The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thanks. Read it several times and skipped it each time!

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Well, that is one reason they ARE losing members. Not everyone is oriented toward moving up the levels - many (the vast majority) of members are middle class, working people who don't have the money or time (or physical ability), but are still happy to own their horses, show once or twice a year, maybe at 1st level. They want to learn, to do the best they can, within their realistic monetary, time, and physical limits. If USDF can't reach out to that group and provide them something for their membership fees, they lose that huge portion of their membership.

Things like the All Breeds Awards reach out to us - a way to recognize the rider who doesn't have the fancy Warmblood. The rider medals reach out to us (but now we have to pay extra for those). But what else is there for this huge portion of the membership?
    My sentiments exactly.
    Sheilah

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    It seems that USDF has a promotional problem, as several of these programs exist:

Rider Performance Awards are for training, first, and second levels- 4 scores over 60%. http://www.usdf.org/awards/performance/rider-awards.asp
    There are also Horse Certificates for each level.
    Thanks for the info. I wasn't a USDF member in 2012, but I have been most years, and I never knew.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

MysticOakRanch, I do believe you've given voice to what I couldn't articulate. I've been pondering why I am not more concerned about this issue, but couldn't put my finger on it. What you said speaks to my condition. I am a middle class member who works for a living and doesn't have the money or time (or physical ability), but am still happy to own my horse, maybe show once or twice a year, maybe achieve first level. I want to learn, but I have to be realistic with my monetary, time, and physical limits. On top of that, dressage is just one discipline that turns me on. I always felt somehow that I was one of the few for which this is the reality, but it sounds like not so few? I always get the impression that everyone in dressage (okay, everyone I run into in RL or online) is way more gungho than I am, has way more money than I do (I was happy to scrape together $1K for my one saddle that is not a dressage saddle), and way more love for the sport than I do.

Maybe that was just an impression? If this is the case, then I'd say USDF has an image problem. If that is not the case, then you're right; we don't belong with them.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by MysticOakRanch View Post
    Well, that is one reason they ARE losing members. Not everyone is oriented toward moving up the levels - many (the vast majority) of members are middle class, working people who don't have the money or time (or physical ability), but are still happy to own their horses, show once or twice a year, maybe at 1st level. They want to learn, to do the best they can, within their realistic monetary, time, and physical limits. If USDF can't reach out to that group and provide them something for their membership fees, they lose that huge portion of their membership.

Things like the All Breeds Awards reach out to us - a way to recognize the rider who doesn't have the fancy Warmblood. The rider medals reach out to us (but now we have to pay extra for those). But what else is there for this huge portion of the membership?
    My point was.... why are you even paying membership fees if you are not participating in the programs that USDF is designed for. You can not expect to pay membership fees and then have the organization change it's purpose to suit your needs. I am using the terms "you" and "yours" in the broad sense.

I honestly thing a big reason these organizations are losing memberships is because of the economy. There are less entries at horse shows. There are less people owning horses and competing in dressage because when times get tough, guess what gets dropped.

2 members found this post helpful.

The USDF spend good money (member's) on developing a pretty good Strategic Plan....their leadership just needs to read their own Strategic Plan and act on all the ideas in there.

Value Proposition:
    (What we will offer)
    Provide leading-edge innovative forums for dressage education and other
    programs that provide positive and enjoyable member experiences.
    • Understand what members will need, and don’t yet know they need, to be
    successful in their dressage interest in the future.
    • Develop the vision of what dressage in the United States and USDF will look like in the future.
    Create new applications of existing training programs.
    • Deliver programs through a variety of formats (face-to-face and virtual).
    Build a reputation of providing these leading edge programs with excellence.
    Instead of all the verbiage below, they should have a simple statement:
    "All riders, auditors and non-riders and dressage enthusiasts are welcome."

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    This is the attendance criteria. It does exclude quite a few AAs.

All eligible attendees must be current Participating Members of USDF at the time of program and meet one of the following criteria:

• Current trainers who are teaching students at the FEI Level and who have trained several successful FEI Level horses
    • Current USDF Instructor Certification Examiners
    • Current USDF Certified Instructors-Training-Second Level
    • Current USDF Certified Instructors-Training-Fourth Level
    • Current FEI Judges and Current USEF Judges-“r”, “R”, “S”
    • Current Intercollegiate Dressage coaches, school must be a current IDA team
    • Current USDF ”L” Program Faculty members
    • USDF “L” Program Graduates
    • Current USDF Instructor/Trainer Committee members
    • Past Olympic, World Cup, World Equestrian Games and Pan Am Games Riders
    • Members of the USEF HP Dressage Long List
    • Riders of all past USDF Horse of the Year top 10 winners at the FEI Levels
    • All past USDF Year End Award top 10 winners in the Adult Amateur and JR/YR Divisions at the FEI Level
    • All Great American Insurance Group/ USDF Regional Championships FEI Champions and Reserve Champions of Open Divisions
    • All USDF Gold and Silver Medal Rider Award Recipients
    • Current USDF Executive Board Members
    • Qualified FEI Young Riders, current and previous year
    o Must have met minimum score requirements to compete at the NAYRC
    • Qualified FEI Junior Riders, current and previous year
    o Must have met minimum score requirements to compete at the NAJC
    • Brentina Cup qualified riders, current and previous year
    • Current and past participants in Young Rider Graduate Program
    • Previous year USEF National Junior Dressage Championship Riders

