The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Are you sure it is rain rot?

Sometimes photosensitivity issues can develop late fall in heavily clovered pastures as the rains return. It can look similar to a roaring case of rainrot....only the exposed skin generally has a purplish shade. Other feed ingredients higher in the chemicals can contribute to the issue.

It also may have started as rainrot and progressed to other. Sometimes we see rainrot and then skin fungal conditions develop during monsoon season. We spray the skin down or even bath with a Chlorohex solution and then later after the area is dry groom with lamisil spray powder.

I once had a 3 year old with a wooly coat and a persistent case of rain rot. My vet prescribed fulvicin (sp?) - an anti-fungal that you put in their feed - and that worked magic.
    "You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." - The Little Prince

I have had great results with tea tree oil on the various rescues that have come in with rainrot.

For cases that have gone past being able to be treated topically in either size or intensity, I would get a shot of EqStim from your vet to boost the immune system - it has worked every time I have used it.

I agree too with what others have mentioned about minerals in the diet - I top dress our feed with Equimin, which is a vitamin/mineral supplement and we hardly have any rainrot issues in our barn.

http://www.southernstates.com/catalo...pail-25lb.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by retrofit View Post
    I once had a 3 year old with a wooly coat and a persistent case of rain rot. My vet prescribed fulvicin (sp?) - an anti-fungal that you put in their feed - and that worked magic.
    My vet has prescribed this too for smaller areas - he gives me 5 packages, 4 to feed and one to dissolve in a jar of vaseline and use topically.