The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Baby Did Not Get Fed

I am kind of upset tonight because my foal did not get fed today while I worked.

Hubby was off and was supposed to feed her at 1. She gets fed at 7 am 1pm, 7pm and 1am. She is a 3 month old orphan that is on milk replacer pellets.

Well, it was a very nasty day weather wise and the horses were inside most of the day. Hubby had a lot of errands to do. A stressful day for him because we could not find my truck title, which we needed......etc. And he just plain forgot to feed the baby.

He did put them out when the storms ended. So she was out for about 2 hours in the am on grass, in with hay most of the day and out for another 2 1/2 hours. His mistake was not discovered until I went to feed at 7 pm.

I am rather upset, but know there is no point venting to him. He didn't do it on purpose. He is normally a very good horsie Dad.

I don't imagine she will suffer any ill effects, but still feel terrible. Even with having hay she must have been so hungry, going 12 hours without her food. I had taken her off Ulcer Guard about a week ago. But I gave her a dose tonight, and probably will tom as well. Just becuase the empty (ish) tummy might cause the acids to build up. She was never confirmed as having ulcers, but I had her on Uguard since I got her at 3 weeks, becuase of the early and traumatic weaning.

She seems none the worse, but I wouldn't mind you guys saying "don't worry, she will be fine"

Poor punkin
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

She'll be fine. I understand your worry, but they are tougher than we think sometimes.
    She's back on schedule and all is well.

Oh, have I been where you are. Except, the feeding I missed was when the foal was 2 or 3 days old. Since he was getting fed every 2 hours, and I was the only one doing the feedings, I was ragged with no sleep. I missed his 4am feeding. Oh, the tremendous guilt I felt Some days, I still think he pays me back for that since he's the meanest horse I own. He's 5 years old now. He turned out fine. I know the guilt, believe me. Try not to be too upset as I'm sure all will be fine.

Come to think of it, I missed a feeding of the orphan kitten once. I was feeding every 2 hours and set the alarm for pm instead of 2 am, and woke around 4 and was like "YIKES!" OMG, I remember I was so sure he would be dead, and it would be my fault. Instead I found one VERY POd baby cat. He was only about a week old at the time.

You're right. She will live. I was just out, and she is fine. I added a half cup to the night feed and will add the same to the 1 am feed so she is not shorted too much. Soon she will be eating big girl food, and fed only 3 times a day. A few more weeks.

Still amazed we made it this far. I was some worried when I first got her.
    She is something special. Yesterday afternoon, when I got home, she was laying down. She had beeen fed only 2 hourse before, so was not expecting her meal. So she did not get up. I went in with her and kneeled next to her. I was scratching her neck and she just sort of sighed and flopped over on her side, putting her head in my lap One of those, wish I had a camera moments

She will be fine . It is actually not at all uncommon to completely wean babies at 3 months old, so one missed feeding won't make a huge difference, it probably just ticked her off a little .
    Lapeer ... a small drinking town with a farming problem.
    Proud Closet Canterer!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by appaloosalady View Post
    She will be fine . It is actually not at all uncommon to completely wean babies at 3 months old, so one missed feeding won't make a huge difference, it probably just ticked her off a little .
    Good point. I wish I would have weaned my monster at 3 months. Oh no...had to go 6. He's the most 'oral' horse I've ever had (since humans = food since the day he was born). A real bastard actually. But I love him...mean as he is. Hindsight being 20/20 and all, I would have never bottlefed him. I would have gone to the ends of the earth for a nurse mare.

If she's eaten since then, she's already forgotten.

2 members found this post helpful.

Looking for an old thread, and came across this.
    That orphan will be 4 in April.
    A strapping 16.1H
    That missed meal didn't hurt her . LOL!

5 members found this post helpful.

Ah! What a happy ending! I hope things are well with your husband too!
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

1 members found this post helpful.