Eligible attendees may bring up to three guests who are actively riding, training or competing at the FEI Level.*

Foreign applicants who meet at least one of the above criteria are welcome.*

* All eligible guests and foreign applicants must be current Participating Members of USDF at the time of program.
    Last edited by pluvinel; Dec. 14, 2012 at 05:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MLD View Post
    If an AA is not showing or only showing locally (such as one star or schooling shows) then they DO NOT need a membership to the USDF or USEF.

Look at the USDF website, it is ALL devoted to competition, education, awards. If an AA dressage rider is not interest in competing and/or moving up the dressage levels (education) then why on earth would they want to be involved and pay money to an organization that supports something the rider doesn't have interest in.

Why try to make the USDF something it is NOT. It is an organization that is dedicated to education, the recognition of achievement and promotion of dressage,

The USDF is not an organization for those that do not want to show, train and work their way up the levels Sorry, it is as simple as that. If you don't show/train, you don't pay membership fees... and you are not entitled to the benefits of the organization. If you do not show and you do pay membership fees, that would be like me a non-skier buying a season pass to a ski resort and then complaining that they have nothing to offer me.
    There seems to be an underlying assumption here that the USDF is for people who want to show.

Again, go to the USDF's own strategic plan. .... the Strategic Plan raises that very question

Image, Reputation and Brand:
    • How can USDF better position itself as the voice of US dressage?
    • How can USDF be valued for its work when a significant segment of the
    dressage community does not recognize USDF’s contributions to improve the
    sport?
    • How can USDF increase its image at the grassroots level? What do people think of USDF, and who knows we exist?
    How can USDF get the typical dressage competitor to understand and
    differentiate between USDF and USEF?
    Education is a huge part of what USDF can and should offer.

Again....from the Strategic Plan

In 2011:
    Goal A. USDF will be its members’ indispensable resource for education and training.
    Goal B. USDF will be an advocate for the improvement and development of competitions and awards.
    Goal C. USDF will be the recognized voice and information portal for dressage.
    Goal D. USDF will be known for its state-of-the-art infrastructure that supports and sustains its success.
    Goal E. USDF will be financially secure and able to support and implement its strategic plan.
    Last edited by pluvinel; Dec. 13, 2012 at 07:41 PM.

Default I find this criterion, and its obvious omission, particularly offensive:

• All USDF Gold and Silver Medal Rider Award Recipients

But NOT the Bronze Medal award recipients.

The Bronze Medal requires scores over 60% at First, Second and Third Levels, which are the levels where a lot of AAs, such as myself, live and compete. Qualifying for a Bronze Medal will be a HUGE achievement for me, but apparently is considered chopped liver by the USDF.

But it is the FEI Trainer's Conference, so basically geared to the FEI levels, which are not included in the Bronze Medal.

To be fair, it also leaves out lower level instructors, unless they have gone through the certification process. So it is not just AAs being excluded. There are several professionals in my area who are not certified and have only been able to earn the Bronze Medal, and they would not be allowed in. But I, as an AA with my Silver, would be.

Same here. As an AA with my silver, I received an invitation entitled "Succeed/USDF FEI-Level Trainers' Conference." It isn't aimed at the lower levels.

Personally, I think trainer education is critically import. Each of those trainers can disseminate the knowledge to many others, including lower-level pros back in their home area. It's also critically important that trainer's have access to the truly top pros to get advice about making what (for most) is a huge leap up to GP, and training horses up to that level.

Also, each person who meets the criteria can bring up to 3 additional people who are riding, training, or teaching at the FEI levels. So, if you are schooling PSG at home, your trainer or friend can bring you as guest.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Same here. As an AA with my silver, I received an invitation entitled "Succeed/USDF FEI-Level Trainers' Conference." It isn't aimed at the lower levels.

Personally, I think trainer education is critically import. Each of those trainers can disseminate the knowledge to many others, including lower-level pros back in their home area. It's also critically important that trainer's have access to the truly top pros to get advice about making what (for most) is a huge leap up to GP, and training horses up to that level.

Also, each person who meets the criteria can bring up to 3 additional people who are riding, training, or teaching at the FEI levels. So, if you are schooling PSG at home, your trainer or friend can bring you as guest.
    How are the lower levels going to see what they are aiming at if they don't have access to good upper level education?

How does requiring all these "criteria" further the aspirations in the Strategic Plan

USDF Culture:
    How can USDF create a culture that is more inclusive and less exclusive?
    Why require to have a "friend" in the inside to be able to audit a simple dressage presentation?

I (and everyone on this BB) can attend an ASME public course for the design of nuclear reactors just by paying my fees.
    http://www.asme.org/products/courses...rules-for-cons

Why all the hoops that the USDF puts for attending a dressage symposium?

