The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

So, are you advocating going back to USDF shows and USEF shows, with different tests, so EF can concentrate on those going up to the international level, while DF concentrates on the rest of us? Shouldn't those tests lead logically towards the demands of the FEI level tests - so horses get a correct foundation? Perhaps just cutting out the gaits score entirely at the lower level, so then it is only about training - and a WP type jog and lope wins this "pattern class" that has been created because it is submissive? What about those on the cusp - say, in the top 100 worldwide but not yet at real player on that stage? What about the developing rider programs?
    AFAIAC, I am encouraged that those members you listed are concerned with,and willing to step up and offer to do something, to meet the needs of the AA under the "EF-DF Umbrella".
    I think you look for conspiracies where they do not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    It should not be the role of the USDF to "raise up" international competitors. The USDF is a member organization that should support the needs of the majority of the members, not some elite sub-set who want to go to international competitions. Those people have their own committee....it is called the USEF High Performance Committee.

The USEF dressage tests are written by members of the USEF Dressage Committee....and guess who is on that committee.....all are USDF leaders
    http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/AboutUs...eeDisplay.aspx

The USDF leaders who are on the USEF Dressage Committee should be advocating for USDF members by proposing programs and NATIONAL tests that would favor the greatest number of horses and riders in the US.

Once you get to CDI's the FEI tests come into play.....so its another game.....a game that the majority of USDF members will probably not play.

Here's who's on that USEF Dressage Committee that associated themselves with the AADI....

MS JAYNE AYERS - Chair
    DR. HILARY M. CLAYTON
    MRS JANET FOY
    MS LISA GORRETTA
    MR AXEL STEINER

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    So, are you advocating going back to USDF shows and USEF shows, with different tests, so EF can concentrate on those going up to the international level, while DF concentrates on the rest of us? Shouldn't those tests lead logically towards the demands of the FEI level tests - so horses get a correct foundation? Perhaps just cutting out the gaits score entirely at the lower level, so then it is only about training - and a WP type jog and lope wins this "pattern class" that has been created because it is submissive? What about those on the cusp - say, in the top 100 worldwide but not yet at real player on that stage? What about the developing rider programs?
    AFAIAC, I am encouraged that those members you listed are concerned with,and willing to step up and offe to do something, to meet the needs of the AA under the "EF-DF Umbrella".
    I think you look for conspiracies where they do not exist.
    I am not advocating nothing.

As a USDF GM member, it is my opinion is that the DF should focus on education and the EF should focus on its mission, eg., equestrian competition.

As far as the AADI and the people from the EF Dressage committee.....I will believe there is change afoot when I see actual CHANGE.....All I see with the AADI is a bunch of people creating boards, regional reps, etc. Motion without results.

We don't need more ideas, boards, committees, reps....we need the DF/EF (for this purpose they are the same) to show by some token action that they're willing to step up and actually make a change.

Show me the beef.....I have posted ad-nauseum of items that can be done by the stroke of the pen without cost or resources. All it takes is will.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Quote Originally Posted by pluvinel View Post
    Maybe those current with the judge's training can chime in, but if I can recall from L-judges program, gait has a huge impact on each and every movement score.

Back in the days of the dinosaurs, gaits were scored in the collective marks and the rest of the dressage test was a test of obedience and training.
    This is what instructions where when I was scribing for an L candidate last year and the year before. (Who graduated with distinction! Woohoo, go Reiter!)

As a scribe listening in when I could I never heard a discussion of what "obedience" is, but these days it seems as if a steady head position is a large part of obedience, when previously it had a lot more to do with how the horse used its body and responded to cues.

The theory is that correct training leads to increased suspension and cadence in a horse, elasticity and movement through the back. However, these days many warmbloods are born that way, which I would think would give a very high bias toward well-bred warmbloods, at least. They can be spectacular, sure, but ExVet's horses can, too! (I say that because she's the only one I know I have seen showing in person.) The criteria for movement and how it affects scores will be in favor of someone on a warmblood, and given how well ExVet trains and rides her horses, I think sometimes the criteria just seem wrong here - I have seen her in rides where she clearly seemed to have the most obedient and well-trained and conditioned horse out there, even if it wasn't born bouncing 2' off the ground.

But I am a nobody when it comes to dressage. I find the notion PP gave of coming to dressage because you can afford to show it since it is less expensive than hunters a glaring example of different priorities. I don't give a rip which kind of shows are more or less expensive - I care about the discipline which encourages me to build a partnership with and develop my horse in a beautiful way. My not showing right now is about figuring out what my horse and I both need to learn about behavior in public places and not finances, but even if we were at a stage where we were doing well and competitive, I would absolutely skip showing/memberships before I would skip the learning opportunities which would help us further develop. I want continued development, and missing a year or two of showing is very small in the big scheme of a horse's progress.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

1 members found this post helpful.

(I Tried. I Can't Help It.) If you are "not advocating nothing", clearly you ARE advocating something. So what is it?

Can't help it. former teacher here....

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    (I Tried. I Can't Help It.) If you are "not advocating nothing", clearly you ARE advocating something. So what is it?

Can't help it. former teacher here....
    I are an engineer......(inside joke)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmYDgncMhXw
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert