The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The whole idea in having a horse inspected at a TWH show is that the horse doesn't respond negatively to palpation of his fore legs. This asshat attempted to drive the horse to sufficient distraction with a zip tie applied hard and fast to it's upper jaw that it wouldn't notice his legs were being handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    You search better than I do!!!

Thank you for finding the linked article. This is a new one on me.

There's a LONG thread going on the subject of soring but this kind of stood out for me and I wanted to get some input from folks as to what it was and, perhaps, if there was a legitimate reason for using it. I've seen lip/gum chains used. I've used a twitch (but this didn't really seem much like a twitch to me). I'm not familiar enough with the nerve anatomy of the horse's head to know just what this might do. Thank you to those who filled in some of those "blanks."

It's my hope that the whole Big Lick thing goes the way of the DoDo bird, but I kind of doubt that it will. Cheaters exist in all equine disciplines. We might not get them all, be ought to get those that we can.

G.
    You are welcome! I knew that library degree would come in handy some day!

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    You search better than I do!!!

Thank you for finding the linked article. This is a new one on me.

There's a LONG thread going on the subject of soring but this kind of stood out for me and I wanted to get some input from folks as to what it was and, perhaps, if there was a legitimate reason for using it. I've seen lip/gum chains used. I've used a twitch (but this didn't really seem much like a twitch to me). I'm not familiar enough with the nerve anatomy of the horse's head to know just what this might do. Thank you to those who filled in some of those "blanks."

It's my hope that the whole Big Lick thing goes the way of the DoDo bird, but I kind of doubt that it will. Cheaters exist in all equine disciplines. We might not get them all, be ought to get those that we can.

G.
    Yes, all disciplines and other we may do with horses has someone not doing it right to abusing horses.
    Even some rescues starve horses, as we well know.

That some do wrong reflects on all of us and especially on all of us in that one use the abuse happens and not only in the horse world.

We have to recognize that not all are abusers, but when it comes to some of what we do with/to our animals, some we do is more apt to bring abuses and I think you are right, big lick seems to be one of those.