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    But it is the FEI Trainer's Conference, so basically geared to the FEI levels, which are not included in the Bronze Medal.

To be fair, it also leaves out lower level instructors, unless they have gone through the certification process. So it is not just AAs being excluded. There are several professionals in my area who are not certified and have only been able to earn the Bronze Medal, and they would not be allowed in. But I, as an AA with my Silver, would be.
    Let's see - two day FEI trainer's conference with Steffen Peters and Scott Hassler, price $275, and closed to lower level riders.

Or the two day Global Dressage Forum the following week, open to everyone, price $350. Clinicians and panelists include Ingrid Klimke, Steffen Peters, Wolfram Wittig, Rudolf Zeilinger, Arthur Kottas, Bo Jena, Dr. Hilary Clayton, Dr. Grant Moon, Dr. Ina Gosmeier, Dr. Juan Samper, Christoph Hess, Stephen Clark, Wim Ernes, Gary Rockwell, Lendon Gray, Sue Blinks, Anne Gribbons, Kathy Connelly, Betsy Steiner, Leslie Reid, Jan Ebeling, Felicitas von Neumann Cosel.

Sure sounds like the latter will be more bang for the buck, even for those eligible for the trainer's conference.

When's the date for the 2013 GDF? I Googled and found a website. It has lots of 2012 info, I'm still looking though. The blurb under "Who can participate"

Who can participate?
    Not only top riders, trainers and officials are present, everyone in the dressage world is invited to participate! Dressage enthusiasts are more than welcome to enjoy two unforgettable days in the presence of the best riders, judges and trainers of the world. Participants at the Global Dressage Forum will gain new information and increase their network.

http://www.globaldressageforum.com/e...2/reservations

But this was 2012. Where's the 2013 stuff?

Found it http://www.globaldressageforumna.com/

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by MLD View Post
    My point was.... why are you even paying membership fees if you are not participating in the programs that USDF is designed for. You can not expect to pay membership fees and then have the organization change it's purpose to suit your needs. I am using the terms "you" and "yours" in the broad sense.

I honestly thing a big reason these organizations are losing memberships is because of the economy. There are less entries at horse shows. There are less people owning horses and competing in dressage because when times get tough, guess what gets dropped.
    Just to clarify - I do participate in shows, and am crawling my way up the levels . I have also gone through the USDF L Program, and am probably not the "normal" USDF AA member. But I have a lot of friends and acquaintances who are exactly as I've described - and some of them ARE leaving USDF because it doesn't reach out to them.

To be honest, I think MANY people were originally attracted to dressage because you could participate and feel a "part" of it without having ton of money and talent. It use to be, you could go show, do OK without riding Totilas. You could take out your nice little Morgan, Arab, QH, etc that had some decent training and you could get decent scores and a decent placing. And learning, and progressing was something we all worked toward - even if that meant making it to 2nd level someday.

But the sport has moved more and more toward money, big movement, money, and we've left our core supporters out of the game. I don't think we are asking USDF to "change its purpose" - I think we feel that USDF and dressage have changed directions and left many of us behind. Which is possibly one reason memberships are declining. I agree, economy is also part of the decline. But don't think it is the entire issue.

ETA - another point that USDF often misses. WHY is everything on the East Coast? Why FL and KY for so much they do? If they want to educate, they need to go to the people - which means the West Coast, the Mid-West, everywhere in between! I believe they should rotate their education programs so there is a chance for all to attend. It is just one more example of how the entire membership is not equally served.
    Last edited by MysticOakRanch; Dec. 13, 2012 at 09:06 PM.

Global Dressage Forum.....no "requirements" to attend....you just buy your ticket on line and show up

http://www.globaldressageforumna.com/event-program/

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

Someone who has earned a bronze, though, is knocking on the door to FEI. Presumably they're working at 4th now and it seems that even if you accept the idea of the restricted audience, they're right in there with the group you want to benefit.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

but all of those programs involve showing, many are saying they either are not interested in showing or can no longer afford to show, so they are interested in programs not connected to showing.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    but all of those programs involve showing, many are saying they either are not interested in showing or can no longer afford to show, so they are interested in programs not connected to showing.
    Thank you

I threatened to list my Appy as a "Native American Warmblood."

Quote Originally Posted by paulaedwina View Post
    Outside of breeding services what does it matter what you call your horse?

Paula
    aHHHH.. I have the answer to this one. An aquaintance was doing quite well with her Paint (lots of TB in him) at 2nd level. He was a very nice mover, well trained, she was an excellent rider. Late in the show season, she showed once more before a judge she had scored well with. She was at that time schooling 3rd/4th level and ready to move up...but she got a MUCH lower score, despite what seemed to her to be a better ride than some of her earlier in the season tests. The scribe happened to be a friend of hers, so she casually asked, "did the judge say anything beyond what was on the test?" Her friend hesitate, blushed, then said, "Well, he did say that he had thought your horse was a Dutch WB Pinto, but then he found out it was JUST a PAINT." Uh-huh. But of course, he didn't put that on the test, so she had no recourse.