The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Of course if one gets goat(s), they'll need a couple of donkeys to protect them from predators.

And then there's this to consider...
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

CL abscesses on a goat are highly contagious, chronic, incurable, and can be spread to humans and horses (pigeon fever). Something I forgot to mention in my rambles.

I also do not recommend rescuing goats....while it's nice for people to offer that, many rescues do NOT check for CAE nor keep a close eye on goats who might produce CL abscesses which can burst and spread the bacteria all over the other goats and property.

Buy from a breeder who tests and disbuds. CAE will shorten the life of a goat and will be spread to any kids they have. CL is ten times more dangerous because it can spread to others and can get in your ground and lay in wait.

Or get a mini donkey! I've long wanted one, but I've seen too many pick up a goat and sling it, so I stick with my ponies. Lol
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Heliodoro View Post
    Told DH about their penchant for climbing atop cars. We have a few classic restoration project cars sans goat dents at the moment and he's a guy that notices the littlest scratch on his daily driver... "So what kind of farm pets can we get that are cute to look at and pet, but don't destroy stuff?"

I'm thinking I may get my mini-donk after all
    Ducks and geese, although geese can be a little destructive if it's bite-able, like weather stripping around doors. Ducks are pretty good at destroying grassy areas so come to think of it, nevermind my idea. I do love my ducks and geese though and would never get rid of them.

I have had pygmy goats for years and I love them. They are great company for my horses and are much easier to contain. The nuetered males make wonderful pets. They should not however eat much if any grain or alfalfa hay because they get urinary blockages which are often fatal. They get a CDT and a Rabies shot once a year. Mine kept their feet self trimmed very well until they got some age on them. My farrier now trims them once a year and has no complaints at all. My experience has been nothing but fun. I will say though, a sick goat is often a dead goat, they seem to fine or they are really not. I love my goats. They also get an ivermectin injection once a year for worming purposes. My experience has been strictly as pets, not as milk, meat, or yarn producers.
    Last edited by tradewind; Dec. 9, 2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: add worming info

I love my goaties! I have five - two Boers (bottle babies), two Nigerian Dwarfs, and one Boers/Alpine. I had another (my favorite) but he died. Their pen is fenced with cattle panels and I have no problems keeping them in. I do let them out occasionally to roam around the farm. They usually head for the haystack or the arborvitae and they come when called (better than the dogs!). They have never jumped on the car, truck, or tractor.

I also have chickens and love them as well. Get them as chicks and handle often. Mine all have different personalities. I've got two that will fly down and land on my shoulder if I am late bringing the scratch out.

I want a mini donk. May get one in the next year. A friend has a friend living near me and they want to move next year. When they do they are thinking of finding a new home for their mini donk and my friend suggested that I would be a good new home.
    Crayola Posse - Pine Green
    RIP Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)

There is an Arab proverb that says, "if you have no troubles, buy a goat."
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

5 members found this post helpful.

We've never had trouble keeping goats in pens. In the past we had a big wooden-fenced board pen that we kept goats and sheep in. We also used to have a nice big pen fenced with cattle panels, where my 4-H goats lived. Our current 2 pet goats (Clyde and P.W.) are wethers, (a Nubian and a LaMancha) and they are living in my good sized chicken coop at the moment, (we don't currently have chickens).
    One of the main negatives I hear from people about goats: They jump on cars!
    Most likely yes, if you let them live loose in the yard. But not if you contain them in goat-safe fencing. And if I expected our boys to live out in the pasture with the horses, well yes, they'd probaby get out. Someday I want to fence a BIG area with cattle panels, then build some stuff for them to climb on. They'd love that.
    The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done".

OK. Now I want goatlets AND a mini donk.

Liz

1 members found this post helpful.

Thinking of getting goats that will (hopefully) clear the woods for me. What are the chances large goats will stay within the 4 board horse fence with tube gates? I've got a couple acres of woods with plenty of big rocks to climb on and brush to eat.
    Y'all ain't right!

The more they have to occupy themselves inside the fencing, the more likely they are to stay inside.

Until one day they decide to go outside. Then they go outside of the fence and come look in your windows.

That's generally how I found it works. Lol. They don't generally run away though, goats are real homebodies.
    ~ The Goat Whisperer
    Website

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd take 100 goats over a goose. Geese crap like... well, a goose. TONS of poo.

I like my goats, I understand them and do well with them. They eat hardly anything and they give the same love and loyalty that a dog gives. Plus a half gallon of milk a day that can be fed to any creature on earth without stomach upset. they're kind and sweet and if they get excited about some grain that is understandable. When goats get out they come to find YOU and sure it's bad if your lilacs are near your door... lol

I have had a lot of critters but I know I'll always have a goat around now... not so much the geese.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    I'd take 100 goats over a goose. Geese crap like... well, a goose. TONS of poo.

I like my goats, I understand them and do well with them. They eat hardly anything and they give the same love and loyalty that a dog gives. Plus a half gallon of milk a day that can be fed to any creature on earth without stomach upset. they're kind and sweet and if they get excited about some grain that is understandable. When goats get out they come to find YOU and sure it's bad if your lilacs are near your door... lol

I have had a lot of critters but I know I'll always have a goat around now... not so much the geese.
    Well with geese you either love them or hate them. I love mine. They are funny, affectionate, they follow me around the farm, and they give us eggs and let us know when someone is nearby. Mine don't make more of a mess poop wise than the ducks, dogs, or horses and it's easy to clean up. I may never get goats but I will always have geese. Everyone's experiences will be different so I guess I am just a goose girl.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    Thinking of getting goats that will (hopefully) clear the woods for me. What are the chances large goats will stay within the 4 board horse fence with tube gates? I've got a couple acres of woods with plenty of big rocks to climb on and brush to eat.
    You will spend less time looking for your goats or removing them from your porch if you put woven wire on the tube gates. Ask me how I know this.

Yes, chickens will most likely be part of the equation. My trainer has a whole flock of different breeds, she loves chickens! I love never having to buy eggs from the grocery store ever again and the pest control is a bonus. Course, we would have to keep the "car area" of the barn sealed from them or buy car covers, I can just see DH coming up to the house after a chicken crapped on on of the Zs...

Can't do geese. After having a pair of Canada geese decide that our pond was THE perfect spot for a nest the past 3 springs which included the massive honking at ungodly hours against any "intruders," goose poop all over my yard and the hissing at me on my own property, no thanks!

I've always wanted a mini-donk. We do have lots of coyotes in the area, it would be nice to see if they live up to all the livestock-protector hype. Plus, a mini-donk pulling a cart would just be plain awesome! Maybe in the 10yr plan we could strengthen the fencing for a few goats, it would be nice to have natural brush control in the pastures! And yes, all goats will be sans horns. They will have probably close to 10acres to munch on with the horses, hopefully that would suffice for 2-3 goats!

I'm getting excited, we're putting in our offer today on the place!!

2 members found this post helpful.

Good luck with your offer! It's exciting stuff!

I have 1 goat and 1 horse...and am HAPPY!
    The problems people report with goats made me put it off...
    But when I got him I made sure we had good fence. He (and his horse) always have plenty to eat and the goat has a small play area made of old water tubs and blocks -he has no reason to wander or be destructive.

The only time he got out was when I left a gate open. Poor guy calmly waited on the other side of the gate to be let back in!

He also has rules and while a smarty pants seems to know where the lines are drawn for behavior. This little fella is actually better behaved than our dogs and the horse just loves him).

Maybe we are just lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Ghazzu View Post
    There is an Arab proverb that says, "if you have no troubles, buy a goat."
    And an American proverb about fences: If it won't hold water, it won't hold a goat.

1 members found this post helpful.

How exciting! I hope it works out for you.

My friend has some pygmy goats. I.HATE.them. Unless I ever had a pen for goats that they could never get out of, I would not consider keeping them. EVER. These goats get on everything, in everything, and crap on everything. They steal the grain from the horses, although luckily for me my horse does not share and after chomping on them a few times they do not try to steal her grain anymore. They have dented, scratched, and crapped on all the cars. They have killed multiple plant, shrubs and trees. They are trainable though; they mostly behave themselves around me (i.e. mostly stay out of places they are not supposed to be in, mostly stay off of things, and give me a wide berth).

In short, they are really cute but are IME are royal pains in the booty. Not a pet I am pining to have for sure.