The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saddles for a Long-Legged Rider?

Hi all, I've been looking through tons and tons of archives and can't find recent enough post for this so I figured I would ask! My Paint has become too wide for my circuit CC and I'm looking for a new wide tree OR exchangeable gullet saddle. My issue on top of finding the perfect saddle for my horse is finding a perfect saddle for me. I am 5'9 with a 34" inseam (thigh longer than shin) and pretty much every saddle I sit in at Dover and Smartpak my knees just go straight over the roll (my seat size is 17, though my current saddle is a 17.5 to compensate for my legs). Does anyone know of good saddles for long legs? I do know you can order long/forward flaps, but they are allllllways non-returnable so I would like to get opinions before jumping in blind.

On another note, my budget is up to around $2k, opinions on saddle brands/quality/what are you all riding in these days? My last CC purchase was in 2004 so I've been out of the game for a little while (LOL).

Thanks a bunch!! Any comments appreciated

Check out Smith Worthington saddles. Their shop is in CT, so it might not be too far for you to visit depending on where in MA you are.

www.smithworthington.com

They have many options since they make their own saddles. Their customer service is bar none the BEST I have worked with. They will ship you demo saddles and tell you to ride in them like you own them and take your time making a decision.

Several of their saddles are within your budget. Mine was not very spendy and I was able to find the perfect saddle for my picky XW backed, big shouldered QH and my longer leg. Love my saddle!
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

My 32cm tree Stubben fit stock horses well. I have a WIDE Arab, but my saddles fit my friends stock horses well too. I foxhunt in a Roxane. I'm 5'5" with a 33" inseam. I am ALL leg. The Roxane is absolutely perfect. It just feels like 'home'.

IME, the quality can't be beat. Stubbens aren't necessarily a trendy brand, but I have saddles that are 20+ years old that are in lovely shape. Is go show in any of them tomorrow.

Def. Smith Worthington - their Mystic comes in fwd flap and they'll resize the tree to fit your horse.

If you didn't say that your Circuit no longer fit, I'd have suggested the Circuit Premier Special Eq, which I just got in ff - fits my 36" legs just fine! (I picked it over the Mystic as I wanted a really flat seat, myself)

RP Pony, did you try the Circuit Premier Special (not the Eq one)? I have the same problem with the flaps not being forward enough. I like the look of the new Circuit but I don't know if I want such a flat seat.
    Five Star Tack

I only tried the non-Eq one in store and my knees totally hung over the flaps. Now, they didn't hang over as much as I was expecting, so maybe w/ your slightly shorter legs it'd work?

I love the Eq, but, yeah, the seat is super flat!

The tree might be too narrow, but sit in an Exselle Debut if you can find one.

Also, Jeffries (Flyover?) might work for you and the horse. Those are well-made saddles at a fair price.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

(also, you might want to see the suggestions in the thread I started a few months ago about saddles for long legs! I was asking about used because my budget was originally low, but there are some great suggestions:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...g-legged-rider

)

Here's another good thread that I started on the eventing forum to peruse. http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ddle-shop-help!
    I am not as tall or as long legged as you, but I am VERY long from hip to knee and require a VERY forward saddle. Lots of good suggestions on that thread, though I have a bit more budget than you. At least it will give you some ideas, and since I'm not looking for a very eventery monoflap, some of the ideas may appeal to you, too.

Thanks for all the replies everyone! I always pass by the SW saddlery booth at equine affaire every year, never knew they were so affordable! My horse's chiropractor/saddle fitter is coming out tomorrow, I'll have to get his opinion and order a test saddle (also love that they're wool flocked). I saw the circuit eq saddle, love the flat seat but not crazy about the dark leather--isn't that more eventer color? Haven't seen dark leather in hunters for a while. What does everyone think of the Pessoa (with XCH system)? When I rode ponies Pessoas were "the" saddle to have, but now it seems there are a ton of mixed reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarRush View Post
    I saw the circuit eq saddle, love the flat seat but not crazy about the dark leather--isn't that more eventer color? Haven't seen dark leather in hunters for a while. What does everyone think of the Pessoa (with XCH system)? When I rode ponies Pessoas were "the" saddle to have, but now it seems there are a ton of mixed reviews.
    Dark leather is absolutely fine... lots and lots of them from the french saddle makers out there.

I love Pessoa saddles for the price point, I'm very long hip to knee and even when my knee sits over the front of them, the balance is great. I'd definitely look into them.

Default Pessoa

I have a 36" inseam and I am able to ride comfortably in the new Pessoa's with the long/forward flap option. I have the Gen-X exchange, I believe the natural. Just got it a few months ago. Easy to break in and fits me well.

I was able to get the tack shop near me to say I could return if it didn't fit for a restocking fee. Wasn't an issue, but I did negotiate that ahead of time. There are several of them new on ebay and most say they are returnable for up to 14 days.

Good luck!

Good to know about the leather and the Pessoas! The natural is the one I really like....sounds like I just need to sit in all of them and figure out the best one for my horse and I.

When I started saddles shopping for an all-purpose, the local saddlery said to look for a "forward" flap to fit my longer legs (5' 10"). It worked in my case. Found a used County Stabilizer XTR with the forward flap and med. wide tree. The best was that the local saddle consignment shop allowed trials - and friends at the barn also allowed me to try out their saddles. A few sessions trying saddles (fitting the horse came first, then me!). Good luck!

I'm about the same size you are (5'9", 33" inseam, butt can fit into 17" seat). The saddles I've ridden in recently that fit my leg comfortably have been:

17" Butet with 2.5 Flap
    17.5" Devoucoux Oldara with 3A flap
    17.5" County Innovation with forward flap (it's custom for some else, don't have numbers)
    17.5", custom for someone else, no flap codes, Stackhouse DGS with 14.5" x 14.5" flaps

All would be well over $2K new, but you should be able to get in the ballpark with used saddles.

Just got back from the barn, the chiropractor said I need a pommel with a good amount of clearance, like a Vega or Prestige (and Pessoa's are too low)....he did say Smith-Worthington saddles are worth looking into though! So maybe I won't go completely broke. I did just buy a brand new horse trailer so my bank account is hurting a tad at the moment

1 members found this post helpful.

6'1" and 35" inseam here!

Big fan of the Antares saddles, not a huge fan of the Vega. Flap not nearly forward enough. I did ride in a Dominus CC that fit the high-withered, wide EQ horse and my crazy legs. Hope it helps!
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

You should look into Black Country....a fair number of them are made with a more forward flap....originally they are custom made but there are a fair number of them on the second hand market. If you can come up with an extra $600 you can custom order a new one that will fit you and your horse perfectly. They are lovely.

I bought a long flap saddle (Bates CC) and usually ride in a 17-1/2". I did not account for the extra leg length and find I really should have a 17" since I float around in this saddle a bit.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I'd look into finding a used Antares.
    I am 6'0" and all legs. I have the most forward flap they make... and I loove it.. besides the customer service and the tree breaking issues of course