The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Having once worked in a tack shop...perhaps the mother would not be swayed given that her daughter had taken a fancy to it and perhaps "had to have it."

I am wondering what tack shop might carry such an unusual item and why the purchase of a coat like that didn't raise an eyebrow. My thought is someone was delighted to see that thing walk out the door and off the inventory.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LKenn View Post
    A red hunt coat in the jumper ring generally means a rider has represented their country in a nations cup or international competition. I do not believe it is a formal rule but it is a generally understood rule of thumb.
    Is this true for all countries or just ones where red is one of the country's colours? For example would the aussies also hold a symbol to it?

I wouldn't wear it. I even find it a little strange to see CET riders wearing the red jackets outside of bigger/international competitions.

On the back cover on one of the more recent issues of COTH there was a darling little girl wearing a pink Animo coat. I am not sure where she could wear it, but I thought it was cute nonetheless. I anticipate that with all these new European coats out there, more people will be taking risks with coats and colors. People still view shadbelly's as inappropriate for your pony riders, however almost every kid wears one for classics and at pony finals. Shadbelly's are even worn at the AQHA World Show in the hunter championship classes.
    Last edited by PonyPenny; Dec. 10, 2012 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Spelling

Can you take it back to the shop you bought it at for credit at least? They should have said something to you about the inappropriateness of that particular color for your daughter.

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post
    Is this true for all countries or just ones where red is one of the country's colours? For example would the aussies also hold a symbol to it?

I wouldn't wear it. I even find it a little strange to see CET riders wearing the red jackets outside of bigger/international competitions.
    I would assume it is only true for countries where red is one of the colors (a la the US and Canada), but I don't know that for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Good god, these things hurt my eyes!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, even with Swarovski crystals!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

Quote Originally Posted by SSacky View Post

Yes we do but only a few of our international riders wear red. Its not the colour we wear for international comps so it would just be an extra purchase.

Its not held as highly as you do in America and Canada. Some people are starting to wear red even though they haven't competed internationally.

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw a beautiful red soft shell coat at the Dover in Libertyville IL last month. I am honestly surprised that Dover carries them! I mean, even if you are on the USET and just happen to be at the Dover in the middle of IL, don't have a specific coat/style that the team all wears so they match?
    -JustWorld International-

I think I would be inclined to go to the management of the store you bought it from and explain that it should never have been sold to you since these stores are supposed to help and advise.

Worth the try - why the heck did the store buyer buy the jacket - most GP jackets come from a supplier familiar with the cut, buttons etc.

But if it looks like the one on the link, your daughter could certainly wear it
    outside the show-ring and I don't think it looks too equestrian for that - quite like it actually for the right gal.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Troispony View Post
    I saw a beautiful red soft shell coat at the Dover in Libertyville IL last month. I am honestly surprised that Dover carries them! I mean, even if you are on the USET and just happen to be at the Dover in the middle of IL, don't have a specific coat/style that the team all wears so they match?
    Those of us who foxhunt as staff or men with colors also need scarlet coats
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

My eyes . . . My eyes!
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ACMEeventing View Post
    My eyes . . . My eyes!

OP didn't say the jacket was purchased in a tack store.

Expensive lesson learned.

Another vote for selling it on ebay internationally. So many kids over here in the UK compete in red jackets here- it's all the rage... especially the Animo ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    Another vote for selling it on ebay internationally. So many kids over here in the UK compete in red jackets here- it's all the rage... especially the Animo ones.
    ^
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Thanks, now I know I wasn't imagining that I saw a pink one with crystals on it at a show.

wasn't theere a Saddle Club episode where Lisa bought a red coat to show the jumper Sampson in? I read it .... In the story, all the other girls laughted at her.........
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

Oh. My. God.

Crystals? zippered pockets ON THE CUFFS? To say nothing about having cuffs on a riding coat at all (but I just had to say it anyway).

And, whats with the clown gloves?

And why do I want to put both hands on the bottom of the coat and PULL it down another 3"?

I have no animus against Animo. But I hope they are not successful in making their garmets popular.

To the OP --- Its too bad that the issue of riding in red coats didn't come up at the Joe clinic. Despite having ridden for the US for decades and winning 2 gold medals at the Olympics, Joe won't wear a red coat unless he is representing his country. He wears plain dark coats for all other classes.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."