The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My non-horsey (but very supportive) mother took me to a Monty Roberts demo when I was about 10 years old. She was super impressed, but I remember feeling let down and that he was not quite as cool as reading his books lead me to believe.

He worked with a bucker and his solution was to put a dummy on its back for the demo and for the owners to continue doing this until the horse learned that bucking would not make the "rider" fall off. Even at 10 years old (thanks to good instructors who taught me to put the horse's health and comfort first) I was dismayed that there was no effort to check how the tack fit the horse and not even the slightest attempt at checking to see if he was exhibiting any obvious soreness anywhere in his body.

I don't drink kool-aid (too much sugar) and I steer clear of the Peps and any other natural horseman that claims to fix whatever, and that their way is the best so I avoided Roberts all through the guy from down under; but my question lines up with Superminion, what happened and why all the hub-bub?

I love Chronicle. Double thumbs up to everyone who posted!

1 members found this post helpful.

While it may be true enough that families are often in denial, his siblings/relatives/friends deny all the abuse he alleges in his book, and the truth of a lot of the other stuff in his book is doubtful. He's also been caught out several times with shod, well-handled horses passed off as wild and unstarted.

\\http://citizensforjustice.org/compon...ent/article/53

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Whispers.../dp/1929055447

Interesting!

My kindle was just getting to the last book on the list.... Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

My aunt was all gaga over the book.
    When I read it I did not find it all to eye opening.
    He had some interesting stuff but most of it was not exactly new to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    While it may be true enough that families are often in denial, his siblings/relatives/friends deny all the abuse he alleges in his book, and the truth of a lot of the other stuff in his book is doubtful. He's also been caught out several times with shod, well-handled horses passed off as wild and unstarted.

I remember back when the "Horse Whisperer" hype was in full swing, many of my friends - especially the non-horsey ones - encouraged me to read the book about him, "The Man Who Listens to Horses" or whatever it was called ... I started reading it but never finished it ... Something about the tone just turned me off.

Then later on, I began hearing that his father, the horrible, vicious, violent horse abuser whose brutal methods inspired Monty to invent natural horsemanship, wasn't actually cruel to his horses at all.

Nothing to really comment on about the 'i'm the greatest' comments except that maybe he is getting a little senile? I don't know.

But Monty did work with one of my thoroughbreds on trailering mid 2000's and had a great and positive outcome. There was no coaching or training before hand, infact I told him that, if I got the horse to his show he had to take him or help me get him back on the trailer, because nobody was going to get this horse to do it. No matter how nice you asked or what I did, he would just turn his brain right off and his eyes would glaze over.

I have had problem horses that did not want to trailer before, and had trained them to self load, I just could not get through to this TB gelding. So that is my Monty story! That and I am very embarrassed to say that my toddler son, who was usually so polite, quiet and well behaved threw sand at Monty at the demo. At least he didn't try to join up with him lolol
    L

LOL. Well, marketing.... never occurred to me. Another horse I had (FWIW, both the grounch and this one were Appies), thought that it was fun to play games about being caught. No problem in the stall or small paddock, but if he was in turnout....He was a sweet horse, but as I said, it was a game for him. So...one day I had turned him out in one of the larger arenas. When it was time to come in, he wanted to play. I tried for a few minutes to catch him, but he was having too much fun. So I walked away from him and stopped with my back turned to him. Within a minute or less, he was right b behind me, snuffling at my shoulder. Voila! Join-up! And I never thought to market it....Sure could use the money now.... LOL!!

Well for those of you who didn't make it to the end of the video, Monty tells people that while not all traditional trainers are abusive, most of them are. Which I guess is nothing new - we certainly hear that from PP, et al.

I have to say I think a lot of Buck Brannaman for never calling Monty on that whole "the Horse Whisperer was based on ME" load of hooey.

The breathy lady was Kelly Marks, with her horse Pie. She's written a few books, two of which I have. Perfect Partners and Perfect Manners. I never actually finished Perfect Manners. Nothing weird in there except for the round-penning. But not real helpful either.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    I saw an interview with him years ago where he was training horses for Jesus. If Jesus is God, why can't he train his own horses??? And why would he hire Monty Roberts to train them???

That was awesome!

If you believe the bible, Solomon was using horses and chariots long before Monty was ever around. ha!

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    That was awesome!

If you believe the bible, Solomon was using horses and chariots long before Monty was ever around. ha!

As far as you know.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I watched the video and didn't find anything particularly ego driven in it. It was filmed in association with the release of the film. It was filmed in 2011 and he says the play had been on stage for 3 years. He must have had something to do with the training of the cast or he wouldn't have been on the stage with them, right? Being British they probably did read his book in an attempt to understand how horses think. I'm sure the producers of the movie put the video together if anyone wants to check.

I read Monte's book when it was first released and it got a lot out of it. Most of it wasn't new information but it put into words a lot of what we old timers had learned on our own.

The book by the "family" was written in 1999 and as sounds a bit like jumping on the book bandwagon to make a buck to me. But that's just MHO.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post

You know, I had found his book at a yard sale and read it, then wondered about all the personal stuff he included. I bought a book about horses, not public 'therapy.' It kind of turned me off and made me wonder about the validity of his equine info.

How'd he make all the money to buy the spread in Santa Ynez?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

That's always something I really wonder about with many of these big name clinicians. I know the horses used in demos are pretty well screened beforehand but how many of them advocate checking physical or equipment issues first? It's always the training method. Don't get it.

My grandmother took me to a MR clinic when I was pretty young too, and I remember the "bucker" he had. His solution was to take a piece of twine, loop it under the horses upper lip (across his gums like a lip chain), string it over the top of the horses head and attach it to the saddle. He explained that when the horse put it's head down to buck, it would automatically correct the horse.

I had read the book and been pretty captivated with this "new" (to me at least) way of training, but when I saw that, I was completely mortified. Seemed to be a gimmick, something that went against all those "natural" ways he had talked about, and a cruel one at that, what if the horse stumbled? Or what if the horse put his head down because he'd been roundpenning the horse for an hour before this and had been ASKING the horse to lower it's head?! Horse never did end up trying to buck. I'm sure he felt that line tug on his gums every time he even thought about lowering his head. I guess it worked at the moment but it didn't fix anything.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderInTheRain View Post
    My non-horsey (but very supportive) mother took me to a Monty Roberts demo when I was about 10 years old. She was super impressed, but I remember feeling let down and that he was not quite as cool as reading his books lead me to believe.

He worked with a bucker and his solution was to put a dummy on its back for the demo and for the owners to continue doing this until the horse learned that bucking would not make the "rider" fall off. Even at 10 years old (thanks to good instructors who taught me to put the horse's health and comfort first) I was dismayed that there was no effort to check how the tack fit the horse and not even the slightest attempt at checking to see if he was exhibiting any obvious soreness anywhere in his body.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

MR put on a demo that benefited one of the local therapeutic riding centers I volunteered at so it was probably 2002. I got roped into setting up for the demo. He was NOT a particularly nice human being. He flipped out and screamed at numerous volunteers because we didn't have this sign or that banner in the exact right location (I'm talking a few inches off of where they "should" have been). We didn't get things assembled quickly enough. Not that anyone was screwing around, we just weren't familiar with how things got put together so it took a bit longer than his staff might have been able to do it. Several volunteers walked out. The ones that stayed, stayed so the riding center would get their benefit money.

The horses were CAREFULLY screened. And were worked with earlier in the day by his minions long before the crowds showed up. So it was true that HE had never worked with the horses before, but they certainly had some clue about what he was doing as they had seen it in the minions that morning.

As part of the deal the center worked out, the volunteers were all to get a free ticket to the demo and a signed photo. He acted like it was a HUGE chore to talk to each of us for 30 seconds to find out our name to put it on the photo.

Anyway, just my experience with him.

2 members found this post helpful.

He displays typical antisocial (sociopath) tendencies I see in my workplace (mental health) It is rampant in the horse world...

I love his commercial on HRTV.."race horses, I've worked with THOUSANDS of race horses". Is that physically possible? I guess if you only worked with race horses your entire 60 yr career it might be possible, but according to the commercial he's had 9 world champions (some kind of cow horses) and numerous other world beaters. Even the top race trainers in the country don't "work" with thousands of horses. Maybe on paper, but not hands on.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    How'd he make all the money to buy the spread in Santa Ynez?
    And that's a whooooole 'nother kettle of fish. On the other hand, I think he sold half of it at some point because part of the property's Bella Cavalli Farms & Vineyard now. The training track's on their side, and they have grapes in the infield. Nice place, the barn's just to die for.