The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    5 is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I've heard unsavory rumors of that also.
    Got Moles? Call Avagadro.

Quote Originally Posted by dreamswept View Post
    And that's a whooooole 'nother kettle of fish. On the other hand, I think he sold half of it at some point because part of the property's Bella Cavalli Farms & Vineyard now. The training track's on their side, and they have grapes in the infield. Nice place, the barn's just to die for.
    Just asking because IIRC, Roberts wrote about coming from nothing but an abusive daddy. How does that add up to a huge farm in a great part of California?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Just asking because IIRC, Roberts wrote about coming from nothing but an abusive daddy. How does that add up to a huge farm in a great part of California?
    Working his behind off.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

Quote Originally Posted by CFFarm View Post
    I watched the video and didn't find anything particularly ego driven in it. It was filmed in association with the release of the film. It was filmed in 2011 and he says the play had been on stage for 3 years. He must have had something to do with the training of the cast or he wouldn't have been on the stage with them, right? Being British they probably did read his book in an attempt to understand how horses think. I'm sure the producers of the movie put the video together if anyone wants to check.

I read Monte's book when it was first released and it got a lot out of it. Most of it wasn't new information but it put into words a lot of what we old timers had learned on our own.

The book by the "family" was written in 1999 and as sounds a bit like jumping on the book bandwagon to make a buck to me. But that's just MHO.
    ^^^This! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
    My grandmother took me to a MR clinic when I was pretty young too, and I remember the "bucker" he had. His solution was to take a piece of twine, loop it under the horses upper lip (across his gums like a lip chain), string it over the top of the horses head and attach it to the saddle. He explained that when the horse put it's head down to buck, it would automatically correct the horse.
    I saw that at a demo, too. He put the twine under the horse's lip, tied the dummy in the saddle, and free longed the horse at the canter around the round pen for quite a long time. Then his assistant got on instead of the dummy (twine still under the lip, which made me wonder what kind of wreck we'd see if the horse stumbled), and made it run some more. Eventually, the horse looked really tired and took a lot of whip work to maintain the canter. Then they took the twine off and cantered it a bit more with the assistant sitting on it to show that the bucking horse was 'fixed'.

The only other thing I've seen him do was a trailer loading demo. He was hawking some kind of miracle pully halter that put a lot of pressure on the poll and maybe other sensitive parts of the head. It did work--a few hard yanks with that halter and the horse was eager to do anything to gain relief.

If he says anything about other trainers being harsh or gimmick-y, based on what I've seen, I'm thinking "pot, meet kettle". It was pretty disappointing after all the 'horse whisperer' hype.

Oregon, sitting on my couch looking out the window at a mountain

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Jesus rode a donkey. Do donkeys speak Equus?
    I'm surprised y'all are so uninformed. Everyone knows Jesus rode a dinosaur: http://www.dailysquib.co.uk/most-pop...dinosaurs.html

My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    Working his behind off.....
    Have you priced land in CA?

Roberts must have started with a monster tuckus.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Have you priced land in CA?

Roberts must have started with a monster tuckus.
    He's been at it for a while.
    And I do know of one horse he worked with, the connections were not poor!
    And yes, the official side of the story I do remember playing out!

As I recall - from the book tho - the farm/ranch is only a shadow of it's original glory, I don't know who bought what from whom, don't really care either.

If one cared, one could probably find out a lot about the person in question via the net no less, from official documents.
    you know, the registered horses he owned, horses he trained etc....

I am pretty sure that Baffert, Zito, Lukas, etc are much better off now than when they started out. And that without writing a book and doing clinics!

Do I believe everything he wrote?
    No. But I don't tend to believe all I hear anyhow.
    Do i think it was all a lie?
    No. I would suppose most of it was true, to a certain extend.

But the book was not the great revelation for me.

He is - or rather has - been over playing his shtick, for sure.
    However, all things considered, he is not nearly as bad as the other two charlatans who shall remain unnamed!
    In the gimmick department, bragging department and gadgetry department!

From what I understand, a lot of the MR audience has nothing to do with horses, likely never will. But if they take home something positive, who am I to judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

And see, when I brought my gelding, I didn't see a whole bunch of prep work done with the horses before hand. He did select them himself, and all that included was setting them in the round pen for max five minutes. He wasn't running them around til they slathered, and he chose the ones that were noticibly on the hotter side.

I didn't leave my horse, since it was a fair travel distance for me, and quite honestly I didn't feel comfortable leaving him there at a new place with strangers. So I know for a fact he wasn't touched after Monty saw him. And my guy was in the round pen for literally under three minutes. And never got near the trailer(he was the trailer demo).

I did not see a piece of twine go over the gums for the 'bucking horse' demo, and am disappointed to hear that he'd do that.

And as a huge coincidence, the pmu farm owners that I bought my tb from was actually in the crowd of 5000+ people! They had actually bought him through a tb auction as a stallion to add to their program, and on his papers he was listed as a colt, but when they brought him home, he had been gelded! Which was a good thing, he had no redeeming stallion qualities at all. But they recognized him right away, even though it had been four years since seeing him(he was solid black save for a tiny star on his forehead and small anklet). So we had a nice catch-up chit chat, and were not suprised he still wouldn't load.

The trailer they used for the demo was completely opposite than mine. Mine was an old two horse, strait load with a partition in the middle. Monty's was a low to the ground, three horse angle haul that could have hauled a moose. After ten minutes he had the horse trotting into it on a 15' rope.

When the show was over and time to go home, my horse did not want to load lol!, there was so much commotion going on and he was stressed, so I went to Monty, who had a huge line of people waiting to get books signed and told him I was having problems, and he went and got him loaded for me without a fuss. I guess I just didn't have what it took with that horse!

He was really polite, and seemed quite genuine to me, and not at all arrogant. He even had one of his staff run and grab me his trailering and groundwork videos when we were leaving.