The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Natural Remedies for Coccidia - Senior Dog

I am reaching out to the COTH community seeking information about natural remedies for Coccidia. I have a 16 year old dog with kidney disease that the vet has expressed concern about standard treatments. She is currently on metronidazole and a bland diet. The vet is hoping it will correct on its own.

Has anyone had success using a homeopathic remedy? If so, what did you use that won't stress the kidneys or is high in phosphorus? She can be a picky eater at times as well. Currently her appetite is good - on rice and chicken.

I tried searching on the web and found Kocci but it's $30 + shipping. I have no idea if it works. I've spent at least $1300 on vet bills in the past month. One thing after another including a flea infestation. First one in 16 years of pet ownership.

Thank you.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Usually you need Albion for coccidia. It is inexpensive and relatively gentle (can be used in young puppies)

Puppies have healthy kidneys. Albon is not recommended for dogs with Kidney disease. See below.

Side Effects of Albon:

Kidney Problems
    Albon has been known to cause kidney issues in dogs. Because of this factor, it should not be used for dogs that have a history of kidney disease or on breeds in which kidney problems are known to prevalent.

I'm trying a product called Custom Blend by Animal Essentials Animals Apawthecary. I bought it at a local Healthy Animal food store. It's better than nothing.
    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup