were hoping people would buy them for riding ecven if they were shown in a "high fashion" way), but sure-- you could wear the jacket as street clothes if you wanted. Not sure I'd pay $500+ for a street clothes blazer... but why not if you already own it?
    ~Veronica

I believe I saw the same rider at Spruce! Not surprised they let her show in it (it's not upto Spruce to police colours so long as you wear a jacket) but it did look very out of place! I was myself wondering what team she had ridden on to be wearing a red jacket!
    Last edited by eclipse; Dec. 10, 2012 at 11:26 AM. Reason: because for some reason it didn't quote the post I wanted!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Former Long Islander now in the middle of the Great Lakes

I would advise this tack shop that even though this was a final sale .. they should probably exchange it for something else as I doubt they want to be known as a High end Tack shop that has a serious lack of knowledge when it comes to advising riders on proper dress .

12 members found this post helpful.

There are plenty of 13yos out there that wear adult sizes. Probably more that do than do not.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MIKES MCS View Post
    I would advise this tack shop that even though this was a final sale .. they should probably exchange it for something else as I doubt they want to be known as a High end Tack shop that has a serious lack of knowledge when it comes to advising riders on proper dress .
    I think this is a good idea... but let's give the tack shop just a little bit of the benefit of the doubt. We have no idea what mom said when she went in there to shop. For all we know she went right to the clearance section on her own and then to the register without asking any sales associates for advice. In a jacket as tiny as the Amino, she may have been buying an adult sized jacket- even for a 13 year old. And who knows, maybe she looks like Reed Kessler's mom I'd be mad at the tack store if they steered mom into this purchase, but we don't know that actually happened.
    ~Veronica

2 members found this post helpful.

Along the lines of giving the tack shop the benefit of the doubt -- perhaps the salesperson helping OP rides in another discipline, and did not know that the red would be for a very specific buyer?

But whatever the reason may be, I would definitely ask the tack shop to make it right. Just explain that you came to them for their expertise, and were steered the wrong way, and ask for a store credit versus a refund.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson