The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Red show jacket in the Ch/AA jumpers?

I recently bought my 13 year old daughter a gorgeous red Animo show jacket (on sale at half price but still expensive at $350) that she had completely fallen in love with. She competes in the Ch/AA jumpers. She is now telling me she can't wear it because there are some conventions around when you get to wear a red jacket in the ring. Given how much I have just spent on this jacket, this is not sitting well with me, as you can imagine. I don't think there are any official rules that say she can't wear it? Any thoughts, feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Yes, you receive a red jacket (well, the right to wear one) when you are selected to ride for the US team.

I'm not sure if there are written rules that she can not wear one, but personally I would not.

27 members found this post helpful.

A red hunt coat in the jumper ring generally means a rider has represented their country in a nations cup or international competition. I do not believe it is a formal rule but it is a generally understood rule of thumb.

7 members found this post helpful.

I would not wear it, sorry.

5 members found this post helpful.

This would be a BIG faux pas, don't do it!
    Last edited by Satin Filly; Dec. 9, 2012 at 01:11 PM.

9 members found this post helpful.

Formal Attire. Black, blue, green, grey, scarlet or similar coats are permitted;
    white or fawn breeches; a white tie, choker or hunting stock, and a white or lightly
    colored shirt must be worn. Shirts must have a white collar and white cuffs.
    Members of the Armed Services or the police may wear the service dress uniform
    with protective headgear. (See General Rules, GR801.2)

So red is acceptable, but tradition dictates MEN or those that have represented the US in team competition.

Is it really red or that raspberry color? I saw that a few weeks ago in a jumper classic and was surprised that the judges didn't say something. It was a beautiful color, but IMO not acceptable for a jumper classic!

4 members found this post helpful.

A red jacket on a junior would be a pretty big faux pas, IMO. There may not be a formal rule against it, but it definitely violates social convention. A red jacket (and all that it connotes) is something to aspire to - it's more than a pretty color. There's probably a reason it was so deeply discounted.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Yes, it would be a faux pas for her to wear it. Sorry.

3 members found this post helpful.

Speaking as a mom, I am so sorry. Do not let her wear it. Red jackets are only for those who have represented the country or in the hunt field for Masters. Can you return it?

I see everyone else has already answered, but I'll just chime in and say that I grew up hearing that aside from hunting "pinks," a red coat is only for those representing the country. Even though it may not be an official rule, as you can see from the responses, your daughter's wearing one would be regarded as presumptuous. I wouldn't let her do it.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Before my very first horse show (I was about 10, I think), my instructor suggested to my Mom that maybe we could borrow a suit coat for me to wear if we knew any boys about my size. My Mom, not knowing any better, borrowed a snappy red sport coat from the boy next door. My instructor was when I showed up wearing it on the day of the show.

So yeah, not suitable for showing in. Maybe she can wear it as casual wear? I bet it would look sharp with jeans and a white sweater underneath.

Thumbs downing everyone because you didn't do your homework BEFORE spending megabucks on a jacket really makes you look immature... Your trainer would have told you immediately that it was NOT acceptable for a junior to wear a red jacket, and that they are not worn in jumpers unless a rider has represented their country internationally/been awarded their colors in a recognized hunt. It is a huge faux pas. In future, it would be very wise to consult your trainer before dropping large amounts of money for show apparel. They would be happy to guide you in the right direction.

Edit: Looking at the poster's history-

Quote Originally Posted by LuLuT View Post
    I love to do clinics as does my daughter and am based in San Francisco. Past clinics we have done include Linda Allen, Joe Fargis, Eddie Macken, Susie Hutchison and Frank Madden, all of whom were great. Bernie Traurig is super but he already does a bunch of clinics in Norcal every year - I would love to do one with Geoff Teal, McLain Ward or Will Simpson.
    If you have done clinics with the likes of Joe Fargis and Frank Madden, you/your daughter have probably been riding hunter/jumper long enough that this really shouldn't surprise you, as this is a VERY basic piece of knowledge.

14 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it will look cute over a white tank paired with jeans, a long necklace and some cute flats?
    And shame on your tack store salesperson for not discussing this with you.

25 members found this post helpful.

maybe OP got it online?

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw a junior wearing a red (as in the same color as a team jacket) jacket at indoor Spruce Meadows!! I was actually shocked they let her compete in it. I certainly would never do that (unless I made it onto the CET!!!)

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty unanimous consensus that she shouldn't wear the jacket Silly me for not giving it more thought at the time. Jacket can't be returned, I am a bit peeved that the shop did not point out the convention to me, but Buyer Beware...I guess I will have to try to find an international rider to take it off my hands, anyone have Reed Kessler's number?

11 members found this post helpful.

MyssMyst, no need to be insulting - I should have known but I didn't, so I will pay for my screwup. While I have had the privilege of doing clinics at the entry level with some great people, I have only been involved in the sport for a couple of years. Conventions can change, and things that once were unacceptable become accepted, that is why I asked the question.

24 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LuLuT View Post
    MyssMyst, no need to be insulting - I should have known but I didn't, so I will pay for my screwup. While I have had the privilege of doing clinics at the entry level with some great people, I have only been involved in the sport for a couple of years. Conventions can change, and things that once were unacceptable become accepted, that is why I asked the question.
    I wouldnt think that when you're doing a clinic with these riders the topic of discussion is "what color should I wear when I horse show". I would insist the tack shop take it back. I feel strongly about the sales people being responsible for selling appropriate apparel to the customer.

17 members found this post helpful.

Toy makers certainly haven't gotten the message: almost every riding Barbie/Ken/other doll DD got when she was little came attired in a red jacket. Considering their barely-bending arms and legs made their equitation a little sketchy, that they were apparently members of the USET or seasoned fox hunters didn't make much sense...

23 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

No WAY man! My barbie TOTALLY made the olympics Every. Single. Ride. Even medaled most of the time. Despite having the WORST scissor-ride ever. Man I hated that their hips didn't flex....
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

12 members found this post helpful.